Intevac Reviews

Norman Pond

1. Senior Technician

Former Employee - Senior Technician in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Technician in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are recognized for the hard work that you do, flexibility on time, Supervisor always challenge you to do different projects.

Cons

No time schedule on projects, not a team environment, communication

2. Horrible company

Pros

People, location and that is about it

Cons

Layoffs, no raises, mandatory shut downs, terminated 401 (k) match, senior management lacks vision

Advice to Management

Figure out direction of company and value your employees

Dead End

Former Employee - Staff in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Staff in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A few great people, technical competence, and a collegial atmosphere overall. I made some good friends during my tenure at Intevac. Central location, so more or less a convenient commute. Workload reasonable, but compensation sub-par relative to market.

Cons

A really down-trodden, depressing atmosphere. Very little recognition/appreciation from management. Middle management is mostly comprised of risk-averse career dead-enders that are playing safe and biding their time to retirement. Everyone lives in fear of HR; quick to resort to layoffs when the going gets rough, and turnover has at times been really high. The equipment side of the business serves a well-established, mature market (data storage), but it's mostly a "spares" business, and there really isn't much new tech in the pipeline. Photonics is a disorganized mess; the technology is ok, but they're not competent at manufacturing; I expect that they'll soon sell off this division to a larger company that can profitably manufacture the products. I miss working with many of my colleagues, but overall I'm very glad that I decided to move on to greener pastures.

Small Company trying to be a Big Company with Little Follow Through

Former Employee - Planner in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Planner in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Intevac Equipment Division has a lot of friendly and talented people. From day one they make you feel like part of the family. The Equipment Division has some superior technology and products. The Imaging Division has had a lot of rapid growth which is promising for the companies future.

Cons

There has been a lot of turn over and RIFs in Intevac overall the past several years. Senior Management has lots of promising words and upbeat outlook, but the history shows they are in a downspin as far as the Equipment Division future business. The Imaging Division has had a lot of key employees leaving which makes one wonder what is going on there and why management doesn't do something about it. Employees are always fearful of the next pending layoffs, which happen frequently. There is very little promotions within the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

Management at the Corporate Level needs to recognize they are spending more money on replacing good talented employees and are also loosing business. There seems to be too much focus on short term Sales & Profit, at the expense of future business and a company going out of business.

6. Intevac Imaging is dissolving

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Imaging group at Intevac has some leading edge technology and very talented engineers at both locations. The Imaging Manufacturing group there are a first class operation. Working there is exciting.

Cons

There have been a lot of engineers and managers who have resigned over the past year. Most of these employees were critical to our future. There seems to be a feeling that the ship is sinking and key people are exciting almost every other week. Job security is very questionable there.

Advice to Management

Management in Intevac Imaging tends to brief us on all the upcoming opportunities and future business, that never seems to materialize. Management needs to start telling us the truth and have a real strategy for the future. Management needs to open their eyes to why so many senior and key employees are leaving Intevac at both locations.

7. Flowers for Algernon

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

When I first started 5 years ago the company was exciting with motivated employees. The company benefits were on parr with the rest of the valkey

Cons

Almost from the beginning, Intevac has had one layoff after another each year. No merit increases, mandatory shut down days, and a contrast fear of the next layoff. Which we just had this month. Employee morale despite what HR and Senior Management state is at an all time low. Me and my peers don't want to rock the boat in fear of being added to the next RIF list. It is now a very depressing work environment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to focus on a real Business Strategy versus reducing costs by continual layoffs. In Photonics senior management needs to ask themselves why so many key employees are abandoning ship. Maybe the top needs to change. The Board of Directors needs to start Directing the future of the Company. Currently the ship is without a direction of Captain.

Working for Intevac Inc. was a great experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Intevac Inc. is filled with great people and the company culture is laid back. Moral was up and down in the 10 years I spent there, but it was mostly up as everyone was engaged with work and lived fulfilled lives. The benefits package was decent; including profit sharing, free gym membership, and educational reimbursement. There was also opportunities to come in and make some extra money--that really helps. Intevac also provides PTO (Paid Time Off) based on seniority, so if an employee has been an employee for five years, they get 6 hours of PTO every two weeks. In 10 years of service, it goes up to 8 hours of PTO every two weeks. The PTO is accruable up to 400 hours and they actually let you use it... as long as you are not involved in something with a critical deadline. There was a yearly review process that allowed for predictable opportunities for advancement, as well as a clear path forward on what is expected in the different levels. Each level was outlined clearly with the skills required for the title and he pay scales for each level. Safety is priority number one, if anyone suspects something is not safe, they immediately halt the work to investigate the problem. If you get injured on the job, even the slightest, the health and safety engineer comes and evaluates the situation and suggests improvements to make the work safer. The benefits package includes life insurance and full disability coverage in case something bad happens. Fortunately, I never knew anyone that took advantage of the life insurance, but I knew a few that used the disability and they said it worked great. Best of all, the engineering projects were diverse and really kept the work interesting and something to look forward to. I learned something new everyday working for this company. No one I knew spoke negatively about the company except when it came to upper management.

Cons

There were many projects going on at once at Intevac, and the pressure to succeed was great. Often I would be moved from one thing to the next, sometimes multiples times a day. When a deadline is looming, everyone is really stressed and the pressure increases greatly causing a very mild mannered person to become the most frustrating person you have ever met. As my time came near towards the end, the company was experiencing greater and greater hardship and some of the benefits that were so nice started getting the ax. Worst of all to get the ax was the 401k match. It was 1/2 of what the employee contributed, but still valuable. There is also political struggles within the upper management that just make you go "WTF?" it seems some people are just not satisfied until they have it all. Ultimately my position was terminated due to a political struggle. Often these political struggles caused moral to dip and increased stress. Every February seemed to be the time when people got laid off, and there would be a dark cloud hanging over the entire company until the lay off. Every year. More than 5 employees that I know of have heart problems, or stress related illnesses. There were also multiple nervous breakdowns that occurred in my time there. Luckily the new CEO is starting to right the ship, but hopefully it is not too late.

Advice to Management

Stop being a-holes.

9. Long term growth?

Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company - feel like a family, operates like a family

Cons

Constraint in growth potentialt - company or career

Advice to Management

Think outside the box. Take risk.

10. I've found it a welcoming company with many talented employees.

I have been working at Intevac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A few creative, very smart people and many that are great in their supportive roles.

Cons

A little weak in leadership & communication.

Equipment vs Photonics

I have been working at Intevac full-time

Pros

smaller company. you get to know everyone you work with well. easy to talk to upper management.

Cons

little to know recognition for individuals hard work. engineers are the only ones that matter. management would rather hire new employees to fill openings instead of promoting from within.

Advice to Management

value your employees or lose them to a company that does.

Showing 31 of reviews