Intertek

Intertek Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser

Wolfhart Hauser

Pros:
  • "global company with some opportunity for advancement"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Intertek overall is a terrific company with great people"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Too many hours, not enough pay and absolutely no communication from management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Intertek-Not your best option

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOne hundred plus year old company with a large variety of business offerings. European operations have the most structure and experienced employees.

ConsIntertek is the rare company that has little regard for either its employees or customers yet manages to stay in business by purchasing other companies. If you are considering a business development position keep in mind that just about everyone at Intertek is in business development and you will not get any direction or help. There is a self preservation culture at Intertek and no one is a team player since they mostly came from various companies purchased by Intertek and protect their own turf. Management is mostly inexperienced and has no interest in helping employees further their careers or improving the quality of customer service. Their labs in the U.S. have outdated equipment and facilities are run down.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture to focus on nurturing employees and taking better care of customers and not the price of Intertek stock or bottom line which is the current main focus of management.

Please just say "no" and don't do it.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Intertek full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are really no pros about working at Intertek.

ConsRampant turnover -- and I mean people are let go for NO reason or leave on their own with less than 1 year of service. Favoritism between managers and their buddies. They hire precious few women. We had none in my department -- none and it was almost 'odd' for lack of a better term. I only noticed because my wife works in tech and asked me how many were there. Wouldn't have noticed except she asked me to take count.

You will find people have worked at Intertek for 9-10 years (the "in crowd") or 1.5 years or less (the "out" crowd). No direction from the company. In sales a free-for-all....grab whatever business you can get; steal it from coworkers; your boss may steal credit from you for work you do. It's all considered fair at Intertek. In engineering expect to work 50-60 hrs a week at very low pay. Max raise...maybe 2%....yippeeee.

Hands down -- the absolutely worst company I have ever worked at in 20 years and I am very sorry I took the job. It lasted barely a year. No reason given for elimination....nada ...nothing. HR -- there is nothing human about them. Please unless you and your family are starving, do not do it. My own neighbor just informed me that he had to do business with Intertek for testing and related that their sales people cheated him, did not know what they were doing etc. And that between engineers and sales people Intertek recommended tests they did not need and did not recommend tests they did need -- then tried to bill their company for all of the testing when some of it was wrong (certifications) -- and now my neighbor's company is in a fight with Intertek. This pretty much sums it up. They do not care about customer service. They do not care about the customer at all. It's all about the sale/profit. Intertek shows profitability by buying labs from "families" that own them then they keep the families running the labs. They do not integrate the labs -- their software, methods etc. So people that deal with the labs on intercompany work must navigate multiple software systems, and methods -- and a "family" mentality where these families used to compete against Intertek or the labs it has purchased...so there is a lot of infighting between the labs because nobody has taken the bull by the horns and said...we are really "one company" -- the fighting is horrible and sometimes sales people and engineers get caught in the middle of it....a lab will say....that was my customer.....and another will say...well no they belong to us...despite it saying "Intertek" on the door.

It makes for serious inefficiencies and it's amazing when you think of what is possible as a company if they would just get on one page and dump the "good ole boy" network out on its butt. There is a lot of potential but they like to hire dumb cattle and not thinkers. If you are a thinker you will not last. You either will leave on your own or be booted out the door -- prematurely I might add. And often if involuntary it might be because you were the best of the bunch and the management got scared that they just might be working for you one day down the road.

Here is the scariest thing of all. When I hired in, there were 16 employees doing what I would be doing -- ALL BUT TWO had been there less than 1 year -- MANY for just 3 months. The others were either "let go" or quit because the way Intertek does business does not work. And NO this was not a new division. Those are scary statistics and I was unaware of them before I started. Every year the people turn over sometimes 30-40% of an office or department etc. Now you can say maybe you are hiring the wrong people....but with statistics like that...I'd say management is the issue and after working there and being let go...with under 1 year of service and yet doing a kick butt job as evidenced by emails sent to me from coworkers and clients touting just that....I'd say, with confidence that management is the problem. In fact, I know management is the problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet lost. Clean house of the garbage management. Most of it is garbage. Do 360 reviews -- yes let employees rank you too -- ah...a little too scary for you isn't it....nothing will change at Intertek.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocation, director of office is a nice guy

ConsTerrible pay, no room to move up within the company, overall cheap company

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not apply here unless you have no job otherwise

Very unpleasant company to work for

Engineer (Former Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a very large, growing, and highly profitable company. Drives margin at any cost. Pay is pretty good, and it has a good pension scheme.

ConsManagement are very untrustworthy and weak. There is a small gang in London in a holding company who rule like dictators. They way staff are treated by management is very poor. There is no direction or encouragement. Its very muchg a put up or shut up, my way or the highway approach. A very old fashioned culture which is quite unpleasant.
The offices are appaulingly bad, 30 year old furniture, dirty carpets, filthy decor, 1970's grey filing cabinets, no air conditioning.
Marketing is a particular weekness, with a lack of management extertise in head office and direction, and total absence of budgets and resource.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to realise that your most important concern should be your number one asset - your staff, and not shareholders. Its great to make a proffit, but whats the point if the company is miserable and hate the management team with a passion? Advice to middle managers - don't just be a lapdog to the senior managers, have some conviction.

Disappointing to work, lots of stress

Senior Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing. Even though they are located in Bay Area, the work culture is something like that of the 80's.

ConsNo work recognition, stressful hours, internal politics, too much work and deadline pressures. Saw 13 people leave the company in past 3 months. No efforts made to retain any employees.

Advice to Senior Managementbe less in profit making and make the employees happy

Absolutely Horrible Place to Work

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are very helpful to one another
Compensation is fair for the work you are performing

ConsRead the reviews and you will see a trend. Too many hours, not enough pay and absolutely no communication from management. The company went through a major reorganization and most employees and managers are still unaware of the changes and how they effect everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are following all of your policies across the board. No department is exempt from policies and procedures. Also, be sure you are treating everyone the same and don't play favorites within your department.

Poor, unorganized, lack of managment, no bonus, lots of yelling

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNew york office is in nice this time of year

ConsComputers and software is outdated, databases corrupted, missing / lost files. IT support takes days to resolve, often causing new problems. Intranet Extremely slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to spend money on the propertools for the job - Regarding technology

Communication is Pitiful

Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time for more than a year

ProsMy coworkers were fantastic, very supportive of one another.

ConsAbsolutely no proper communication from managers and senior leadership. Intertek expects you to work your tail off without any rewards and recognition. Salaries are below industry mean and bonuses are effected by senior management's inability to properly run the company.

There is no room for advancement in the support departments, so be prepared to stay where you are for a long time, if you make it.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery department should play by the same rules.

No opportunity for professional growth.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUmm....give me a couple weeks to think about this one..

ConsSelf-absorbed narcissistic management. Frequent firings if they lose a penny in any given quarter with no regard for the outstanding contributions made by highly skilled employees.

No real dedicated customer base as UL is still the dominant player in this industry.

About the Company

Test Engineer (Former Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

Proscompany has 127 years in testing various things

Conscompany never give importance to employees. no respect to the employees, waste work culture...

Very less salaries, even our company security guards are earning more than the employess. so you people only think about this..

Advice to Senior Managementgive importance to the employees and should provide basic salaries to the employees...

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!

Intertek Videos

Intertek – Why Work for Us?

For more than 127 years, companies around the world have depended on Intertek to ensure the quality and safety of their products, processes and systems. We go beyond testing, inspecting and certifying products… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intertek reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser. All 95 reviews posted anonymously by Intertek employees.