Internet Brands Reviews

• Los Angeles, CA Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

First job out of college

Current Employee - Content Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Content Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands

Pros

Flexible schedule, usually stress-free environment

Cons

Unresponsive management, low pay, not learning anything

Advice to Management

Consider feedback with your lower-level employees.

Good stepping stone, but not good for the long term.

Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, flexible hours.

Cons

No performance reviews. Flat structure with no opportunity to move up. Low pay.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. Spend time developing their talents and giving them new opportunities.

Furstrating, low pay, websites are all garbage

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands (More than a year)

Pros

I met some nice people.

Cons

Low pay, weird politics, hard to be proud of working for a company that basically buys and ruins websites.

Underpaid and overworked

Current Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* lots of autonomy to use the best tools for the job * very hands-off management style -- no micromanaging * work on a variety of projects and technologies * dedicated QA engineers for each team make for well-tested work

Cons

* pay is significantly lower than the competition * health benefits are pretty weak - I ended up paying more for less in health insurance * no 401(k) match * in-house NOC is notoriously difficult to deal with - delaying portions of projects for long periods * promises of exceptional work/life balance turned out to be just the opposite

Internet Brands Response

Dec 12, 2014 – CTO

I appreciate the feedback! I'll look into the issue you've been having with the NOC and make sure we get that sorted out. A key part of their charter is to quickly and efficiently provide a stable ... More

6. Some great people

Former Employee - Account Specialist in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues are wonderful to work with. Some of the project I worked on were challenging and interesting.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Would be better if I had a clear career path rather than just a number.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more.

For people who want to put in the work

Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity. I've been provided more opportunity to grow and make an immediate impact here than all my other jobs combined. Definitely not for the faint of heart. There's lots of work to do and you're given the opportunity to do that work from day 1. And furthermore, you're really allowed the opportunity to make the business your own. If you're invested in what you're doing, you'll work your way up in the organization.

Cons

Training. There could definitely be more. Heard that manager training was taking place, so hopefully it trickles down through the organization.

Advice to Management

More training

Internet Brands Response

Oct 24, 2014 – CTO

Thanks for the review! I really appreciate the ownership you feel for the work you are doing and I'm glad that you have been able to increase the scope of your responsibilities here. Also, regarding ... More

High turnover and low pay

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Internet Brands was a pretty easygoing company. It is a company that is ideal for those just getting out of college - or those who are looking to go into an entry level position. There are a lot of opportunities to learn, but there is also a lot of red tape, so be patient.

Cons

Compensation is low at Internet Brands - more suited for those coming right out of college. In some roles commissions don't start kicking in until an excess of $10k is brought in and the $10k would not be included in the overall commission structure - it was a wash. Definitely pay attention to commission structure and how they lay it out. Don't expect to incorporate any revisions in the ways things are run even if they are excellent ideas - "a big ship is difficult to turn" is their mentality.

Advice to Management

Rather than saying Internet Brands is a big ship to turn, try to incorporate little changes recommended by employees.

Former Employee

Current Employee - Content Editor in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Content Editor in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, great place to learn and very nice people. It's an awesome place for a first job to build a resume.

Cons

Very low pay. You will need a second job to make ends meet. There is zero opportunity for advancement. The best thing to do is get as much as you can on your resume and split as soon as you can. The company prides itself on problem-solving, but problems aren;t really ever solved. They're tinkered-with, but never resolved. In my division, we spent more time tracking operations problems than we did actually doing our jobs.

Advice to Management

Rethink your HR policies. IB is a great company. Wages are so low that some employees can't even afford benefits. There's no 401k match. I get that you want to save money on labor, but the current system provides incentive to leave. In the long run, the cost of hiring and training accumulates.

Internet Brands, Inc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a pretty easy going and stable company. It's a flat company and you will be responsible for many aspects of the business. (aka you will be exposed to and learn a lot). Plenty of smart people. Middle management is great, but often times gets slowed down by Sr. Management.

Cons

There is a lack of culture and the facilities seem to be ignored. Empty boxes, old chairs, holes in the walls, broken microwaves etc...It seems some divisions are attempting to develop their own fun culture. Compensation is nothing to be desired. Internal growth is minimal.

Advice to Management

Learn to delegate, take pride and acknowledge the great work those under you do. Consider better growth opportunities and compensation to keep the great talent that flow through. It's not sustainable otherwise.

Entry Level Sales - Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere that develops an entry level career in sales. Good networking opportunity Fun Summer events Good Work/Life balance

Cons

Limited upward mobility Management isn't always accessible Trimana (You'll understand)

Advice to Management

Be more accessible as well as receptive to employee needs. It'll help with overall morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed