Internet Brands

Updated December 7, 2014
2.9

Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco
Bob Brisco

Pros
  • You can expect a work/life balance unless you are a workaholic (in 11 reviews)

• Great work environment with activities and competent colleagues (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is significantly below market average, leading to high turnover (in 11 reviews)

• super low pay when I say low i mean LOW (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

90 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Underpaid and overworked

Current Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* lots of autonomy to use the best tools for the job
    * very hands-off management style -- no micromanaging
    * work on a variety of projects and technologies
    * dedicated QA engineers for each team make for well-tested work

Cons

* pay is significantly lower than the competition
    * health benefits are pretty weak - I ended up paying more for less in health insurance
    * no 401(k) match
    * in-house NOC is notoriously difficult to deal with - delaying portions of projects for long periods
    * promises of exceptional work/life balance turned out to be just the opposite

Dec 12, 2014CTO

I appreciate the feedback! I'll look into the issue you've been having with the NOC and make sure we get that sorted out. A key part of their charter is to quickly and efficiently provide a stable ... More

Some great people

Former Employee - Account Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues are wonderful to work with. Some of the project I worked on were challenging and interesting.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Would be better if I had a clear career path rather than just a number.

Value your employees more.

For people who want to put in the work

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity. I've been provided more opportunity to grow and make an immediate impact here than all my other jobs combined. Definitely not for the faint of heart. There's lots of work to do and you're given the opportunity to do that work from day 1. And furthermore, you're really allowed the opportunity to make the business your own. If you're invested in what you're doing, you'll work your way up in the organization.

Cons

Training. There could definitely be more. Heard that manager training was taking place, so hopefully it trickles down through the organization.

More training

Oct 24, 2014CTO

Thanks for the review! I really appreciate the ownership you feel for the work you are doing and I'm glad that you have been able to increase the scope of your responsibilities here. Also, regarding ... More

High turnover and low pay

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Internet Brands was a pretty easygoing company. It is a company that is ideal for those just getting out of college - or those who are looking to go into an entry level position. There are a lot of opportunities to learn, but there is also a lot of red tape, so be patient.

Cons

Compensation is low at Internet Brands - more suited for those coming right out of college. In some roles commissions don't start kicking in until an excess of $10k is brought in and the $10k would not be included in the overall commission structure - it was a wash. Definitely pay attention to commission structure and how they lay it out. Don't expect to incorporate any revisions in the ways things are run even if they are excellent ideas - "a big ship is difficult to turn" is their mentality.

Rather than saying Internet Brands is a big ship to turn, try to incorporate little changes recommended by employees.

Former Employee

Current Employee - Content Editor in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Content Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, great place to learn and very nice people. It's an awesome place for a first job to build a resume.

Cons

Very low pay. You will need a second job to make ends meet. There is zero opportunity for advancement. The best thing to do is get as much as you can on your resume and split as soon as you can. The company prides itself on problem-solving, but problems aren;t really ever solved. They're tinkered-with, but never resolved. In my division, we spent more time tracking operations problems than we did actually doing our jobs.

Rethink your HR policies. IB is a great company. Wages are so low that some employees can't even afford benefits. There's no 401k match. I get that you want to save money on labor, but the current system provides incentive to leave. In the long run, the cost of hiring and training accumulates.

Entry Level Sales - Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere that develops an entry level career in sales.
    Good networking opportunity
    Fun Summer events
    Good Work/Life balance

Cons

Limited upward mobility
    Management isn't always accessible
    Trimana (You'll understand)

Be more accessible as well as receptive to employee needs. It'll help with overall morale.

Internet Brands, Inc

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a pretty easy going and stable company. It's a flat company and you will be responsible for many aspects of the business. (aka you will be exposed to and learn a lot). Plenty of smart people. Middle management is great, but often times gets slowed down by Sr. Management.

Cons

There is a lack of culture and the facilities seem to be ignored. Empty boxes, old chairs, holes in the walls, broken microwaves etc...It seems some divisions are attempting to develop their own fun culture. Compensation is nothing to be desired. Internal growth is minimal.

Learn to delegate, take pride and acknowledge the great work those under you do. Consider better growth opportunities and compensation to keep the great talent that flow through. It's not sustainable otherwise.

Good First Job; Bad Career

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Internet Brands Inc. provides a really easy transition from college life into a large corporate office. The experience you get will be very valuable for your resume if you're just starting out.

*The dress is casual, the hours are flexible, and the managers are, for the most part, very nice.

*If you're working directly in one of the verticals, you have the option of embarking on your own projects so long as you can prove that they are valuable to your manager.

*The company also has very little overhead, and has been consistently growing from when it was founded in 1998 through the recession, to the present. Your job will be secure.

*There is a slim to none chance that you'll ever be fired once you're hired on.

*The company regularly tries to have special events and treats for its employees - particularly around the holidays and during the summer.

Cons

* The pay at Internet Brands is extremely low compared to what the industry standard would normally be for a tech company across virtually every position. This is the largest trade-off for the benefits.

* You will have to impress your managers and fight for every raise if you want one, and promotions from within are extremely rare. The company almost always hires from the outside when management positions open up. Career advancement can be challenging at this company

* Because of these first two things, turnover is high. Most employees come in, get a year or two of experience, and then move on to other companies who pay better or offer better career advancement.

* Because pay isn't very competitive, it's hard to find replacements for certain higher level positions. Sometimes recruitment for these positions takes months, and you're forced to make up the work in the meantime.

The company was recently acquired by a private firm, KKR, in June 2014. It is unclear how this could change the culture within the next year or two.

Assuming nothing changes, I would recommend that managers take a vested interest in their employees and provide them with a clear career path within the company.

Certainly it makes sense to start entry-level people off at a low salary, but if they show promise in their position or have better-than-average experience, they should be compensated accordingly for it. Additionally, without clear opportunities for career advancement, you won't fix your turnover problem.

For your tech positions, you need to hire more experienced developers and QA engineers. Pay them the industry standard, and you'll reduce the revolving door that our tech teams keep having to deal with.

Freshmen and desperate only

Current Employee - Technology in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you have no work experience it'll give you one. They don't care too much about downtime and you can learn on the job as long as you come cheap, this is their business model.

Cons

Cheap. Stingy. Bad benefits. Always trying to low ball you.
    Very crowded, noisy, offensive open office environment, you work essentially in a warehouse.
    Chaotic, add-hoc work "process", people "stepping on each other toes" all the time, there's always something broken due to ill-conceived changes mainly on the network and firewalls.
    There is no real management, you are left on your own devices
    No communication between different levels, you never know where it is going to.
    No wonder the turnover is _very_ high.

You get what you pay for.

Oct 24, 2014CTO

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like we could have been more clear in explaining some of the reasons why we operate the way we do. For one, we believe in growing our own talent and have a large ... More

Inside Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment with activities and competent colleagues.

Cons

The salary is almost insulting to be kind, 10k less than what salary.com quotes as the low medium for inside sales in this demographic. Training is sufficient however the process is clearly working for those who have built a book of business, not so much for the newbies who must survive for 6 months living off of pennies in the interim.

Pay a decent salary or at least a better initial commission structure as to where a new hire can make some decent bonus money within their first 6 months until they are up and running. Run a few campaigns allowing there to be warm leads to call, not 100% cold calling.