Intertek Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
2.9

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • Intertek overall is a terrific company with great people (in 4 reviews)

• Massive, growing, profitable company, some nice people on the coal face (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Absolutely Horrible Place to Work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are very helpful to one another
    Compensation is fair for the work you are performing

Cons

Read the reviews and you will see a trend. Too many hours, not enough pay and absolutely no communication from management. The company went through a major reorganization and most employees and managers are still unaware of the changes and how they effect everyone.

Make sure you are following all of your policies across the board. No department is exempt from policies and procedures. Also, be sure you are treating everyone the same and don't play favorites within your department.

Disappointing to work, lots of stress

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing. Even though they are located in Bay Area, the work culture is something like that of the 80's.

Cons

No work recognition, stressful hours, internal politics, too much work and deadline pressures. Saw 13 people leave the company in past 3 months. No efforts made to retain any employees.

be less in profit making and make the employees happy

Poor, unorganized, lack of managment, no bonus, lots of yelling

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New york office is in nice this time of year

Cons

Computers and software is outdated, databases corrupted, missing / lost files. IT support takes days to resolve, often causing new problems. Intranet Extremely slow.

Need to spend money on the propertools for the job - Regarding technology

Placed me in a job in NYC

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well. The interview process was fast. They were doing direct placement so from the time they contacted me to the time I had my first interview was only a week.

Cons

Once you start working for them you really do not hear from them. Except if you time sheet is late. An associate of mine referred a colleague of his and he was hired and they made no offer of a referral fee. Had to go to them and request the referral fee. The fee was very low considering the quality of the hire and term that he worked on the project.

You should work with you consultants on staff and give them an incentive to look for new opportunities when working for a client.

Communication is Pitiful

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were fantastic, very supportive of one another.

Cons

Absolutely no proper communication from managers and senior leadership. Intertek expects you to work your tail off without any rewards and recognition. Salaries are below industry mean and bonuses are effected by senior management's inability to properly run the company.

There is no room for advancement in the support departments, so be prepared to stay where you are for a long time, if you make it.

Every department should play by the same rules.

Intertek - New Employee

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Great Benefits, room for growth, challenging work, get to test new products, learn a wide variety of technology.

Cons

If you don't like report writing, this job is not for you

Recruit good talent.

Intertek does not provide the resources to support a strong quality program.

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Intertek offers new engineers a wide selection of entry level positions. The firm works globally and is always seeking new trainees.

Cons

Training resources are mediocre and the firm does not budget in adequate time on testing projects. The lack of internal Quality has caused Intertek to lose certification in several areas.

Greater expertise is needed in several areas especially QA/QC and leadership. Rapid turnover in personnel will continue and the historical memory and expertise will leave at the first opportunity unless steps are taken to retain talent.

Opportunity for those who want it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boxborough, MA

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Intertek is a company that let's you create your own course. If you're hard-working and enthusiastic and want to lead, there are no shortage of opportunities. Intertek's management teams are very supportive of new ideas and innovation. The company is growing and expectations are high to continue that growth. There is a lot of positive energy to keep moving forward. Intertek is a big company that often acts like a small company.

Cons

Once again, Intertek is a big company that often acts like a small company. Resources can be tight at times, or in planning stages that seem to take forever. Budgets can be small because we're spread thin. We often move so fast on to the next project that no one ever gets to catch a breath, review the last project, learn from it, measure it, etc. I often hear people say they feel like they work alone, no camaraderie, even though they work on a team.

Set clear direction and share it as appropriate throughout upper management, middle management, and the rest of the company. Too often people say "I don't know, they never tell me anything." People here are willing to work hard but they want to feel like they're part of something larger.

No opportunity for professional growth.

Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Umm....give me a couple weeks to think about this one..

Cons

Self-absorbed narcissistic management. Frequent firings if they lose a penny in any given quarter with no regard for the outstanding contributions made by highly skilled employees.

No real dedicated customer base as UL is still the dominant player in this industry.

Looking forward to growing with Intertek!

Current Employee - Business Administration Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Business Administration Specialist in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Intertek full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Intertek is a very large company giving employees many opportunities for growth. They encourage learning and even continuing your education. Benefits and pay were on point!

Cons

I have not been with Intertek long enough to really see any cracks in the system; However, the IT ticketing process can be improved to ensure timely results.

Review the IT ticketing process.