Internet Brands

Internet Brands Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Internet Brands CEO Bob Brisco

Bob Brisco

Pros
  • It's a positive environment and great work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• that being said a stress free work environment is never good for growth, on both a personal or company level (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is significantly below market average, leading to high turnover (in 11 reviews)

• super low pay when I say low i mean LOW (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights
77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Run as Fast as you can, do not think twice about taking a position here

Account Specialist (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsOnly pro is casual environment and schedule.

ConsEverything, pay is horrible, in the interview they sell you the job, make it seem like its very easy to make sales however you sell boring sites that never come up in searches. Managers have horrible management skills. No one is happy working here, people even have to get 2nd jobs to survive. you always see people leaving, and every tuesday is new hire orientations so you see a group of new hires taking a tour, they sure do not know what they are getting themselves into. You will meet so weird people working here....trust me run do not waste your time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more, maybe they will actually try to work and make you more money

Good opportunity

Software Developer (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsYou'll meet an interesting mix of people and have a variety of opportunities. People are for the most part friendly. They have great company holiday parties.

ConsSome projects may feel rather conventional, not overly cutting-edge. Pay rate seems to be on the lower side.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster better technical communication among employees. Discover a way for employees to more significantly and directly benefit from the fruits of their labor, so they are more inspired.

Sweatshop Tech Company

Marketing (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsLocation and late starting hours

Conshorrible managers and corporate hungry executives. The pay is terrible and there is no incentive to work. Every current employee is always searching for a way out. So save yourself some time and opportunity cost, and work for a better company!

Advice to Senior ManagementHow on earth do you all overlook your employee turnover and refuse to do anything about it?
    Your salaries and daily hand delivered lunches are a despicable waste of company money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting Field, Horrible Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGreat place to learn about online advertising. It all depends on which team you are on. Some managers will help you grow while others will just want to make sure they do not get in trouble if you do something wrong. But definitely a lot interesting things to learn if you are on the right team and bring a good attitude.

ConsThis is the best part. Everything is a con except for opportunity to learn. The pay is still around the 1920's rate. Though, engineers and programmers are closer to market rates. 401k matching - around .00001%. Annual bonus - you get to keep your job next year.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on teaching. They will learn.

It was a good starting job, overall it was ok.

Software Developer (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe relax working environment is a plus and near the beach.

ConsLack of privacy from the working benches. No cubicles

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest and listen to your employee.

Low Company Morale and Low Pay

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsDepending on your career goals, you can learn a thing or two here if you put in the time. But, take what you learn and get out of Internet Brands for greener pastures. From a media sales perspective (since I can't speak for the other roles at IB) your actual experience will vary depending on the group that you work for and the director of that group.

ConsLow pay. High turnover. Low morale. Negative vibe.

Advice to Senior ManagementBob Brisco, do not make any more jokes to the staff on how your checking account has an extra zero at the end of the balance upon taking IB private again.

Big corporation without the big pay

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsYou get to work your butt off because you work on many, many websites at once. You will never have nothing to do. Friendly people work here. Close to 105.

ConsPay is significantly below market average, leading to high turnover. No 401(k) match. Management does not seem willing to invest in infrastructure and people resources to ensure that sites run well, so sites break all the time. Corporate culture lacks direction and values, only goal seems to be to expand.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in people and tech and deliver a good product. If you don't, your products will suffer as they do now, and you will lose customers in the long run.

Casual work environment but bad pay and benefits

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsVery casual work environment. You can wear pretty much anything you want to work and get away with it. Very flexible with time off and you can go in and out as you please. As long as you get your assigned work done nobody really bothers you.

ConsPoor salary and benefits. Copays for medical are higher than I've ever had. Company does not match 401k and since pay is so low it's you need every penny from your paycheck. Turnover is very high. There's new higher orientation every Tuesday for a reason. They don't seem to do anything to keep people around. If you want cold water you better bring some bottles or a pitcher because they don't provide it. There's also a Keurig coffee machine but there's no coffee to go with it. They expect non-salespeople to sell but don't compensate you for it. Bottom line is if you need a job in a hurry its not a bad place to work but if you're looking for something long term look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least pretend like you care about employee retention. Provide basics that every other employer I've worked for provides...cold water.

Great for internships

Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThe pay is a little below industry average for a CS intern but you have lots of leeway in how deep into the system you want to work with.

ConsPeople sit at very long desks with no privacy whatsoever, so bring headphones if you are easily distracted.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe initial phase of learning the workflow was very erratic. There was often conflicting advice from different team members, so develop a better introduction plan.

The Real Deal...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsWhen I was interviewing here, a former employee called and said "it's the WORST experience I've ever had!" She warned me about all kinds of things: high turnover, cheap management, lack of process, etc.

But I wanted to make up my own mind, so I asked some tough questions during my interview, and I took the job. It was a great decision.

I've been here for 3 years. I've gotten promoted a couple times, I've gotten the chance to develop a team, re-imagine how we do our department's processes, and my supervisor has been very supportive - both personally and professionally. I've made some friends and moved my career in a great direction.

Internet Brands is a solid place. Not perfect, mind you, but solid.

Technology: we have more web traffic than Instagram, and nearly as much as Netflix, but our business is spread across 10 categories and 200+ websites. We don't have to solve a couple business puzzles like a single-site business. Our business units face down innumerable challenges every day. It moves fast, and our tech team is literally world-class. There are few in the industry as good as them.

Business model: We are diversified across 10 business categories, and try to connect highly-engaged consumers with valuable user-generated content based on issues they care about. I'm proud to be connected to a network of sites that are geared towards providing quality internet content, rather than being a farm of marginal/worthless content that's only designed to generate once-off pageviews.

Company culture: We are a dot-com, and it's very friendly/casual. There's an annual ping-pong tournament, there's casual dress, low ego, few offices, open floorplan, ocean views, great location (assuming you live on the westside).

ConsHere's the deal on our negative reputation:

- We are budget-conscious (what some on here call "cheap"), but we've also never had a layoff or a negative-growth quarter, so we're clearly doing something right.

Lesson: ask for a fair salary that 1) fits your salary history and 2) you can be happy with, because they'll take you at your word and make an offer that fits in your "acceptable range." Lesson 2: If you've been at the company a while and haven't gotten a raise, ASK for one! We're not the government - we don't have automatic raises that go into effect every Jan. 1, so - own your career growth and put on your adult-shoes: ask for some feedback and a raise if you want one.

- In certain sectors, turnover sucks, and the Internet is one of them: companies poach from each other all the time. We also have a very large sales force, and of course if you don't make your numbers, you'll be wished well and sent on your way. So our turnover is about on par with our competition in those fields: about 10-15% annual in tech, and 20-25% annual in sales (nearly 30% in auto sales).

There's a certain class of employee that jumps ship every 12-18 months to look for the next thing, and then there's the people who are "lifers" and never take a new job no matter what, but I think we're pretty well-balanced from that angle. There's really not a ton of "churn" in the crucial positions. Having been here 3 years, most of the good people have been here along with me, if not longer. Plus the senior management - people actually running the business - have been here consistently 3-5 years. So the strategy/management of the company is very stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementBob Brisco - the CEO - should communicate directly with the employees much more often, and share his vision for where the company is going. In fact, probably all the C-level execs (other than the CTO - who does a great job with this) should be more visible at all levels of the organization, and in the community at large. I think it would go a long way towards building internal community, and also trusting them with the overall direction of the company.

Worked for Internet Brands? Contribute to the Community!