Internet Brands

Employer Engaged

Entry Level Sales - Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere that develops an entry level career in sales.
    Good networking opportunity
    Fun Summer events
    Good Work/Life balance

Cons

Limited upward mobility
    Management isn't always accessible
    Trimana (You'll understand)

Be more accessible as well as receptive to employee needs. It'll help with overall morale.

Freshmen and desperate only

Current Employee - Technology in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you have no work experience it'll give you one. They don't care too much about downtime and you can learn on the job as long as you come cheap, this is their business model.

Cons

Cheap. Stingy. Bad benefits. Always trying to low ball you.
    Very crowded, noisy, offensive open office environment, you work essentially in a warehouse.
    Chaotic, add-hoc work "process", people "stepping on each other toes" all the time, there's always something broken due to ill-conceived changes mainly on the network and firewalls.
    There is no real management, you are left on your own devices
    No communication between different levels, you never know where it is going to.
    No wonder the turnover is _very_ high.

You get what you pay for.

Internet Brands Response

Oct 24, 2014CTO

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like we could have been more clear in explaining some of the reasons why we operate the way we do. For one, we believe in growing our own talent and have a large ... More

Use them to gain basic office skills...

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible and laid back schedules. You'll meet some good people.

Cons

No room for growth. Top down management. Poor communication. There are benefits, but not very good. No 401K match. No company culture. No real training.

I have some friends out of work, and I'm not recommending this company. Wouldn't want them to get complacent.

No point to leave advice. It won't be taken.

Good First Job; Bad Career

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Internet Brands Inc. provides a really easy transition from college life into a large corporate office. The experience you get will be very valuable for your resume if you're just starting out.

*The dress is casual, the hours are flexible, and the managers are, for the most part, very nice.

*If you're working directly in one of the verticals, you have the option of embarking on your own projects so long as you can prove that they are valuable to your manager.

*The company also has very little overhead, and has been consistently growing from when it was founded in 1998 through the recession, to the present. Your job will be secure.

*There is a slim to none chance that you'll ever be fired once you're hired on.

*The company regularly tries to have special events and treats for its employees - particularly around the holidays and during the summer.

Cons

* The pay at Internet Brands is extremely low compared to what the industry standard would normally be for a tech company across virtually every position. This is the largest trade-off for the benefits.

* You will have to impress your managers and fight for every raise if you want one, and promotions from within are extremely rare. The company almost always hires from the outside when management positions open up. Career advancement can be challenging at this company

* Because of these first two things, turnover is high. Most employees come in, get a year or two of experience, and then move on to other companies who pay better or offer better career advancement.

* Because pay isn't very competitive, it's hard to find replacements for certain higher level positions. Sometimes recruitment for these positions takes months, and you're forced to make up the work in the meantime.

The company was recently acquired by a private firm, KKR, in June 2014. It is unclear how this could change the culture within the next year or two.

Assuming nothing changes, I would recommend that managers take a vested interest in their employees and provide them with a clear career path within the company.

Certainly it makes sense to start entry-level people off at a low salary, but if they show promise in their position or have better-than-average experience, they should be compensated accordingly for it. Additionally, without clear opportunities for career advancement, you won't fix your turnover problem.

For your tech positions, you need to hire more experienced developers and QA engineers. Pay them the industry standard, and you'll reduce the revolving door that our tech teams keep having to deal with.

Inside Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment with activities and competent colleagues.

Cons

The salary is almost insulting to be kind, 10k less than what salary.com quotes as the low medium for inside sales in this demographic. Training is sufficient however the process is clearly working for those who have built a book of business, not so much for the newbies who must survive for 6 months living off of pennies in the interim.

Pay a decent salary or at least a better initial commission structure as to where a new hire can make some decent bonus money within their first 6 months until they are up and running. Run a few campaigns allowing there to be warm leads to call, not 100% cold calling.

Great company

Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Though I have limited experience having only worked at two companies previously, I can safely say this is the most challenging and rewarding job I've ever had. During the interview process I was informed they had an "entrepreneurial spirit," and though I thought it was fluff, they weren't lying. That said, it's also a fun environment with great co-workers and a fabulous location.

Cons

Though I wouldn't consider it a con necessarily, it is a challenging business and there is a pressure to perform at your highest.

My manager is terrific. Very flexible, understanding, and really gets in the trenches with everyone else.

I look forward to going to work every day!

Current Employee - Tech in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Tech in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people that have enthusiasm for the work that they do. There are interesting long term and short term projects to keep the work challenging. Plenty of opportunities and resources to fully explore new ways of doing things and backing from management to implement them. Nice view of the ocean from one side of the building and LAX from the other.

Cons

The open floor plan works great for collaboration but it can get somewhat distracting and a bit loud at times.

Internet Brands Response

Jul 25, 2014CTO

Thank you for the feedback!

An absolute joke

Former Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not much. It's a stop gap, I guess, if you need a job right away or are just out of college and need to learn how NOT to run a company. I worked with a lead-generating group which is a fancy way of saying an entire business dedicated to selling monetizing your personal information to various industries (automotive, home, travel, etc.)

Cons

In over 20 years of working, I have never seen a more incompetent, dysfunctional group of so-called "managers." These people would not last a month at a real technology company. Talented people leave fast; only the legacy employees (mostly VPs and up) stick around because they are on the honey train. Many came from the L.A. Times, another failed enterprise to give you an idea of the "leadership" involved. I cannot think of a single person from my days there who still works at IB.

Quit and open up something you're actually qualified for, like a lemonade stand.

Expect Nothing and You Won't Be Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easily accessible physical office location

Cons

your hard work is very unlikely to be acknowledged, your yearly review and raise will take 4+ months to be approved, you will be asked to multitask tasks that should be divided among multiple positions/employees, you will not be well paid, you will last 2 years at most

An open forum to bring forth systemic issues, no longer requiring that the CEO sign off on every raise, new hire, and decision

Fun first job...terrible if you are a skilled professional

Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

casual atmosphere
    watching airplanes take off is cool

Cons

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP
    Doesn't pay what you are worth.
    You are lucky if they have enough plastic forks for you to eat with.
    After my annual review of exceeding my budget there was no 3% pay raise as a Senior Account Executive just told "Good Job" and given a $5 gift card.
    No room for advancement and growth within your field.
    It's a stop gap company to work for either you are just out of college and this is your first job or it's a place you are at until something better comes along.
    Internet Brands was just bought by KKR a 50 billion dollar company.
    So what does that mean to you? Nothing...unless you are at the top your pockets got fatter but if you are one of the worker bees, like me, you will see no honey.
    They got me because of the Great Recession as the economy picks up they will have me no more.

Can we get some management?
    Expect to get yelled at.
    Expect to get told to put together proposals with no clear direction and then yelled at that they are not the way your manager secretly wants them to be in their head.
    Expect your manager to tell you something one way and then a month later say "I never said that."
    Expect your budget to be based on what your manager feels you should be able to bring in and not what trends year over year or the economy.
    Advice to management: Think before you speak. Don't try to undermine your employees. Don't throw your employees under the bus on live sales calls. I could go on and on, but hey, it's IB management and nobody will listen...