Intrexon

Add Photos

Randal J. Kirk

It is a company

I worked at Intrexon full-time

ProsYou will gain experience in your field of choice in a corporate environment that you should use in your search for another position elsewhere.

ConsIn the past there were constant seemingly random firings/layoffs that create a political and social enviroment that is dominated by fear ,secrecy and internal competition that does not create value for the company. As a human this is not a psychologically advantageous environment to spend much of your time in .

Exciting work, chaotic organization

San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intrexon full-time

ProsInteresting work on many projects, some of them among the hottest and most cutting edge in biotech. Good scientists and research associates. Very strong leader of Health Sector.

ConsProjects change very rapidly. Top heavy at East Coast locations--VPs and Senior Directors involved in minutia. Lots of pressure from many directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out a little, the work will get done on schedule.

Great environment to work in

I worked at Intrexon

ProsGood people, interesting work, great culture, very supportive

ConsAfter releasing it's IPO, Intrexon decided to be all "hush hush" about its operations

Company with great potential that going to wrong directions by bad management

I worked at Intrexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people to work with. Small company.

ConsBad management. High number of lay-offs. Almost every 5-6 months. Dont care about employees.

Worst place I have ever worked. Stay far, far away.

Germantown, MD

I worked at Intrexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice coworkers who are all searching for positions at other companies. Commute to Germantown is better than having to go farther south on 270. Good restuarants for lunch nearby.

ConsHorrible work environment. No direction, priorities change every day. Directors/VPs have no clue about science and even less about gene therapy. Maybe some of them should read the primary literature from 20 years ago so Intrexon would not continue to repeat past mistakes and waste unbelievable amounts of money. Layoffs happen every several months, at the same time new employees are being hired. There is such high turnover that no one there knows what studies have been done in the last year, let alone from company inception. Employees are running scared and the inept management has no clue why the morale is so bad. Worst place I have ever worked and I have been in biotech for over 25 years!

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down and cut your losses. There is no way to fix the horrible mess you have caused.

Some director was very good at technician's job instead of the management

I worked at Intrexon full-time

ProsThis is a very good place for politician. Some people on director level can get high salary by working on the technician's job.

ConsSome director loved to work on technician's job to make easy money. It was weird that the director competed with technician.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe director skilled on technician's job is not a manager, but a senior technician. Hire a senior technician is much cheaper than hire a so called "director" with high salary.

This biotech firm will fail faster than it lays off employees.

I have been working at Intrexon full-time

ProsAbsolutely none. I can't think of one thing.

ConsWhere do I even begin? First off, this company has zero empathy for the people they employ. Intrexon used to have a very competitive benefits package. They basically eliminated that and no tuition reimbursement which was a plus for many of the employees here. So many layoffs, you feel like you're constantly playing Russian roulette when you walk through the doors. Mentally unstable upper level management with absolutely NO background in science or biotechnology, hence giving the scientists unrealistic expectations and unattainable goals. There's no possible way to move up unless you're one of management's favorites. New positions that open up within the company are immediately filled by people with no experience as demanded by the position, and no interviews were ever conducted to give anyone else a chance to even try and get the job. There is also no tangible employee handbook, just a series of "rules" made up by someone random when management finds something out that rubs them the wrong way. The way that this company is going now, I have little hope for the fate of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people who "manage" the lab associates should learn something about science themselves and apply that to making more logical "operational decisions."

Small company with opportunity for real impact, but lacking in business focus.

Associate Scientist (Former Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Intrexon full-time for less than a year

ProsEndless supply of interesting projects, opportunity for real impact on project advancement.

ConsPoor business plan; frequent random layoffs; Very limited investment in employee morale

Messy upper management do not know what to do with talents

Director (Former Employee)
Germantown, MD

I worked at Intrexon full-time for less than a year

ProsCompany has a lot of cash and manpower to run a lot of programs. It has rich resource and experienced scientists.

ConsUnfortunately the senior management don't know how to better use the talents they have. Very unstable environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid if you can

Terrible Work Environment, Even Worse Management

Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Intrexon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits... that is really about it. Unfortunately those are going away too!

ConsAs mentioned, the benefits were good, but are dwindling away. The management is just terrible.The work environment is terrible too as you have to defend your job every time you talk to your manager. The management treats employees with no dignity or respect at all. There were many occasions where employees are berated in the middle of the lab simply because the manager was in a bad mood. There is no direction to the company as their goals change on a daily basis. Skilled and knowledgeable employees are looked down upon... actually, they are fired. There is no room for advancement within the company. They have told employees on many occasions that they do not want people there more than two years. There are also no raises whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat employees as if they are human! Avoid this company at all costs!

Worked for Intrexon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intrexon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intrexon CEO Randal J. Kirk. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Intrexon employees.