Interstate Batteries Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
61 reviews filtered by
3.6
Scott Miller

Pros
  • Good benefits like 401k but I wasnt there long enough to use it (in 7 reviews)

• Great people to work with in all the branches i visited (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours which results in time away from my family and less time to reccuperate (in 3 reviews)

• The work can be physically demanding, and also mentally draining (in 3 reviews)

1. They are a very good company that takes care of Employees by offer good benefits and other ways of support.

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company goes out if its ways to make sure everyone is taking care of. The do this through a program called the Family Care fund.

Cons

As with most larger companies it is sometime difficult to get noticed for the work you do, especially if all your contacts and work is for outside people.

Keep doing what you doing to ensure all benefits and programs are equitable for all team members even though they work for different parts of the company.

2. Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Interstate Batteries part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very fun place to work that will challenge you everyday. Relaxed feel while also allowing you to thrive and accomplish tasks at hand.

Cons

some of the challenges that you face can seem daunting. Also some of the customers may not have the best attitude.

keep the office culture

3. Great company culture

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company based on Higher Purpose and great Values, and they actually try their best to walk the walk

Cons

Would have said lack of career advancement opportunities, but that seems to be changing. More and more people are getting some pretty cool opportunities.

Company with great potential but poor strategic direction if they are looking to grow revenue

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This was a great company to work for however it depends what group you are in. The culture is great and work/life balance is a top priority. Great company events showing how leadership cares about their employees. Benefits are decent and on par with most companies in the industry.

Cons

Interstate is a leader in battery distribution but it is technology strapped and CIO provides no advanced technology leadership nor does the CEO seem to understand how new technology could benefit business growth. The company has invested in advanced tools for their distributor network however they fail to extend that innovation to the dealer and consumer layers. The business is crippled by maintaining a 50 year old distribution business model that is slowly going away and being replaced by more modern online business models. If you join this company at the corporate level, don't expect any transformational changes any time soon. After having left the company 1 year ago and in retrospect, this looks like a company that is happy with status quo and humming along almost as a non-profit, meaning as long as they make a profit, they are good with their business model. I recently recommended this employer to a friend and the hiring manager and HR completely fumbled on the interview process. After several interviews, there was no followup so my friend moved on.

Take calculated risks and innovate to reach your consumers. Get a better understanding of how the younger generation of consumers prefers to interact with business that sells a commodity product. Develop a organic growth business model by reaching potential buyers via social media and your All Battery stores. Get your batteries in more places where more people will pick one up. When I'm looking for a car battery, it seems difficult to find a Interstate battery near me. Why not have a mobile app for "Interstate Batteries Near Me".

6. Interning at Interstate Batteries was one of my favorite job experiences I have ever had.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern

I worked at Interstate Batteries

Pros

The companies culture was probably my favorite part because it was faith based. They really focused on making sure you learned the core values of the company and why they are important. I loved coming in to work everyday the people are all so friendly and helpful. The internship program was very structured and always had something planed for that day. I learned about from this company that I can use for my next job.

Cons

One of the main cons of the company is that they do not like to hire resent college graduates. They like to hire older or more experienced candidates. Other than that its a great company.

7. Not what them seem to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They come off as a good christian company
    Good benefits
    Decent pay
    Chaplin on staff
    mission trips

Cons

Management instability and lack of leadership
    Nepotism
    They made developers managers who have no experience or business in that roll
    Company is just barely profitable
    Many people leaving the company either by choice or force
    Many manager positions are left vacant without plans to fill
    Poor security standards that are not followed.
    A lot of winy complaining people

They drill these values into your head and force them down your throat but they only seem to apply when it is convenient. Very poor focus and leadership especially in IT. Company was much better under former CEO. Company makes poor decisions on spending money for conventions and promotions and not enough on getting their internal systems designed and working right. All Battery Dept is a nightmare to deal with who take the cheapest and shortest solution instead designing an efficient one. Company needs a lot of external management brought in to fill vacant positions.

8. Amazing company

I worked at Interstate Batteries (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, family culture, and team

Cons

Pay is lower than average, not much room for advancement

9. Fantastic products an employee can feel good standing behind.

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time

Pros

Great marketing department creates eye catching graphics for inside & outside of the stores. Loyal customers and many return customers with great stories about the number of years their car batteries have lasted.

Cons

The work is challenging. The product knowledge is extensive & can take sometime to absorb. Physically demanding work that takes place in the heat or cold - depending on the location.

10. Interstate pros and cons

Current Employee - Route Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Route Sales Manager

I have been working at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Interstate rewards performers.The pay is great if you are motivated and have drive. It is very easy to get promoted if you are successful. The opportunity here it's great. Most senior level management started as a warehouse worker, or route driver.

Cons

Performance is constantly pushed. So much that there is constant pressure to do more and more. When your doing something good you get patted on the back for a short time, then your expected to do even better. This cycle never ends.It doesn't matter how good you are...You can do better.

Adhere to the Christian principles the company was founded on.

11. Steady hard work

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Interstate Batteries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sales commission is favorable if you work hard you can earn plenty. Brand name recognition helps too as many car dealers, auto shops etc. use their batteries or are familiar

Cons

The work can be physically demanding, and also mentally draining. Sometimes batteries fail either because of a factory problem, or user error and you have to deal with upset customers when the problem is largely out of your hands

Benefits and vacation time are poor compared to other companies. Though the pay is good, the poor benefits detract from working here

Interstate Batteries Photos