Internet Matrix
www.imatrix.com San Diego, CA 50 to 149 Employees

Internet Matrix Reviews

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Asaf Benhaim

Not an easy job - but I love it.

Manager (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsPotential income is pretty good. New sales people can make 80k+ in their first year. Pretty good company culture (lots of events, laser tag, horse races, catered lunches, paint ball). Good group of people that make working here great. Company Gym, ping pong, Foosball, sweet vending setup. Company recently reorganized the sales group to create new management positions - lots of opportunity for growth.

ConsHours are 7-4 (I would really prefer for 6-3). Stressful (if you cant handle stress, look elsewhere)

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like to see a better 401k program.

2 main company divisions; won't not recommend unless you're in sales

Professional Services (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThe bulk of the workers here are very young, which contributes to fun company culture. This, of course, has negatives as well (lack of experience/professionalism). Decent upward mobility. Competitive salary for people with no experience.

ConsThe company is essentially divided in two: sales and "client experience". Sales people, well, sell the services while the other side supports them. Overall, the sales side of things gets way more resources, money, support, and recognition. The client experience side suffers from extreme under staffing, far too many clients to support, and low pay for the experience level, contributing to a pretty toxic morale. Not a day goes by that someone isn't complaining about something in the company.

Also, the company was acquired by Internet Brands in December 2013, which promply destroyed the shortly lived employer match 401k.

Middle management is almost completely pointless. No one even knows what they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your talented employees more, don't stretch them too thin, and get out of the "small start up" mindset; iMatrix is no longer small and investment needs to be made in order to take the company to the next level.

Hard work pays off

Internet Consultant- Sales (Current Employee)

ProsI am new to sales so it took a few months for things to "click". My manager and my team helped me every step of the way and didn't give up on me. I just had my second great sales month in a row and it feels great. I will make over 50k this even with a slow start and everyone here seems to make more the longer they are here.

ConsIt is hard work. If you lack self discipline or don't like a lot of sports analogies you might not like it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place to Learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to learn a job. Great co-workers and people to work with. You can wear a lot of hats (mainly because people leave so often you have to pick up the work they vacate).

ConsManagement has a very Top Down Management style. Do as I say not as I do. Managers should lead by example. Not a lot of career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecause you do not pay well for top talent and benefits are terrible, this is a training ground for other companies. People will stay until they have the experience to seek something better elsewhere. Pay people what they are worth and they will be more loyal. The revolving door is costing you.

A daily grind

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

Proscould make money, but only after you endure 6 months of grueling prospecting phone calls day after day.

Cons-high turnover
    -low pay
    -mentally draining
    -must hit quota or fear for your job
    -extremely high stress

Internet Matrix HR Manager responded to this review Feb 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to leave detailed feedback about your employment experience at iMatrix. Our management team appreciates personal feedback about the hiring and training process and we ... More

Matt Veltmann. I am 24 years old and I make right around $100k/year. Been here 1.5 years

Internet Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsTop 10 fastest growing industries in America (Internet Marketing)
    Certified, Preferred partners with Google (2013)
    Growth of company from $8.7 mil --> $15 mil in 1.5 years (172% growth rate)
    Great Management who cares about Individual Personal Development
    Help your clients create the website of their dream!
    Pay Scale + Compensation
    Fast Opportunity of Growth within Company
    Option to Travel, when good enough

ConsCold Calling
    A lot to learn to "hit the ground running" - Do you have "IT?"
    No Residuals
    This is not your average job- I'll be very honest with you. You have to have a strong ambition, be self-motivated, handle stress well, learn intuitively, and work your ass off
    The #1 reason people leave is because they say its too stressful- But, in my time here, I have only seen 1 individual come in both early and stay late everyday only to end up leaving. The rest of the others who have either gotten fired or resigned their positions do not want it bad enough. They just want a regular job and think they can get by.
    This is job is for the Strong. This is for the Motivated. This is for those who can withstand Fire so well that they become Steel

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. They look out for your best interests, intelligent, cutting-edge and help you grow into the person you want to be

Internet Matrix HR Manager responded to this review Feb 20, 2014 EditDelete
    We appreciate your candid feedback about working in Sales and our overall goals and strategies. Thank you for taking the time to review iMatrix.

