Interstate Hotels

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
2.9

Jim Abrahamson

Pros
  • There is room for advancement in the comapny if you are willing to do the work (in 3 reviews)

• Great understanding of work life balance, good benefits also a gives good 401k match (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The attendance policy has very strict consequences (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Courtyard JFK

Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Guest Services Agent in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Counting on the guests to make your day better

Cons

The management team are Amateurs however think they know it all . The employes has been there since they opened the property so new hired aren't welcome . Be prepare to work on call if not management will make your life a living hell . Under staff for every shift so be mindful to be over worked and drained . Overtime for one day however you would be ask to leave early another day. The management team can care less about your well being or your personal life . From the moment I sign my paper I just knew it was a dark place .

This place will continue to have a high turn over rate if it continue to be manage in that way . I was working there for a month and I seen two people quit with out a back up job due to lack of management . Employees aren't happy to work there and not only do they say it they show it .

Not Worth It !!

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time

Pros

Full time benefits, 401k no matter what position of hotel you are in

Cons

Travel discounts have to be applied for in HR and are very rarely (if ever) given. Management does not care about lower employees. Hard work goes unrecognized & soon becomes expected. Bad behavior goes unpunished and therefore continues. At night there is no management to see the horrible behavior of some employees.

Open your eyes !!

This company does not care about its employees whatsoever.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only valid reason work for this company is desperation. If you need a job here to survive take it, but get out as soon as you can.

Cons

Employer makes no effort to show to value employees' opinions. When employees that have different views or experiences offer to help to make a change they are immediately and without question shot down.

If you only offer the worst to your associates all you will be left with are the worst associates.

Not just repulsive....BREATHTAKINGLY REPULSIVE!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Captiva, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Captiva, FL

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will get a paycheck for the work that you do. But it is not enough to make up for the way you are treated.

Cons

The management is quite possible the worst I have seen anywhere. I am not quite sure how these people ever advanced to their current positions.

Actually caring about someone other than yourselves might go a long way.

Unethical leadership

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time

Pros

Discounts on hotel stays, job opportunities, drunken management outings, associate recognition, steady paycheck, cheap lunch, free sodas

Cons

Funny math/reports to ownership, hours required to work, managers have to clock in and out, honesty is not the policy, no one is held accountable, "boys club"/frat boy mentality.

Keep a closer eye on your Area GMs and DOSs in the South.

you can do so much better than interstate

Former Employee - Chief Maintenance Engineer in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Chief Maintenance Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (less than an year)

Pros

one man named larry seemed to work hard and understand how to communicate with employees

Cons

employee relations were horrible,treated employees as "the little people" who knew "nothing"
    i was employed at the hotel for 13 years with a wonderful co called "first call hospitality"out of Fargo ND we kept the hotel at a # 1-2 ranking, then the hotel was sold and interstate road in and claimed "there's a new sheriff in town".......they lost the whole house keeping staff,the manager of 15 years,the breakfast person of 12 years,the chief maintenance engineer of 13 years and at least 3 front desk people because of their attitude towards their employee's.....folks ,the bottom line on this co is $$$$,.. employees mean nothing,my advice is to pass on this bunch,there are far better people to work for,who will treat you as a partner in business..and reward you for great service and all of your hard work!

fire top tier of operations department,they seem like a bunch of "post turtles"

Bad. Did not support Mgnt. in operation of hotel

Former Employee - Management in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management in Washington, DC

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits (cost to staff) and software. Nothing else good to report.

Cons

Huge Mgnt Structure. Slow to react to market place and problems. Too many reports and paperwork to do on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. Does not support hotel Mgnt staff.

Know what is going on at the hotel level. React to what you are being told. Listen.

Leaves alot to be desired

Former Employee - Reservations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Reservations in New York, NY

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You do not need skills of any kind to work here

Cons

Hard working dedicated workers do not get recognized

Upper management should become more involved with the day to day operations of the hotels it manages, especially the Roosevelt Hotel. There is a mass exodus of very talented and dedicated associates due to lack of effective management. There needs to be an overhaul of middle

....

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Kind guests, non smoking, and the staff. The staff is truly wonderful they really care about the future of this property and are fully invested in making the day to day business operations run smoothly.

Cons

Management. no structure, no discipline, no recognition, no feedback, nothing.

The worst job experience ever

Former Employee - Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Interstate Hotels full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My fellow employees who worked as a cohesive team.

Cons

Disturbing discrimination, negligent human resource, age biased general manager, no respect shown, moral depletion, over the top expectations of job duties, ignored when trying to address the problems, total lack of respect.

This is without a doubt the worst job experience I have ever had. Interstate really missed the mark on the new general manager they picked. It is a severe infraction to discuss an employees pay and offer them a raise in front of other employees which 5 of us were witness to. Four of us called the hotline and I went to human resource about it. He received a slap on the wrist for it and HR was very ineffective. The girl that got the raised was so embarrassed that she quit even with a raise. The working conditions and expectations were horrendous. I was hired as a dining room supervisor. I became a food runner, expeditor, dishwasher, all paid positions and received nothing for it. In other words, I held 4 jobs with zero appreciation let alone pay. Everything I did was done to support my team because there was no one else to do it. We worked with the micro system not working, line cooks not able to see orders due to printers not working, pulling room service servers to cook their own food and deliver it, dishwashers leaving so the cooks had no way to prep for their dinner evening and the list goes on and on. It is an endless list of non support. The new gm is definitely age biased. He clearly doesn't like people out of the range of maybe 30. And that may be too old for him. He has been heard to announce that he only wants the youth to work there. That leaves all of us with any kind of experience out and I have 25 years worth. I gave 100% to the Sheraton. Lived through the bankruptcy and was very excited for the wonderful changes with Interstate taking over. That was not to be. Instead, it was a blood bath. Interstate prides itself on promoting from within but none of us were even looked at even though I turned in my resume for review for the many positions I could have easily been qualified for. I have been a Manager for the Diamond Club for 7 years and American Airlines Platnium Club plus a General Manager and Food& Beverage director so this is not my first rodeo. Being a supervisor was my choice. I was relegated to running with an inept general manager who is demeaning at best and has no people skills unless you are young. Interstate should have hung around with this switch over to see for themselves what they had picked to take over the helm. There were many casualties of dedicated employees who were either forced to leave or fired. Yes, I quit. The GM hired a 20 year old with not even close to the same experience as I as the outlet manager. Yes, I was told how to carry trays, talk to customers, etc...even after I had explained my vast experience in hospitality. I've even been a restaurant owner. I wasn't even considered for a promotion. This new hire thought our dining room was fine dining because we have rolled silverware which I explained to her since my background IS fine dining that she was uninformed. I have never had a job in hospitality where I wasn't promoted to management within months of being there. You don't let talent walk out the door. After the last brutal night I worked there, it became obvious that no matter how hard I worked or informed HR, nothing was going to change. The last night, I had to work with a 100% full hotel, one server, one bartender and we got slammed in the dining room. The server had a panic attack in the kitchen in the middle of her shift and the bartender had to help in the dining room as she wasn't capable. I ran food, helped room service, washed dishes and expedited. Oh yes, I even had to make some salads. And lets not forget, the micro system wasn't working correctly so I had to constantly run to the bar to make sure of the orders that had come in. I talked the server out of quitting in the middle of her shift but that was it for her. She never came back. If Interstate really wants to know everything, because there is much more I would be happy to let them know all of the troublesome activities that go on there. It is a mess. An unsupported mess.

Interstate Hotels Photos