International Sports Management

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James Metzger

Great VP/P/CEO selling experience and better money!

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsContracts pay big money! There is no limit on the size of the sale and the bigger the sale, the better the commission.
    Being able to call all industries is great- not pigeon holed into anything.
    Calling on CEO's is challenging but you learn a ton from it.
    Monthly (sometimes daily) incentives in the office- everything from emails to deals. Last month a guy won 2 RT tickets anywhere in the US!
    Cool location- downtown near the river and close to the MAX so it's easy to get there.
    Good chance for advancement- saw a guy get promoted soon after I arrived to a manager position.

ConsIt's not "easy"- to be good you must put in the work and learn how to use all the sales tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentives and more chances to go to the events!!

ISM has been a fruitful experience - A significant B2B learning environment with a potential to make a ton of dough.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe Sales floor really enjoys a 'work-hard, play-hard' mentality, which I thrive on. And The $-potential with commissions is uncapped and high. Health, Dental and 401k are great as well. B2B Corporate Hospitality is currently growing also.

ConsThe sales process must be learned and earned - Those without sales experience may have trouble understanding the amount of calls needed to succeed. No wimps - Must have a drive to win.

Don't be fooled by the good reviews

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsYou get paid, some people are fun to work with, there isn't too much other good stuff.

ConsYou really do have to lie all day, people are not making this up. After taxes you can expect to make $1200 a month, which put you below the poverty line (congrats to you!) You honestly will not make a sale until you have been there for at least three-five months. During the work day you are expected to only make calls - 160 minimum. All research (25 new accounts with 125 contacts in each) must be done outside of work hours, so that means at the end of each work day you are required to go home and work. It adds up to about 2-3 extra hours of work you have to do that you will not be compensated for. Also, you are expected to stay late at least two days a week to make "after hours" calls. you can expect to put in 2-3 hours of after hours a week. So all in all, that adds up to 4-6 hours a week or 16-24 extra hours of work you will not be paid for each month. Keep in mind you are making $1200 a month.

Now you do get treated like crap. Hope you are okay with that. Being told you suck, being belittled, having things thrown at you, dealing with a drunk boss. These are all parts of being an account executive at ISM. Here is a fun part... Because the turn over here is so high, when you start people will bet money on you to find out how long you can last before you quit. Most people don't make it through training, those that do usually last for 1-2 weeks. Anyone that last's more than that ends up hating their life.

Here is another thing. You will be told you are salary... You are not! If you miss a day, you will not be paid for it. If there are fewer work days in a month your "salary" is adjusted for that. It's sketchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop encouraging a culture of lying to VPs and CEOs. Make training longer. 3 days of training is not enough time to learn the job. Pay your employees better. Treat your employees better. Do everyone a favor and stop posting positive reviews to compensate for how people really think working here is like.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

FULL OF LIES

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere is no Pros working for this company, other than the omelet bar they have at their events.

ConsPoor Management, bad work ethic, unprofessional . If they offer you a job, your better off working at Walmart.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Writing Reviews on Glassdoor to make this company seem any what Legit.
    This company is nothing but lies.

Cool events and very good money BUT not easy to master.

Account Executive (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsLearn to sell to VP, President, and C-Level
    Get a chance to see the event you are selling (saw co-workers go to Pebble Beach)
    Make good commissions, though not consistent (my 2nd month I made 3 sales, none my 3rd)
    Office incentives (I won tickets to a Blazers game.)
    Location is pretty easy to get to on Tri-Met
    Salesforce works well (though sometimes is s-l-o-w!)
    Have been told there is a 401K but not eligible until 6 months
    Health care coverage is really inexpensive and good!

ConsSales are there but you must stay focused or your pipeline can dry up fast
    It seems like sales happen come in waves, not consistently
    Different events take a while to learn how to sell
    You have to build you client list and don't get existing clients
    Making sure you have enough emails - this seems to be something that can always be better (though it makes sense.)

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see more opportunities to attend events sooner. Also, the other offices seem very independent and while our office appears to have a good group, it would be fun to compete more with other offices and see how they ar doing.

Positive place to learn Inside Sales

Team Leader (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsTeam management is team focused and keyed in on your personal success. Supportive atmosphere with co-workers. Recent upgrades to technology make lead management and generation much easier.

ConsLow starting salary. Style may not be for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency in message goes a long way.

Unique Sales Jobs with lots of upside

National Sales Manager (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros-Huge potential earnings
    -Fun group of people and great comradery within the office
    -Potential to travel to some of these world class sporting events and the opportunity to meet your clients face-to-face
    -Lots of room for advancement and career opportunity (the company loves to promote from within)
    -Fun office outings when sales targets are hit (Golfing, Bowling)
    -Great benefit from Health & Dental to paid vacations and holidays
    -Fun competitive environment

Cons-More Windows
    -It is a sales job so sometimes you have to grind
    -You have to be able to take constructive criticism well and be willing to grow and learn new things (but if you are looking for any type of career then these are a must)

Advice to Senior Management-Be as thorough as possible with new hires
    -Continue to offer help and support as much as possible but that is handled very well here in Portland,
    -Make the environment as fun as possible (something I constantly do every chance I get)

Living hell

Account Executive (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNone, absolutely miserable time. Management is a joke, CEO comes in from UK and doesnt acknowledge employees that aren't at least a manager

ConsManagement lies to you during interviews about how its not telemarketing, how you can make a bunch of money, how you can move up fast. All lies, its a pyramid scheme and they will have no problem firing you at a moment's notice and bring in someone else who has the drive to make 150 calls for a week before they get sick of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementShove it

You will learn how to sell. The hard way.

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

Pros- Recruiters and hiring managers know who these guys are and will respect your resume if you can stick around with these bullies for more than 18 months.
    - Learning hard nose sales tactics and how to pound the phone (150 calls per day) will make you a better sales person for sure.

Cons- Lying is built into the script, you are required to tell everyone that the event is "about to sell out," or "is sold out but we had a last minute cancellation." These statements are 100% untrue.
    - Fire 80% of sales reps every year.
    - Very few reps make more then $30,000 per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to, at least pretend that you care about your employees. I worked there for two years and the boss from England visited every month or so. He never said even one word to the sales people. Pathetic

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork experience
    They pay you
    Young staff

ConsAlmost no training for a sales job that should be several week training process
    Extremely poor management
    100% cold calling
    No database to find leads so you call a company that has been called 5 or 6 times in the past year

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing positive on glassdoor reviews to make this job seem at all bearable. Any one interested in this job, i strongly encourage you not to. You'd make the same amount flipping burgers at Mcdonalds and you'll be a lot happier. All the positive reviews on this site are written by ISM's management, not people who actually help the position.

Worked for International Sports Management? Contribute to the Community!