Intrax

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

Takeshi Yokota

Fun international atmosphere but lots of politics involved within the company.

Former Employee - AuPairCare in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - AuPairCare in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intrax is a very large company that offers many different types of international education and exchange programs. There is a young, fun international vibe throughout the company.

Cons

Employees are not compensated for the work that they do. There is a lack of communication between management and employees. Upon receiving my position at Intrax I was told that there was lots of room for growth. However, at the same time upper management does not like to have employees move around positions. Therefore, promotions are far and few between, which causes employees to lose interest in the company as they cannot see a future there.

Appreciate and recognize your employees more often for the work that they do.

Absolutely no: communication/feedback/reward or acknowledgement for hard work.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intrax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here-- hardworking, funny, kind, and fun to be around. There are two employee 'thank you' events every year: a Halloween party and a Holiday luncheon in December.

Cons

Intrax is blindly directed by an aloof CEO, one that makes it clear (whether he knows it or not) that money matters and people do not. Employees feel expendable and their hard work is very rarely acknowledged. Communication is practically nonexistent. Job roles are constantly changing without prior communication or input from the employees affected. Instruction and guidance are not provided when the changes take place. The staff are expected to figure things out on their own. This leads to a lot of confusion, frustration and extra work.
    Over the years, most of the staff I've worked with have resigned on their own accord while a large majority of the upper management have remained with the company. My own personal experience with upper management has not been a positive one. I feel that most will advocate for themselves more than anyone else, are unresponsive and inaccessible.

The only way to keep talent is to recognize hard work; let your staff know that you appreciate them. Just a simple, "thank you for your hard work" every once in a while would be a good way to start. The Halloween party and Holiday luncheon are great. However, that leaves 11 more months out of the year in which the employees receive zero feedback or acknowledgement for their hard work.

Listen to your staff. Let them know that their opinions are welcome and valued.

Most of all, respond to their questions, even if the answer is "I don't know" !

Good luck...

I worked at Intrax

Pros

International company with a globally diverse workforce
    Good office location near FIDI/China town

Cons

An alarming rate of employee turnover which is 99% attributed to the poor management employees are subjected to. Management has a "you do as I say and don't you dare question my authority" approach which leads to a lot of friction not just with their staff but also with other departments
    Employees are treated as hourly employees. You'll be sent emails if you're deemed to be taking too long of a lunch, or break ect.
    You have no control or say with your manager about the projects you are assigned
    Terrible communication from managers and upper management about project deadlines and expectations
    "everything is always a top priority"
    company goes through reorg every few years

If you want to reduce turnover and retain your employees for more than a year
    -Fire your current management team. Your departments are very disconnected, and it it's all caused by the poor managers you have chosen to lead them.
    -Invest in training of your employees
    -If you're so concerned with how long of a break your employees take, stock the offer kitchen so lunch is available to them in the office.

Former loyal employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture and meet lots of friends

Cons

Management is not seeing the effort you put in

Care more about your employee

Good place for your first job

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start and learn. Intrax has a pretty casual work environment. It will get monotonous pretty quickly depending on which department you are in but if you are interested in getting started in international cultural exchange it's a great place to be.

Cons

Most people kept to themselves but at times I felt there was a lot of gossip going around the office. I just liked to go in and get my work done.

Please be more transparent about upcoming changes. Executive management seems to change frequently and the direction of the company is unclear.

Great people, disorganized corporate culture

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost everyone at the company has lived, worked, studied, or travelled abroad, so colleagues are pretty interesting. Some divisions, like Work Travel, allow employees to travel to really interesting destinations for hiring fairs. If you are motivated and driven you can pick up extra projects and move up within the company; if you aren't, you can safely coast and have a light work schedule.

Cons

Pay isn't great; turnover is high; upper management changes priorities frequently; layoffs happen every year; industry isn't growing; too many meetings without resolutions or ownership

Invest more in training so that employees can continue to grow; reduce the number of meetings so that managers are more available to their employees.

Great experience at Intrax

I worked at Intrax part-time

Pros

Positive work environment for sure

Cons

No classes on Fridays means less work hours per week.

Entry-level position, then move on

Current Employee - Program Advisor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Large corporate culture. Happy hours, team lunches, holiday parties, etc.
    - A great entry-level position (my first 'real job' out of college) that exposed me to working in an office environment
    - Diversity. Because this company works with international partners and has other international offices, there are many international employees. Have fun hearing a variety of accents around the office, and be prepared for the craziness of sporting events like the world cup
    - Opportunity to travel. My position requires visits universities to improve outreach efforts, as well as to develop relationships with faculty. There is also an opportunity to go on site to Belize, Ghana or Peru after working for minimum one year
    - Compensation reasonable

Cons

- Large corporate culture. Senior management makes all the decisions without taking into consideration other employees. Driven by numbers rather than overall client satisfaction
    - Low-moderate employee moral (depends on department)
    - Minimal training. I was trained by my fellow PAs. A year down the road we were told that we were doing things incorrectly and needed to be re-trained
    - Lack a communication between management and employees. Lack of communication between departments (inefficient). Website has incorrect information and re-routes clients to wrong departments. Confusing, time-consuming, inefficient.
    - May be required to stay late during high season. Boring in low season

- Work on developing your individual employees and there won't be such a high turnover in entry-level positions (employees choose to leave).
    - Quality control. Do it.
    - Have a heart

Good company to work for..

Former Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and management, easy-going atmosphere and some freedom within the curriculum.

Cons

Can be difficult to make rent with the pay, sometimes your hours might get cut based on enrollment numbers.

Profit-sharing a bit more with employees may be a good idea, because they probably know that the students are paying high prices for school and especially for their housing.

Great experience

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intrax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic and exciting work environment

Cons

long hours and difficulty balancing work to life ratio

give your managers training on people skills