Interpublic Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth

Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Location (midtown NYC), work-life balance (in most functions), employee diversity resource groups(in 5 reviews)

• Great managers as well as great work environment(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Increased transparency from senior management and less politics when you deal with corporate in NY(in 4 reviews)

• Less direct compensation than similar jobs in the Omaha area (Both as an intern and as a entry-level full time employee(in 3 reviews)

Great company.

Senior Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOutstanding company to work for. plenty of opportunities for growth.

ConsNo cons but Can be difficult to navigate for a novice since its made up of multiple agencies.

Long satisfying career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very energized company with terrific senior leadership. A lot of potential for career advancement and personal growth. A regionally diverse company with people from many cultures.

ConsVery much subject to changes in the economy which affects client spending. This of course affects annual budgets. Sometimes, hours can be long.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving and growing.

IPG's Corporate IT Group Competent

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFavors strong project management and process improvement. IT executives/leaders are unusually good. Mid-level managers are hit or miss. Strong benefits and PTO. Challenging environment because of complex, global structure of 100+ partially or wholely owned companies to service. Great place to build your resume if you're motivated and ask for stretch projects. They do not fire employees easily. Overall, a good place to work...but see cons below.

ConsEmployee training determined by local managers (there is no real centralized HR training program). Omaha office is notably more fun than NY. You need to know how to develop yourself professionally. If you're a mediocre performer, you'll languish.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize professional development and people skill development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.... pay stinks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsNice people, great hours, good benefits, casual dress, education assistance

ConsPay is horrible and unfortunately that's the name of the game in this day and age. You have to have a livable wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees and I don't mean with a coffee mug.

just one messed up place to work

Senior Biztalk Server Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prospay was kinda fair though it was less than few other companies in the area
    work location is good for commuting

Consworst management
    dont anything about project management
    lack of respect for hard working people
    incompetent fulltime staff , most work is pushed onto consultants
    lack of QA team

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to respect your best guys

Stimulating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsInnovative thinking and strong leadership

ConsHealth benefits could be better

Not bad, but not inspiring

Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

ConsThere are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

Good holding company to work for

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

ConsThis is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

Pretty good place to work

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Particularly for an NYC company
    Summer Fridays and 18-25 vacation days = alot of time off
    Reasonable ability to advance within the company

ConsBelow market salaries
    Politics can be a little much
    Company parties have really gone downhill since the stock market crash

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing fine, they don't need my advice. I think that the pay structure tends to be a little top heavy but I that seems to be true around NY so what are you going to do.

limiting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL

Prosas a whole, IPGs offerings through its new specialty agencies are highly strategic enabling new opportunities for strategic growth and development. the challenge has been at the management level in making these offerings tangible and accessible.

Conslack of growth and development
    inconsistent direction and competing vision
    general lack of creativity
    management pigeon holds great ideas as they feel threaten

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!