Internet Brands Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Run away, do NOT apply here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McKinney, TX

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-No dress code -Freeway-centric location -Lots of on-the-job training -Semi-flexible scheduling and some legit work-from-home opportunities

Cons

-No raises. EVER. I worked there nearly 7 years and never got a raise; eventually my dept supervisors just stopped doing yearly performance reviews because they knew no one would ever approve raises, even though our department's earnings were through the roof. -You will get pigeonholed into doing 1 or 2 things for your entire tenure. No opportunity for raises or promotions. They will also make you feel like you are horrible at your job, as much as possible, in the hopes that you'll shrink into your desk chair and just become a wage slave for them for all time. -They truly do not care about their people. Low raises + no opportunity for growth + mean upper management = insanely high turnover. HR would occasionally hand out popsicles or hot dogs as a "we appreciate you" gesture - gee. A 25 cent hot dog. I feel so loved. -A very reactive, not proactive, approach to management - whenever Google would come out with new search analytics/metrics, management would have us all scrambling to keep up, despite the changes being announced months prior, and of course we'd lose money. They also refused to come up with mobile apps for our sites (which is easy to do these days), putting us so far behind our competitors it was laughable. -I finally quit after I was offered what amounted to a demotion and pay cut, and informed that if I took that job, they'd fire someone else to "give" me the "privilege" of a spot. NO. No no no. I couldn't do that. So, for the first time ever, I quit with no safety net.

Advice to Management

-Start being proactive, not reactive, to changes in technology and markets. Develop apps. -Start giving raises again. You've lost a lot of really, REALLY good, experienced people in favor of paying tiny salaries to total greenhorns who don't know what they're doing.

2. Great company to work for with amazing growth opportunities!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth Great work environment Compensation Training & Development

Cons

I don't have any cons to share at this time.

Sales

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good. Dress code is awesome. Location easy from freeway

Cons

Low pay. No longer the feel of a start up... very corporate HR is not always responsive to new job applicants

Advice to Management

Provide more company wide communication about the business overall. Helpful

Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Internet Brands

Pros

the people who work there

Cons

low pay and the management

Advice to Management

proactive is better than reactive

Nice place to work at

I have been working at Internet Brands

Pros

Nice place to work at

Cons

None its a nice place to work at

7. Good company for a beginner

Former Employee - Product Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Internet Brands

Pros

If you are proactive, you will learn a lot in this company Management is smart about business Low stress and a lot of freedom

Cons

Salaries are way under market Benefits are very poor in comparison with similar companies

Great people at the worker level, executive is very insular in sharing their views

I have been working at Internet Brands

Pros

My commute has been a breeze, I'm always able to get the time off I need. Ping pong table, and the view of the ocean from my side of the building is amazing. Many employees move between roles, with constant acquisitions there are always new opportunities.

Cons

Pay is definitely low. There is also a disconnect between the executives way of viewing the world (ie how they got to where they are) vs. what the path (and salary expectations) actually are.

Advice to Management

Accept that requiring a certain minimum tenure will cause you to miss out on great candidates. Low pay and no bonus structure is going to hurt employee retention.

9. You will be doing more than one person's job

I have been working at Internet Brands full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great learning opportunities in a fast tech based environment; working hard pays off with senior management; key team players are recognized and rewarded

Cons

due to turn over and high growth, you are constantly doing more than one job; if you do a great job at someone else's job you basically always have your original job and the unhired position. Even if they do hire the position, the company grows quickly with acquisitions that you never catch up; items remain on to do lists for long extended periods and eventually fall through the cracks as new growth takes priority

Advice to Management

match the 401(k), increase base salary with local standards to avoid losing key talent, give offices to key personnel to do their job more effectively without distractions

10. There are Better Places to Grow

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Internet Brands

Pros

well standardized procedures, nice people depending on your department

Cons

seem to undervalue devs and tech - high turnover, low salaries

a bad place to work

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Internet Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management seems to be totally disconnected and disinterested so you can likely coast for years here without concern

Cons

Just about the least human work experience I've ever had. I've received error messages with more heart than these people. Management here seems bent on keeping everything secret. The company has no interest in innovation and no interest in rewarding high performers. I've worked for some giant emotionless machines before but this juggernaut of sadness puts them all to shame. If this company just bought your company, run. Don't look back.

Advice to Management

Stay right where you are and keep doing what you're doing. Then those of us who have hopes and dreams and interests will be able to avoid you.

RSS Feed </> Embed