Thankful for the opportunity

Internet Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsI gained a ton of great experience. I am entering my third year as a sales professional and have held a couple different positions with different companies. The experience I gained here would not have catapulted me to my next position. My manager gave me the tools to be successful, and there is opportunity, but I was able to find it faster outside the company and in an industry more in line with my degree. There are quite a few people making great money , and they seem to promote from within. Company is growing and they are creating more management positions all the time. Unfortunately I am not interested in being a sales manager. Thank you for the opportunity to learn more about internet marketing and the sales process.

ConsThis is hard! If you are not ready to work hard do not apply here. You will be challenged regularly. If you are not willing to cold call, you will not like this. If you are willing to learn how to do so they will teach you, but it's not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore one on one check ins. I have seen some of my peers leave because of unnecessary anxiety. There were times that if I hadn't reached out to my manager I would have considered leaving sooner because there is a lot of pressure. Be proactive and talk to your people more often and more people will see how good your intentions are.

Internet Matrix HR Manager responded to this review Feb 20, 2014 EditDelete
    We highly value the feedback of past employees and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at iMatrix. Our Sales environment is highly competitive and high energy. We are thrilled that ... More

Not a great experience.

Internet Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsThere isn't one positive I can say about this horrible company. I guess the fact that there were decent restaurants to eat lunch at near the office and it was close to the highway. My direct manager did a pretty decent job at working for us to reach our goals.

ConsFrom day one there is a constant sense that you could be fired at any time for almost anything. The so called "leads" are just paid list meaning that nobody that you're contacting has expressed any interest. Typically as an Internet Consultant your job consist of making around 200 "ICE COLD" calls a day. Managers are constantly pushing you to just continue dialing into doctors offices and expect you to spend almost no time prospecting accounts. Every morning there's a blitz in which you are required to make at least 30 calls in that hour and then you're completely called out when an email goes around that shows the amount of calls every sales person made as well as your talk time. If you don't hit your quota just one month it's almost a guarantee that you'll be fired and even if you aren't you must hit the full quota to even get one cent of the commission. The on-boarding process at this company is lacking big time, by the second day on the job they have you cold-calling for more than half of the day when you have almost no product knowledge. Every new sales employee must go through something called the "5 call showdown" in which they are forced to make five cold calls on speaker in front of the entire sales organization and critiqued on what they did wrong. I found another job at a much better company and am finally starting to remember what it's like to be happy at work again.

Advice to Senior ManagementA complete overhaul would be my recommendation, a lot of things need to be improved.

Internet Matrix HR Manager responded to this review Feb 20, 2014 EditDelete

Highly competitive, churn and burn.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsYoung culture, average age 25-28 (sales) a little higher outside of sales. Once a month company events, nice offices. They sell a great product.

ConsHighly competitive sales environment. Make your quota or get fired. They say you are salaried at 24k, but they actually pay you hourly. Training is minimal, it's trial by fire, so it is a very high stress place. Churn and burn: they do continuous interviewing because they are constantly firing sales people who don't hit quota at the end of the month. My first month there they fired 12 people, not only from the sales department, for various reasons which was about 10% of the company. High turn over, no dedication to employees. The management and owner are there to win, with or without you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees better and you will reduce turn over.

Internet Matrix HR Manager responded to this review Feb 20, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your candid, honest feedback about your experience at iMatrix. As you know, two of our core values are integrity and innovation, and, as such, we highly value honest feedback from our ... More

Could be worse

Internet Consultant (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsLoud music, fun people, relaxed atmosphere

Conspay, commission structure doesn't leave you with much after closing deals and after the 1st its back to square 1

Worked for Internet Matrix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Internet Matrix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Internet Matrix CEO Asaf Benhaim. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Internet Matrix employees.