Intertek Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
165 reviews filtered by

I've noticed a lot of talk, and not a lot of action.

Current Employee - Liquid Cargo Inspector in Texas City, TX
    Current Employee - Liquid Cargo Inspector in Texas City, TX

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some good reasons to work here are the insurance, and general friendliness of co workers. For the most part, the staff in all areas is at least approachable for small talk.

Cons

Management is good at telling you what you would like to hear. Freely promise things, and then do not make good on their word. Rarely will offer verbal praise or encouragement for a job well done unless it was helping out at the last minute on a job where there was an extreme lack of available resources.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding and sympathetic. Yes, this is indeed a corporation and I understand some decisions will be made which effect people in negative ways while simultaneously being beneficial for business. However, it is the people that make a company. We have a high turn over in my office because competitors are willing to pay more for the same job, offer comparable insurance for less, along with other benefits of the job. Also, please get ADP and HR Payroll to where it does not take me two weeks to receive the missing hours from my check. When I receive my next pay check of the period before receiving all of the hours I was shorted on the previous check, this indicates to me that I do not matter.

Descent pay with flexible schedule but very stressful and overworked

Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, occasionally work from home, gained good experience

Cons

Stressful, tight deadlines, massive work load, no communication

Advice to Management

Try better communication techniques and don't overload employees

3. Have a great review for Intertek

Current Contractor - NDT Inspector in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Contractor - NDT Inspector in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Intertek as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people
    Great work place
    Travel
    Pay
    Light work

Cons

Away from home
    Not time off
    Long hrs
    No medical insurance
    Traveling

Advice to Management

None at this time

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is stable and offers fairly good benefits. The work load and expectations are reasonable and the employer is accommodating to flexible family needs.

Cons

The work environment here is very cool, people keep to themselves and since the company large, the feel is very corporate. On-boarding was rough and after having been in the group for 6+ months, I feel there is not much team spirit.

Great for a Stepping Stone but don't stay long

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Medical and Vacation Benefits were good. There was a diverse amount of work to and if you were willing you could learn a lot. Great place to do some professional networking and make some good contacts.

Cons

High employee turn over. A complete lack of competent management. The month to month budgets make for a very stressful environment. This company doesn't learn from past mistakes and keeps on making the same ones. Management will steal your ideas and take credit for them. Most managers are lifers who can't work anywhere else because they lack the skills to do so and lack the skills to lead and manage. There is a compete lack of concern for employee safety and environmental protection. Management is so scared to loose their jobs that they only care about meeting the numbers that they need for the month and doing things safely doesn't help with those numbers.
    There is poor opportunity for growth and the management seems to be threatened by those who want to improve themselves. There is a complete lack of leadership and respect. So often your tools or equipment were stolen. Also be prepared to be stabbed in the back as no one takes responsibility for their actions.
    The HR department is a complete mess and has people who don't know how to do their jobs and only seem to come for a visit when they are firing someone. You shouldn't fear your HR department and it seemed like we weren't important enough to help.
    Last but not least as a salary employee you are expected to work insane hours with absolutely no compensation. You get PTO days which include vacation and sick days so there is no help there. Intertek doesn't pay near the industry standards for the positions that they have so be prepared to be overworked and underpaid

Advice to Management

Get with it. This company has so much potential but Upper management is so focused on the $$ an not on efficiency or bettering processes. Your lower management shouldn't be so scared to do their jobs that they drag the company down.

Too much upper management and not enough people to perform the testing. Most employees have been there for 15+ years.

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Intertek full-time

Pros

Starting 4 weeks vacation. Friendly people.

Cons

No contact with upper management. Problems get passed off to the next person.

Advice to Management

If you show some appreciation and worth towards entry level employees they would be more likely to stay. High turnover rate. Many employees actively seeking other employment.

High turnover.

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

20 days off a year, good benefits. Adequate pay for what you do. A lot of corporate managers and observers to watch over what you do.

Cons

High turnover. This leads to being constantly in an "orientation" mode. They won't train you because they don't know how Always recruiting for the job and not enough training for the job.
    There is a disproportionate number of senior managers, auditors, supervisors. etc, that do not contribute anything to the bottom line, but travel around, cost money, and generate even more work that justifies their traveling around and spending more money

Advice to Management

Get rid of half of the non-producers, Either give them something that generates revenue or let them go..

It's ok

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, really friendly atmosphere

Cons

No career growth, most likely will be doing the same for the rest of your life

No Accountability of Managers

Former Contractor - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intertek as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You can meet many great employees and really expand your network quickly.

Cons

You can really expand your network quickly because of the high turnover rate. Either the good talent get scooped or find a better job or their contract is ended. The people that remain at the company are those that have never tried to get a job elsewhere. Very cliquey staff make internal politics a nightmare. Overall, everyone is very unhappy.

Advice to Management

The new director is very good. But the management that was handed to her needs a major makeover. Some of the Project managers are very good. Some are VERY bad. None are held accountable for their actions, or lack of actions. If you want to get good employees, invest in an HR consultant to assist with the hiring process. Making hiring decisions based on the opinions of Senior Staff members and other Temps is both uneducated and unprofessional. Also, please tell the PM/PI and staff to at least wear something nicer than a T-Shirt when interviewing people that are coming in wearing suits and dress clothes. The first impression given is that of "we don't care".

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, and good location

Cons

no health benefits at all

Advice to Management

N/A