Intronis

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
3.7

Rick Faulk

A culture that will be hard to walk away from

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Excellent people. You'll find a diverse range of personalities, most on the odd but interesting side. I've made many friends and expect to be in touch with them long after we part ways professionally.

* Autonomy (depending on department). I've been lucky to be part of a team of smart, independently motivated folks. We are given control over our own work, and rather than being micromanaged are treated as trusted advisers by our manager. My perception is that this differs by department, but on the engineering and product side there is a lot of self-management - maybe less so for sales or support positions.

* Free food, ping-pong, and various activities throughout the year. It's nice to have things to look forward to in the office.

* Talent recognition and room for advancement. In my experience, talent and hard work are recognized and rewarded (again, department dependent), either through raises, promotions, spot awards, or "employee of the month" type awards. I've seen several people promoted from within (even to an executive level), so if you have the drive there is opportunity for you.

Cons

* Pay is lower than average. This may be just my type of position, but I am underpaid for market value. I walked away from an offer at another company offering 40% more, and have heard similar numbers from recruiters. It makes sense to a degree because it's in the suburbs and still being funded ("long-running" startup), but they do pay less than average for some positions (I hear the higher-up sales folks are doing well though)

* Location. For me, getting to Chelmsford is a pain, and my commute is around an hour. I wish they still had the Boston office. If you live in southern NH or northern mass, it's probably a great location.

* A few members of the executive team seem to serve little purpose and/or cause some problems with morale. I don't work under any of them, so my experience is mostly hearsay or gathered from how they behave in meetings. The CEO seems to have a special relationship with one exec who may or may not be making real contributions to the business. This employee keeps being put up for "exec of the year" type awards, but without employees understanding their role or value this is just alienating and morale-busting.

Pay some attention to the employee perception of execs or you risk alienating them. Attributing a department's work to them doesn't show value, find a way for them to show value themselves.

One of only two jobs I have actually loved in my career

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked here for a couple of years now, so I have some perspective on the company. We had a re-org and closed an office in Boston a couple of years ago, with the biggest hit coming to the sales team. The end result was a new sales model and a fresh team that is consistently winning, beating (aggressive) projected sales numbers throughout most of 2014.

Our engineering and support groups also saw some work in 2013, and have blown up 2014 with a product that is now a market leader in technology and versatility and a peerless record of support for our partners.

Intronis broke the per-gigabyte model in April 2014, introducing our U2 pricing plan that decouples storage from the pricing equation. We were first to market with this model, and it has been extremely successful.

How do I know all this? Because we have a small group with a great team feel, and management is remarkably transparent with the health and initiatives of the company.

OK, bullet-point pros:
    -Great corporate culture with regular company-wide recognition of employees who are going above and beyond, quarterly town-halls that keep EVERYONE in the company apprised of current numbers on sales and retention, financials and upcoming initiatives.
    -Flat organization: you don't have to climb through multiple layers of management to have your suggestions and concerns heard and addressed. Not every idea makes it to prime time, but you know your manager will hear it.
    -Investment in employees: Intronis has a good program for sponsoring professional training.
    -Casual, start-up feel to the office environment. This is not Initech.
    -Serious commitment to innovation and upgrades to our existing product and R&D on new products.
    -Tons of great "fun committee" events, from a pin-pong tournament to holiday celebrations.
    -Solid career advancement opportunities in all areas of the company. We prefer to promote from within due to the proprietary nature of the technology and market, if you step up you'll have a shot.

Cons

-Limited provisions for flex hours or work-from-home, definitely an environment where you are expected to be on site. Flip side is great work-life balance for most, you work when you're here and you're home when you're home.
    -Location: works for some, doesn't work for others. Great if you're in Metrowest/Northwest 'burbs or south New Hampshire. Other commutes can be challenging.
    -This is a company in accelerated growth mode: if you love coming to work and challenging yourself every day it's perfect. If you're looking to coast in a given role, you think "that's not my job" is an OK thing to say in the office or you need to be in a highly structured, matrixed environment Intronis will not work out for you.

Keep it up, it's working.

Fantastic people and work environment

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Forward-looking executive team
    - Great office atmosphere (friendly people, free snacks, games)
    - Strong product that is growing into a market leader
    - Great prospects for future business growth
    - Impressive benefits package. I'm not sure what everyone else was making but I was compensated very well and my benefits were fantastic.
    - The company covers the cost of your professional training/certification, a very nice perk

I realized I've been speaking so highly of Intronis to my personal friends since leaving the company that it would make sense to commit this to writing in a review. I was at Intronis for about 18 months on the sales and marketing side, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I came to Intronis from a truly terrible company and it was a major culture shock for me to be around a management team that actually delivered on its commitments and took care of its employees.

Things were bumpy for a while. The company transitioned to a new CEO and hired several new executives in my time there. There was also a sales layoff at the start and some hard decisions.

But things settled down as they made a GREAT hire in Rick Faulk. He's a culture-first CEO who commits to investing in the company's employees and product. He is very forthright and transparent with his plans to grow the company into the undisputed leader in its market, and I've seen him put his money where his mouth is by ramping engineering and development hires, being generous with employee compensation, and setting out a new vision for the company product.

It was rewarding to be in the trenches as the company revamped its sales and marketing approach, and Intronis has truly taken a 180 from when I started. The marketing is bold, the sales team is efficient, the product is progressive and no longer playing catch-up, and support is better than ever. It was a very hard decision for me to leave the company but it was the right decision for me.

