Intrax

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.6

Takeshi Yokota

Great place to start your career

I worked at Intrax

Pros

Wonderful place to start and develop your skills. Plenty of room for advancement and learning.

Cons

Like any office environment there are politics. Depending on how you fall in the hierarchy this could be challenging.

Great people, good mission, low pay

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax

Pros

Great coworkers--the people truly did make working here a great experience. I've made many friends and professional connections that I will keep in touch with for years to come. It's a fun, young, worldly group. The company culture is generally pretty good as a result of this. My personal track at the company proved that there is a lot of room for growth and learning, though I may have had a somewhat unique experience in this regard.

Cons

Does not pay well. They get what I call the "Intrax discount" because employees often drink the kool-aid--the company has a cool mission and occasionally offers international travel as a perk and this often results in the trade-off of lower-than-industry-standard pay. This leads to talent retention issues. This aspect is difficult to justify given bay-area cost of living.

Management is horrible and they know nothing about International Development

Former Employee - ProWorld Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - ProWorld Program Coordinator

I worked at Intrax (more than an year)

Pros

Living abroad and having very little interaction with the headquarters staff. I loved implementing programs and having university groups come down, but it simply didn't last long because management slashed our program budget and raised participant costs so we had no interns or university groups. The work was amazing and I was given the latitude to create any sort of program I wanted because no one else knew anything about international development. However, management's decisions resulted in no interns or groups so there was no work to be done.

Cons

Salaries are low, but foreign NGO salaries are always low. Intrax has no experience in international development and showed no interest in learning about the programs we implemented abroad. They never communicated with country offices so the staff was confused and left in the dark about things. Local staff is constantly afraid of being fired.

They never gave me information on my benefits, no orientation, and then refused to pay my flight home despite that being a part of my contract.

Hire development professionals because you're running ProWorld into the ground. Slashing program budgets and raising participant costs means poor quality programs and fewer participants, this seems rather basic but clearly management doesn't understand these principles.

Absolutely no: communication/feedback/reward or acknowledgement for hard work.

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Intrax full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people here-- hardworking, funny, kind, and fun to be around. There are two employee 'thank you' events every year: a Halloween party and a Holiday luncheon in December.

Cons

Intrax is blindly directed by an aloof CEO, one that makes it clear (whether he knows it or not) that money matters and people do not. Employees feel expendable and their hard work is very rarely acknowledged. Communication is practically nonexistent. Job roles are constantly changing without prior communication or input from the employees affected. Instruction and guidance are not provided when the changes take place. The staff are expected to figure things out on their own. This leads to a lot of confusion, frustration and extra work.
    Over the years, most of the staff I've worked with have resigned on their own accord while a large majority of the upper management have remained with the company. My own personal experience with upper management has not been a positive one. I feel that most will advocate for themselves more than anyone else, are unresponsive and inaccessible.

The only way to keep talent is to recognize hard work; let your staff know that you appreciate them. Just a simple, "thank you for your hard work" every once in a while would be a good way to start. The Halloween party and Holiday luncheon are great. However, that leaves 11 more months out of the year in which the employees receive zero feedback or acknowledgement for their hard work.

Listen to your staff. Let them know that their opinions are welcome and valued.

Most of all, respond to their questions, even if the answer is "I don't know" !

Good luck...

I worked at Intrax

Pros

International company with a globally diverse workforce
    Good office location near FIDI/China town

Cons

An alarming rate of employee turnover which is 99% attributed to the poor management employees are subjected to. Management has a "you do as I say and don't you dare question my authority" approach which leads to a lot of friction not just with their staff but also with other departments
    Employees are treated as hourly employees. You'll be sent emails if you're deemed to be taking too long of a lunch, or break ect.
    You have no control or say with your manager about the projects you are assigned
    Terrible communication from managers and upper management about project deadlines and expectations
    "everything is always a top priority"
    company goes through reorg every few years

If you want to reduce turnover and retain your employees for more than a year
    -Fire your current management team. Your departments are very disconnected, and it it's all caused by the poor managers you have chosen to lead them.
    -Invest in training of your employees
    -If you're so concerned with how long of a break your employees take, stock the offer kitchen so lunch is available to them in the office.

Former loyal employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good culture and meet lots of friends

Cons

Management is not seeing the effort you put in

Care more about your employee

Fun international atmosphere but lots of politics involved within the company.

Former Employee - AuPairCare in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - AuPairCare in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intrax is a very large company that offers many different types of international education and exchange programs. There is a young, fun international vibe throughout the company.

Cons

Employees are not compensated for the work that they do. There is a lack of communication between management and employees. Upon receiving my position at Intrax I was told that there was lots of room for growth. However, at the same time upper management does not like to have employees move around positions. Therefore, promotions are far and few between, which causes employees to lose interest in the company as they cannot see a future there.

Appreciate and recognize your employees more often for the work that they do.

Good place for your first job

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to start and learn. Intrax has a pretty casual work environment. It will get monotonous pretty quickly depending on which department you are in but if you are interested in getting started in international cultural exchange it's a great place to be.

Cons

Most people kept to themselves but at times I felt there was a lot of gossip going around the office. I just liked to go in and get my work done.

Please be more transparent about upcoming changes. Executive management seems to change frequently and the direction of the company is unclear.

Great people, disorganized corporate culture

I worked at Intrax full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost everyone at the company has lived, worked, studied, or travelled abroad, so colleagues are pretty interesting. Some divisions, like Work Travel, allow employees to travel to really interesting destinations for hiring fairs. If you are motivated and driven you can pick up extra projects and move up within the company; if you aren't, you can safely coast and have a light work schedule.

Cons

Pay isn't great; turnover is high; upper management changes priorities frequently; layoffs happen every year; industry isn't growing; too many meetings without resolutions or ownership

Invest more in training so that employees can continue to grow; reduce the number of meetings so that managers are more available to their employees.

Great experience at Intrax

I worked at Intrax part-time

Pros

Positive work environment for sure

Cons

No classes on Fridays means less work hours per week.