International Rescue Committee

Updated November 15, 2014
4.1

International Rescue Committee President and CEO David Miliband
David Miliband

Pros
  • Great work environment, very respectful and great Leadership (in 7 reviews)

• If you're going to work in refugee resettlement IRC is definitely the best one to work for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The high turnover is sometimes a result of people burning out (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication between each section of the office (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great vision, stellar work environment

I worked at International Rescue Committee

Pros

Gain industry experience, hands on approach to work, great colleagues.

Cons

Honestly, my experience was fantastic. No negatives here.

Amazing organization, but not the best at training employees

Former Employee - Program Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Program Officer in New York, NY

I worked at International Rescue Committee full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful work culture, your colleagues are there to provide support if needed. Great at sending to you in the field to get a better sense of on-the-ground programs (and this is a major plus because it gives you great insight as to how to effectively run programs within the 'real world' context). I was very impressed with everyone that worked there - you can't get away with working here with a poor work ethic. Dedicated, smart, hard-working people throughout. I was proud to work there.

Cons

Departments can be stretched thin in providing the needed support and training to new comers who may need that extra bit of attention when first starting out at the company. Burn-out (lots of requirements and not enough guidance to know that you're heeding them). Pay could be better, but then remember what you're working for and the % of resources that goes towards meaningful and much needed programs abroad.

Invest in more training for newcomers - it's intimidating to enter and navigate one's self around the IRC without more proper training to feel more suited to given role.

Interesting Experience

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at International Rescue Committee as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The staff at the San Diego branch of the IRC were friendly, very willing to answer questions and provide feedback, and professional. I really enjoyed getting to interact with such a great group of people in the office as I went about my internship duties. The office culture was more casual, and the staff and interns were expected to dress in business casual.

The internship, which was mainly helping refugees create a resume, understand more about the American work sector, and how to apply for jobs. The clients were all very friendly and although it was difficult for them to understand at times since many were still learning English, they adapted and often appointments to help them find jobs were filled with a lot of light humor and cheery patience.

Cons

The internship was difficult in the beginning because, given the nature of the internship, much of the training in learning how to interact with clients and navigate learning how to explain sometimes abstract terminology in a way they could grasp, since the majority of the clients were in the process of learning English. As well, sometimes I did not feel like I had much to do, and needed to be proactive in finding other things to do during my scheduled time there.

Outline potential duties for the interns when clients don't show would be helpful

Great place, great mission

I worked at International Rescue Committee as a contractor

Pros

I worked under contract at the NYC headquarters. The team was young, smart and hardworking. Lots of great personalities. It was a fun challenge, and it helped that everyone working there believed in the mission with all their bleeding hearts. There were stressful, late nights, but most people seemed to enjoy the work.

Cons

Long hours, and probably not a lot of pay unless you're at the senior level. There's quite a bit of turn-over in some of the departments, probably due to burn out and poor communication among the management team.

Intern at HQ

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at International Rescue Committee as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone working here is very friendly and open. If you need help with anything, it's easy to find someone to speak with, and they're happy to help.

Cons

HQ has a lot of bureaucracy, so be prepared to deal with a lot of red tape. Also I can't speak on the field offices, but the HQ feels very, very corporate which I wasn't a fan of.

The IRC has provided me with excellent opportunity and very rewarding challenges.

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at International Rescue Committee full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The greatest aspects of working at the IRC are the flexibility and independence afforded its employees, no matter the level.

Cons

For such a large humanitarian organization, salary does not seem as competitive as it could be. This needs to be improved to retain high quality staff.

Keep up the intellectual enthusiasm about the work that IRC does as well as the emphasis on personal growth.

Very Rewarding

Former Employee - Resource Developer in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Resource Developer in Miami, FL

I worked at International Rescue Committee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Caring for employees, very inspiring, good management involvement from HQ related to well-being of personnel in satellite offices, great benefits

Cons

low salaries, sometimes not very experienced personnel is hired due to these low salaries offered.

be more careful with hiring process and offer more management-level opportunities in offices

An intern's experience

I have been working at International Rescue Committee as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to interact with clients
    Learning more about the refugee resettlement process
    At times, being able to use language skills
    Genuinely friendly and motivated staff

Cons

Routine nature of work in certain departments

Offer more opportunities for interns to experience different departments

Great intern experience

Former Employee - Tax Prep in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Prep in San Diego, CA

I worked at International Rescue Committee as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to interact with a lot of different people as a tax prep intern and I thoroughly enjoyed feeling like I've helped these low income families complete their tax returns. The other people in the office were always very friendly and it seemed like everybody got along.

Cons

There was little interaction between the tax interns and the rest of the office at times, but it didn't really matter because the tax room was always busy.

Great place to intern

Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at International Rescue Committee as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Have a robust internship program with lots of opportunities for undergrads and masters' students to gain valuable experience working with clients, and also see what it's like to work in an international non-profit office

Cons

There is no room for professional development -- not alot of opportunities for interns to be taken on full-time (full time positions are sparse)

Create more opportunities for professional development

International Rescue Committee Photos