At the end of the day, I'm proud of my time at Intronis and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to work with an inclusive, supportive team and learn a lot about an interesting and important technology.

Cons

- The location was rough on me as I lived about an hour away. If they had kept the Boston office I might still be working here.
    - Not a fan of the open office plan. Just not for me. I prefer a little more privacy.
    - Could do with a little more flexibility in terms of hours and remote work, although this is something I think most companies are still trying to figure out.
    - Some people had a much harder time with work/life balance than I did. I know a few people who seemed to work around the clock and I think the company could do a better job identifying, communicating with and supporting these people, who might not feel like their extra work is rewarded.

Keep making bold decisions, keep rewarding innovative ideas, and keep treating your employees right. Consider connecting more with each employee on work/life balance issues so everyone knows what the parameters are. And if it's at all possible, consider re-opening that Boston location. The location can be a big sticking point and it doesn't have to be.

Good company to work for

Former Contractor - Software Developer
    Former Contractor - Software Developer

I worked at Intronis as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging technology stack
    Reasonable work hours
    Very clear expectations - not too many surprises
    Solid business model

Cons

Not alot of room to advance in your career

Fake reviews are what Intronis is all about

I worked at Intronis

Pros

Not much to be found here! I dreaded going into work every day.

Cons

Working for Intronis was really terrible. You couldn't do anything right, and in managements ultra conservative eyes you were just an expense. You are worked like a slave and then beaten down. 50% of day to day activities revolve around politics. Customer issues are secondary to the management's ego. Want to get nailed in the eye by a nerf gun? This is the place to go! Managements hostility is usually magnified by alcohol, which is prominently displayed throughout the business and served when it hits "beer o' clock". The only fake reviews on here are the ones clearly written by sales.

quit

If the company kitchen and food is the most important thing to you---this is the place for you! If not, run!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Intronis full-time (less than a year)

Pros

* Lots of food and food-related events
    * Some great and smart people.
    * Decent product
    * Lots of food!
    * You can work hard and contribute a lot in this flat-organization
    * Did I mention the food?
    * Potentially a great starter environment

Cons

* No privacy (totally open environment)
    * A corporate culture dominated by the HR department and the kitchen
    * Employees are resources
    * Don't expect to make lasting relationships with many people
    * The management is not very enlightened; sort of old-school DEC
    * Apparently, the lunch & learn programs are mandatory
    * Don't pay very well, except for Sales (where you can potentially earn a lot)
    * Top-notch, high-level results are expected daily. Don't expect to earn points or kudos. Best you can do is break even.
    * Management isn't interested in your ideas. You are just there to implement their ideas
    * The product is not as good as they think it is (especially compared to competitors)
    * Some of the upper management isn't as smart as they think they are

After I was let go more than one recruiter told me they wish they could have warned me about the place.

Why offer advice when no one is interested in listening?

Stop filling Glassdoor with fake reviews.

Current Employee - Employee in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intronis is a good place to work if you've just graduated and live NW of Boston. It is a good resume padder. Free snacks. Pong pong table. Intronis has much potential to be a good company!!!!

Cons

Seems like no matter who they bring in at executive level, all end up being full of BS and unable to focus on making Intronis great. Rick, you are a smart man and have the right philosophy. Be daring!!!!!

Price per GB for back up will continue to dwindle. Focus on making the Portal the place that MSPs want to manage their data protection, add services that MSPs will want to sell via Intronis, and get rid of the useless executives who know nothing about disaster recovery and taking care of MSPs. Rick, you are a great executive, remove those that offer nothing to the benefit of Intronis, and replace them with ones who have knowledge of our biz. We will RULE!!!

Intronis is all that and a slice a bread!

I have been working at Intronis full-time

Pros

Small, team spirit, open minded, adventurous, hard working, supportive and soooo much fun! You work hard, play hard and if your a perpetual learner, this is the place! It's nice to get up in the morning and actually be excited to go to work, make a difference and have the opportunity to be creative and feel worthwhile! It's an open environment where ideas are valued and not scoffed at!

Cons

With everything, there are pros and cons....I'm sure I could find some if I racked my brain, but from what I've experienced, I can't say there is anything disturbing or flagrant to warrant a "con". Growing pains are a part of every company......but we're growing and that's good!

Take Account Executive position

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're looking for a job to break into the software industry or sales - Intronis is your place. They offer great training especially for sales - both internal training and offsite training. Great work environment - ping pong, treadmill desk, bubble hockey, and free snacks. The manager for the AE team is awesome! Company is doing well. CEO is really driving the product and most importantly company morale.

Cons

AE job in particular involves a lot of smiling and dialing. Processes for SFDC can be more streamlined. Database could be cleaner.

Great workplace and culture!

Current Employee - Senior Dev in Chelmsford, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Dev in Chelmsford, MA

I have been working at Intronis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

After working for 3yrs with Intronis, they adhere to a 'startup' culture, (free snacks, ping pong etc..), they are by no means a startup. The innovation is created and rewarded to every member of the company. The founders and executive team actually listens seriously to all reports and suggestions allowing for improvement and advancement.

I'd been promoted 2 times and i'm doing what I love for a living (coding). There is definitely room to advance within this company.

Management is flexible and and intelligent staff ready to assist and enable you to advance in your career.

Cons

Odd that a twenty word entry for con is required. If I had to give a con about Intronis, it'd be something like: "None that I can think of!!"

Keep up the good work!