Interpublic Group

Updated September 14, 2014
3.6

Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth
Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Location (midtown NYC), work-life balance (in most functions), employee diversity resource groups (in 5 reviews)

• Great managers as well as great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Increased transparency from senior management and less politics when you deal with corporate in NY (in 4 reviews)

• Less direct compensation than similar jobs in the Omaha area (Both as an intern and as a entry-level full time employee (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not bad, but not inspiring

Current Employee - Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Fair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

Cons

There are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Let in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

Good holding company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Benefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

Cons

This is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Provide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Good work/life balance. Particularly for an NYC company
    Summer Fridays and 18-25 vacation days = alot of time off
    Reasonable ability to advance within the company

Cons

Below market salaries
    Politics can be a little much
    Company parties have really gone downhill since the stock market crash

Management is doing fine, they don't need my advice. I think that the pay structure tends to be a little top heavy but I that seems to be true around NY so what are you going to do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

limiting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

as a whole, IPGs offerings through its new specialty agencies are highly strategic enabling new opportunities for strategic growth and development. the challenge has been at the management level in making these offerings tangible and accessible.

Cons

lack of growth and development
    inconsistent direction and competing vision
    general lack of creativity
    management pigeon holds great ideas as they feel threaten

Absolutely no communication, leadership, or training

Former Employee - Invoice Controller  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Invoice Controller in Omaha, NE

I worked at Interpublic Group

Pros

Benefits were okay, and the casual dress was a nice change from most jobs. The hours were okay. Honestly, however, I'm racking my brain to think of these pros.

Cons

A complete lack of cohesive training. There were three people training me during the first week and I was told different things by all three. There was no positive feedback, or any feedback for that matter. I was hired because of anticipated heavy work increase, but that never materialized and then without warning, after 21 days of employment, was let go because I was "not progressing fast enough". How can a person learn a job when the work doesn't exist and they are kept busy by pulling staples for three days? After I was let go, I didn't receive my check for 20 days afterwards, and the check I received was incorrect. I would not recommend IPG to anyone.

I don't even know where to start. This company needs a complete overhaul and communication, leadership, and training needs vast improvement.

Manage DBA's

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Work Life balance Salary Culture

Cons

Not all management is on same page

Provide consistent view

Good exposure to various aspects.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

They provide excellent opportunity to explore and put forth new ideas.

Cons

They do not sponsor Visa.

Need to provide an opportunity to talented international students.

Great benefits and vacation, but not a long term place to call home.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Interpublic Group

Pros

Vacation
    Pay
    Benefits

Great place for taking time away from the actual work, but not a place that you can feel that you will have a long term career.

Cons

Too much turmoil both at the company and especially at the holding group. Wish that there had been more stability.

Still analog

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

The companies in the umbrella provide a generally moderate pace of work.

Cons

No advancement in digital groups.
    Analog creatives rule the roost.
    Experienced employees are not valued.
    Forward Movement is more important than management skill.
    Technical support is abysmal.
    Bean counting controls everything.
    No conferences, education, or supplementary tools.
    Not enough staff, for most groups. An exit-culture.

if you are ever going to be truly competent in digital, then you have to change from a job-to-job management approach to building a lasting team and then using it as a powerhouse to generate new business.

IPG is a caste system

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Interpublic Group

Pros

Free coffee and great views... some colleagues are nice, but they leave all the time. It's hard to make a nd keep friends.

Cons

Management is promoted based on friendships with higher-ups. Competence and good management skills are not considered for promotions. HR is the least "human" function.

Be prepared to justify your $300,000+ incomes to the rest of the staff who make less than one-quarter what you make, yet do all the heavy lifting.

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!