International Sports Management

International Sports Management Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.7

ISM is truly a team effort.

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a part of the Operations Department, I really enjoy working at ISM. The job definitely has its challenges from finding the best sites to host hospitality, planning in different cities each year, and a lot of vendor sourcing and negotiation.

My interaction with clients is a positive, as communication in the months leading up to an event is just as important as representing them during the event itself. While our sales staff have a relationship with the CEO/President/Vice President/etc at a certain company, many times our client’s support staff (administrative assistants, marketing managers, event planners) will contact us directly to work out any additional services (hotels, tee times in the area, ground transportation, etc).

I enjoy the interaction that we have with our sales teams in all of our offices. From the first day of training (whether in person or on a conference call), to monthly event updates with sales teams, to working with sales managers while they are at events with our clients, the ability to have everyone updated and on the same page helps them be able to paint the picture of our events to a potential client.

Cons

I would like to participate in more international events since our event portfolio is 80% domestic.

Dec 23, 2014Employer Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We would like to see more events outside of the U.S. as well and continue to work on developing the markets in other countries.

Three months in and things are great (so far!)

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been here just shy of 3 months and the culture is really fun. Most everyone is young-ish and seems pretty driven. So far I have won a number of incentives and landed my first sale as well (paid within 1 week!) Calling and interacting with executives (mainly VPs, Presidents, CEOs) is really interesting.

Free lunch incentives often, game tickets, and what looks to be a great holiday schedule! Our Christmas party is coming up and sounds fun too. My manager has been very helpful and instructive while helping me. So have the other managers (that I've seen.) I have read some of the other negative reviews and I haven't seen or felt anything like they have described (though I'm definitely keeping my eyes open for it.)

The CRM system works well (but it takes some time to learn how to use it most effectively.) It's nice to get feedback on my work and have others be able to review/ critique. Again, so far everyone has been positive and helpful.

I just became eligible for the healthcare too- seems really good (blue cross.) Next up is the 401K which will be my first "retirement" program I've been involved with.

Cons

The learning curve is definitely high. The training gives you the basics but it takes lots of practice to get better. I have seen some people attain Senior AE and hopefully will be there early next year. The office seems cold in the mornings before the heat gets going too.

More work on training concepts. Everything makes sense but having the chance to practice more with those who have had success would be nice.

Few are actually successful, others make sales periodically. Majority of sales per office come from one or two people.

I worked at International Sports Management full-time

Pros

- There is a base salary and everyday you have potential for large commissions.
    - I like a lot of the people I work with.
    - Networking capabilities with high powered indeviduals.

Cons

- After your first couple of weeks, management pay little attention to your sucesses unless you make sales.
    - Few actually succeed, average salary in the office is 20K, if that.
    - Average person makes 0-1 sale a year if they last.
    - The system only allows people to target company representatives with dicision making power, excluding people with marketing backgrounds. (Presidents, CEOs, Vice Presidents- who are in sales.)
    - They try to play both sides of the fence, say you are salaried, but get no sick days and if you call in sick your pay is deducted. Truly an hourly position, with no overtime pay.

Change the system so the company can grow from a $10-20 Million company to a $100-200 Million company. This could easily be done by changing the select few we target, the deadlines we put in place, and the mind set to just fill the seats on the sales floor rather than invest in those with potential. Also, be honest to recruits, no need to lie. Management only does what they are told.

Dec 23, 2014Employer Representative

We appreciate hearing feedback and some of what has been written is accurate. For instance, there are very specific titles of individuals that have the decision making authority related to our sales ... More

Difficult, Frustrating work, great atmosphere in the office

I worked at International Sports Management

Pros

Talk about sports all day, business hours (8-5), national holidays off, management is really nice, young sales teams

Cons

This job is 100% inside sales and mostly cold calling. Two things right off the bat that are very difficult to make sales with. The most frustrating part about inside sales is that it is very difficult to get the right people on the phone, especially with how expensive the ticketing and hospitality packages are that International Sports Management provides. Once you get the right folks on the phone, it's difficult to keep them on because it's a cold call.

Your salary is base plus commission, but because commission is so difficult to come by, it is a really poor paying job for the majority of people.

You're constantly lying to everyone you talk to on the phone. Whether it is an operator, assistant, or the actual person you are trying to talk to, you're lying. I realize that most sales people have to tell some sort of lie to make a sale or to beat out a competitor, but with cold call sales, lying makes it a lot harder to make a sale.

The training is a joke. While it was good for me personally to learn from trial and error, it lasted about 2 days and the managers pretty much make you make mistakes to learn from and get better for the future. My biggest problem with that is you don't know if the person on the other line is interested, so if they are, and you screw up and they hang up on you, there's no backup plan. It's just trial and error.

