Intrepid Learning Solutions

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
3.1

Sam Herring

Two types of employee here, your either staff or an outsourced temp.

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a temp employee brought on for one long-term project, my "inside" view of Intrepid is limited. I was impressed with their professionalism and commitment to my success.

Cons

As an outsourced, temporary W2 employee you are not offered any benefits.

Actually, no advice. Intrepid was forthcoming, open and honest at every turn. Keep up the good work.

Paid my bills - WHEN I had a project

I worked at Intrepid Learning Solutions as a contractor

Pros

It is great to work from home. Hourly rate is decent, as long as you don't take any benefits then the rate drops dramatically. There are some great people (contractors) who work there. If you need a temporary job to pay your bills while you are looking elsewhere, this is a great one or two project place as long as you can get the projects.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with employees. Most employees are either variable or pool, and only get assigned projects when the very few full time staff have too much on their plates. Some of the full time people are nasty and self centered individuals and not pleasant to work with at all. Middle management treats variable and pool employees like a distraction and acts like they are a bother. Don't expect to get anywhere.

Reconsider your staffing situation. The variable and pool model isn't a great one for keeping talented people on board and available.

Internal customers, the most challenging customers

I have been working at Intrepid Learning Solutions

Pros

Flexible work hours, work situations, room to build and grow as is commensurate with your desire, great product, exciting direction, genuinely nice people.

Cons

Management challenges, needs some operations strength and a focus on business strategy, struggle with accountability internally.

Running a company is like being a parent, you need to build consistency in action first, and everything else can flex. It might be worth building that muscle.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional organization dealing with customer satisfaction.

Former Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Wichita, KS

I worked at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The management takes care of their people while making sure the customer has the proper training.

Cons

Sometimes they buckle under pressure of the customer and compromise their integrity.

Stick to your guns, sometimes it is okay to tell the customer no.

Great place for those who make it happen for themselves.

Current Employee - Consultant/Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant/Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working for Intrepid means working with some excellent, well known, organizations (Intrepid's clients). The work is challenging and flexible. Intrepid does its best when we're solving complex business challenges and are enabling our clients' business strategy. High performers are truly able to succeed.

A great place for people who consider themselves in charge of their careers. Quality of work, strong execution, and bright ideas are rewarded with opportunities for advancement and promotion. You can truly create your own career path here. People who wait for opportunity to be handed to them, or expect a traditional corporate career path will be disappointed.

Great flexibility in schedule and opportunities to telecommute. Majority of professional services team are remote employees. Very generous PTO.

Cons

Intrepid can be slow to manage low performers out of the organization, which can sometimes have a negative impact on morale.

Intrepid is a small company and is unable to offer a 401k match.

Don't avoid the tough conversations about performance. The new strategy provides an opportunity to redefine the talent requirements and make-up of the company.

Miserable

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Everett, WA

I have been working at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

About the only real benefit is that you collect a paycheck every two weeks. I do like working in a manufacturing environment and knowing that I'm a part of the process to builds aircraft is exciting.

Cons

Fluctuating shift schedule, reduced weekly hours, poor management, no retirement benefits, squirrely PTO accruement, no paid sick leave, no career or job advancement opportunities. 3 years a slave.

Middle management is useless and is probably telling you what you want to hear. Take a look at your org chart and cut your management fat. Get out and talk to your employees that are generating your revenue.

Better than unemployment

Former Employee - Instructor/Assessor  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Instructor/Assessor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

High hourly rate, plenty of (unpaid) time off, I really don't have much positive to say about this company. I left and have never looked back.

Cons

Unstable schedule, less than 40 hours per week, lots of local travel, no real career advancement. They have you sign a non-compete agreement with worldwide scope preventing you from working at any other training company, which is unenforceable.

Lack of direction and experience at the top.

I have been working at Intrepid Learning Solutions for more than 3 years

Pros

I get to work with some pretty amazing individuals. They are smart and good at what they do.

Cons

You can have the best employees but if the leaders can't make even a basic plan, it's all a waste. Priorities are constantly changing and people don't seem very excited to be at work. I can't say that I blame them. Many of the executives don't seem to have the ability to make solid business decisions. Don't know if its because many come from a learning background but I think it's not good for the company.

Wake up and see what's going on at your company and commit to make real change! Bring in some new talent at the executive level who has experience growing a company.

Depressed Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time

Pros

Intrepid offers fair pay and competitive employee benefits. Many of the individual contributors are very intelligent and hard working, including some of the upper management. The company may be on the edge of re-launching services that will provide value to end clients. Time will tell.

Cons

The senior management team seem stuck with vision and go-to-market strategy and messaging. When you meet the leadership, there's not a charismatic individual among them. They're a bunch of monotone talking heads. For the most part, they are former 'training practitioners' who have risen to the level of their own inadequacy by luck, time and cronyism. They charge clients very high rates claiming to deliver 'value' but still seem quite financially unstable (layoffs, missed sales projections again and again). It seems likely Intrepid is waiting for someone to buy them so that executives can profit and breath a sigh of relief. On an employee survey last year, 75% of employees were either 'dissatisfied' or 'strongly dissatisfied' with the working environment. That says it all.

If you want to deliver value - rethink Intrepid's go-to-market strategy, price services fairly and quit focusing on being bought out. Focus on your valued clients and employees. And, consider sourcing talent based on merit, not friendship.

A company that keeps reinventing the wheel

I worked at Intrepid Learning Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hard to come up with positives. They seem to chase their tail around identifying and delivering training products. Many clients leave after the first experience.

Cons

The company is not process driven. Very hard to build good training products when they keep putting ineffectual consultants and PMs in front of clients. Without good tools, processes and managers in place it is hard to see how they stay in business. Tough environment to grow your skills. They have had waves of employees but few feel validated. There are many better companies to work for in the Puget Sound.

The CFO micromanaged everything without a deep understanding of the training dev process. She tried to rewrite Microsoft contracts! Each employee who is placed in an offsite job and is given an opportunity to work for the client, becomes her enemy. Therefore, these ex- employees never bring new business to Intrepid. Very toxic environment.

Worked for Intrepid Learning Solutions? Contribute to the Community!