Intersil

Updated May 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Necip Sayiner

Pros
  • Healthy & stable work environment, good people, small company with good benefits(in 6 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, management helped employees perform better, very smart people to work with, good benefits(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The stock price has not been increasing at a similar rate to competitors(in 7 reviews)

• I don't think the new CEO would save this company(in 4 reviews)

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGreat place to work and Good Work ethics

ConsI don't see any concerns as of now.

Great mentors with much knowledge

Test Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsThe mentor assigned to me was one of the best Test engineers in the company and is now a Product and Test Engineering manager. Learned the ins and outs of what is required to become a great Test engineer and learned great work ethic.

ConsDuring my internship, the leadership was going through a transition with a new CEO so many things were being moved around and frantic but that was just the situation and not something that is going to last.

New CEO is turning the company around

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsHealthy & stable work environment, good people, small company with good benefits

ConsStagnant product lines, over dependence on PC market

Advice to Senior ManagementHiring more design talent in key product lines

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice but somewhat Disorganized...not particularly innovative or a leader..

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

Proslots of nice people in the place..pretty small in Milpitas..2 bldgs..you can get to know everyone..upper management is accesible...minimum of conflict...

ConsIt's disorganized...too many people at meetings..some really bad decision making processes...much of appears to be seat of the pants..innovation is low..lots of empty cubicles...

Advice to Senior Managementtry not to have any more layoffs for awhile..morale is not that great

4 Years at Intersil

Staff Product Engineer (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsGood Compnay for learning and opportunities

ConsLot of uncertainty and not sure about future

Too many changes with no clear direction to turn the company around

Design Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

Prosnice facility, friendly coworker, competitive salary and benefit

Constoo much politics, wasted money on the acquisitions, many layoffs, too many good people left

Advice to Senior Managementexcept for power management and general purpose products everything must go

New direction but can they compete in PMICs with generic turn-around template?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

Pros- new management is very clear on their new strategy, all employees know the plan
    - most top execs seem to be solid
    - recent quarter results good
    - 401k

Cons- cut back too far in sales, mktg and apps, manufacturing.
    - many good, effective people gone or RIF'd.
    - PMIC market loaded with heavy weights. How will they design right device, deliver on time in a very competitive area? It hasn't been that case the last 6-7 years.
    - putting all emphasis on hiring designers for PMICs.
    - CEO communication style is based on plan clarity but is definitely not a motivational-based leader.
    - still has some execs from old Harris days that need to be replaced with newer, fresher idea managers

Advice to Senior Management- focus more on sales support, you've cut back too far.
    - "design it and they will come" strategy will not work, need more than a bunch of smart engineers to be successful.
    - you're in Silicon Valley, quit acting like an old, stoggy IC company from the 90's and make working at Intersil competitive with other leading companies

Intersil has squandered so much money buying expensive little companies that they could go under.

Senior Field Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsIntersil has great analog technology and they're by far the best at making rad hard products.

ConsIntersil has spent BILLIONS of dollars buying companies with little or no revenue. After a while they get frustrated with the acquisition and shut it down. Now, after 7 big layoffs, there's no one left to do any actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the business you already have that makes money. Make the rad hard products your customers are begging for and exit the computing business.

A mid tier semiconductor company heading in too many directions

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsKnowledgable and truly intelligent coworkers

ConsManagement steering in a downward spiral

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a good idea to change the leadership, continue making shrewd decisions

The good people is leaving the dummies are staying. Recent stock bump is temporary (look at SLAB history).

Manager (Current Employee) Milpitas, CA

ProsA few good/smart people left in the company
    Average benefits
    There is a chance that the company will be sold off. This is good for those of us who have significant unvested equity.

ConsNew CEO (Necip Sayiner) has started a turnaround the wrong way by laying off the best people and keeping many incompetents. Several high profitability projects are risking significant delay and/or cancellation.
    New CEO keeps mentioning his past success in turnarounds, but if you dig a bit deeper those have been mainly failures.
    Don't trust what your manager says, because he probably is just guessing like everyone else.

In Milpitas several design and test teams are very weak. The good teams are in NJ and the UK but I expect many people there to head for the doors.

The company is focusing in PMICs (as is every other competitor who has significant more resources and are much better managed).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop believing what your design directors are telling you
    Stop following from way behind
    READ A TURNAROUNDS BOOK! You have made every mistake so far

Worked for Intersil? Contribute to the Community!