Intertek Reviews

Reset
2.8
André Lacroix
1 Rating

Pros
  • 20 days off a year, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Good company to make relations with employers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• They intend to make your firing hidden in their high turnover (in 5 reviews)

Technician

I have been working at Intertek full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I will be as lengthy as I can to prepare anyone who wants to work with such a large international company. I have been given extra responsibility and have been paid pretty well. I think the strongest benefit that they have is 160 Hours of vacation to start with the company. They do offer tuition reimbursement programs for full-time or salaried employees but you have to stay at the company for 4 years to not have to pay anything. They have 10 Holidays throughout the year and the fluctuate sometimes. They include New Years day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, 2 Days for Thanksgiving, 2 Days for Christmas. The other two fluctuate throughout the year (AKA floating) and this year it was the day after New Years (It was on a Friday) and New Year's Eve.(on a Thursday). The work can significantly vary and no two days will ever be the same. I feel like upward mobility is extremely feasible. I get to travel occasionally which can be a plus because they also offer per-diem for out of town visits (45 dollars per day) and pay for your hotel and flight. Overtime is also just as easy to get if we have work you can always be given overtime.

Cons

My con and others cons can be different based on where you are in the company. I have a lower totem pole job so I don't have much to worry about involving sales etc. I just need to make sure the work is done in a timely manner and that the client is always happy. The con for me is the lab gets quite hot during the summer (over 90 degrees sometimes). I also get stressed out when there is so much work that the lab is stretched thin. It really drains you somedays. On the benefits side the 401k/Roth401k match is a joke for such a large company. They match up to 6% and of the 6% they match only half of what you contribute. I got dollar for dollar match up to 6% at my last job. It takes 4 years to become 100% vested which is kind of a long time. The options within the 401k/Rot 401k are also not that great most are Bonds (lower generators of income with a terrible rate of return). I think the medical is kind of expensive. dental and visual are a waste of time at this company also if you have any pre existing conditions. Obama care may have made it so you are approved but it didn't regulate the price you pay. Intertek "perks" are nothing more than a colorful garden variety travelocity and Orbits or Restaurant.com and Groupon for other things. I can't remark on the other benefits such as legal advice, counseling and Adoption Assistance programs. It is also such a large company that the upper management loses touch with what is going on in different areas of the company. But that also makes upward mobility possible so I guess that is a Catch-22. The 2% raise was a slap in the face. I think 4% would more closely show gratitude but beggars cannot be choosers.

Advice to Management

Overall I feel like Intertek is a good company. I am okay with working here (good days and bad days exist everywhere) and they pay me pretty well. I think the 2% raise we receive for hard work and a good evaluation was sort of a joke. It can force a good employee to leave the company.

Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Cortland, NY
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Cortland, NY

I worked at Intertek (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with the Best Boss Anyone could have. Great Benefits, Great experience and Training.

Cons

Small Department for amount of work required. Many 60+ Hour 7 Day weeks,

3. Lab technician

Current Employee - Lab Chemist in Deer Park, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Chemist in Deer Park, TX

I have been working at Intertek (More than a year)

Pros

They have 4-6 weeks Training, good benefits

Cons

Pay less than average, No future

5. Project Analyst

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Job Security, Great coworkers, nice facility

Cons

High turnover, low pay, unreasonable expectations from management

Advice to Management

Pay the workers what the place across the street is paying and you wont have a problem with turnover.

6. you need a friend to move up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ethical company, expose to new business and people. flexible working hours schedule.Once your learn the Inspection bussines you will get a job for life, if that is what you want

Cons

Use to be managed like a familiy company where the people get promotions base on relationships more than skills & talen. Extremly focused on short term results and P&L, your value is as good as your las month figures.

Advice to Management

Give oportunities to new blood with new ideas. Invest on modern software tools beyond the Mcrosoft Office programs. develop your people

7. Fairly average for corporate America

Current Employee - Chemist I in Champaign, IL
    Current Employee - Chemist I in Champaign, IL

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Plenty of time off and good benefits (health, dental, vision, 401k, employee assistance program). Work hours are somewhat flexible, but it does have its limits, which is why the plenty of time off is nice. You start with 20 days (total).

Cons

It's corporate America. They expect you to do more with less when you need money to fund equipment purchases to enable doing more at lower cost.

Advice to Management

Stop being so stingy and buy equipment and give real raises. Also plan ahead for projects and communicate intentions so the employees have a chance to plan.

8. Not bad to gain experience

Current Employee - Program Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Program Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Good benefits / great exposure to industry expertise.

Cons

Too much intelligence and not nearly enough support management wise and with technology. We are asked to do too much without the proper equipment to handle the workload.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Thank your staff in person . Too much is spent hiding behind emails no one sees us as humans anymore. We are expected to produce at such a high quality level every single day. Say "thank you" now and then.

Good but a lot has changed (and continues to change)

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

It was great in the beginning many years ago whenthey were separate and smaller divisions.

Cons

In recent years they consolidated divisions which resulted in many structural changes such as off-shoring Service Desk etc which turned the tides.

Advice to Management

There are many great managers with years of tenure however the trend seems to be hiring of new leadership which are all working to make changes.

10. Good place to grow

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

Happy employees, feel invested in company success

Cons

Wear many hats, corporate values being forced upon startup company purchased in 2007

11. Good starting Job

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Intertek part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-employees are easy to work with and friendly. The job is easy although you have to be on your feet for long time. Benefit was good

Cons

Salary could have been better. They should offer better protection when working with chemicals.

RSS Feed </> Embed