Another this that really bothered me about working for International Sports Management is that were was no system to tell who was calling what company. There are sales people in different offices calling the same companies, getting the same people on the phone and there is no way for you to know. The point here is that it wastes a lot of time and probably irritates the companies you call even more. This company seems to lack basic sales software needed to run a successful business.

Pay your employees better, instead of 1500 a month base, pay 2000. I'll bet you'll see a lot more stick around.

Dec 3, 2014Employer Representative

Firstly, thank you for commenting on the environment. It is an area as a company that we have been putting effort into from the top down and look to continue.

As for the frustration over the
    ... More

Tragic

Former Employee - Team Leader in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the Sales Managers are truly good guys and will do their best to look out for their team. Work/Life balance isn't bad. Generous time off, company shut-down at Xmas means an extra week of paid vacation.

Cons

Every time someone in management tried to do something different, fun, or "better", it would quickly be shot down and stopped by the (then) general manager. Base salary is a joke, and then paid hourly. No overtime is paid for the (mandatory) off-work tasks you're given, but there's no leeway for sick time, being late, or some other doctor appointment or the like.

Everyone lies then lies to themselves that they're just "playing the sales game". The GM used to make a big deal out of this, going so far as to say, "It's not a lie if you believe it".

Alpha Male territory. Everything is moved along with fear and intimidation. Upper management has middle management fire people who don't deserve it just to motivate other people.

You will be lied to. You will be told you're the best of the best and that you have the best service in the industry. Again, you will be lied to. I had clients come back to me after events and complain about things.

They will hire anybody. We were told to get bodies in the seats and weed them out later. Appearances of success being more important than success itself.

The CEO will visit once a month and generally try to stir things up when he's there. He likes to yell and intimidate as well, and everyone below him seems to fall into line.

Promotion here gets down to sales. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

I really can't think of what management can do to change things or make them better, as the CEO is hands-on and actively promotes the toxic culture that exists.

Dec 3, 2014Employer Representative

Thank you for your response. We are sorry to hear you had such a poor experience, esp. because according to this you were part of the management team. Please note, part way through October there were ... More

Account Executive

I worked at International Sports Management

Pros

Hire anyone no matter how experienced you are.

Cons

Use you and don't care if you make any money.

Oct 30, 2014Employer Representative

Thank you for your response. ISM actually cares deeply about our employees. It's important that they not only make money but also experience success in their respective role within the company. The ... More

Great place to learn the art of inside Sales

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at International Sports Management full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management team is always there to help/coach you through a call and ultimately close a sale. The daily motivation, training and guidance is a perfect place to sharpen your craft of sales. The environment is sports, hard-working, dedicated, energetic and most of all a lively work atmosphere.

Cons

There is a learning curve and it's not for everyone. But if you stick with it and are willing to learn you will grow as a success in sales and as a person. No sugar coating here....In any sales position/job there is no silver spoon. The success you get out of the position is directly correlated to the effort you put in.

Be a little more open to newer staff/veterans ideas that could potentially help the company in the long run (Suggestion box). Also, take more pics and even video of our hospitality sites, so that we can see how the events are run and it gives the newer employees a clearer picture of how truly awesome our events are.

Horrible leadership that does not train employees well and constantly forcing you to lie about ticket availability

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at International Sports Management full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Did not see any Pros as everybody that worked on my team quit before or after I left

Cons

Training is a joke..they expect you to make 150 or so calls a day without properly training you how to get to the people you need to talk with..most people want nothing to do with you once you get them on the phone and they see that the packages are too expensive and not worth their time. Horrible work environment

Train employees better and be honest with your employees. Explain to them that you will not make much money unless you make sales and explain how hard it is to make a sale

Aug 7, 2014Employer Representative

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The sales process presents varying challenges and the learning curve is different for everyone. With respect to the events that are sold, inventory levels are in ... More

Great VP/P/CEO selling experience and better money!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

Pros

Contracts pay big money! There is no limit on the size of the sale and the bigger the sale, the better the commission.
    Being able to call all industries is great- not pigeon holed into anything.
    Calling on CEO's is challenging but you learn a ton from it.
    Monthly (sometimes daily) incentives in the office- everything from emails to deals. Last month a guy won 2 RT tickets anywhere in the US!
    Cool location- downtown near the river and close to the MAX so it's easy to get there.
    Good chance for advancement- saw a guy get promoted soon after I arrived to a manager position.

Cons

It's not "easy"- to be good you must put in the work and learn how to use all the sales tools.

More incentives and more chances to go to the events!!

ISM has been a fruitful experience - A significant B2B learning environment with a potential to make a ton of dough.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The Sales floor really enjoys a 'work-hard, play-hard' mentality, which I thrive on. And The $-potential with commissions is uncapped and high. Health, Dental and 401k are great as well. B2B Corporate Hospitality is currently growing also.

Cons

The sales process must be learned and earned - Those without sales experience may have trouble understanding the amount of calls needed to succeed. No wimps - Must have a drive to win.