Intuit

www.intuit.com

Intuit Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company(in 303 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company(in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation(in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street(in 42 reviews)

Intuit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Proswell managed,
    work life balance
    professional and intelligent people
    strives for excellence and improvement

Conslarge corporate structure
    constant lay offs - every 6 months
    as the company grows, less accountable to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage growth more effectively so lay offs happen less frequently.

Be Agile

ProsGreat people, realistic in their position in the market. Open to learning new things. On a growth path. Benefits are top notch.

ConsExtreme fast pace (depending on your department). Same as any company who is competitive (so really this isn't a con) - it can be exhausting. If you don't like change - then this is not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware of scope creeep -- the reductions over the past year i understand and know how difficult this was on you to make the decisions. However, in many instances the work didn't go away - it moved to someone else or was spread across the team.

Acquiring Companies good... Not having plan for integration/ solution for overlap of products for longer period of time

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsCompensation is good (Not excellent)
    Re-energizes staff after all hands meeting.
    Higher executive team have understanding and good messeage.

Cons- Information/control to next level management is lacking.
    - No definitve plan after acuisiions - how to integrate ... All departments work differently and go in different direction.
    - Middle tier management is not effective and doesn't have any clue what is happening. or have any control.
    - Too many re-org kills the spirit and hinders on plan set by previous manager.
    frequent Lay-offs creates fear in emplyees. do it once may once a year .. not multiple times or department by department.

Advice to Senior Management- Middle tier management needs to be smart and deliver.
    - Less re-org ... Otherwise message coming across the higher management cannot make up mind what is plan for whole year.
    - Frequent Lay-offs creates fear in employees. do it once may be once a year .. not multiple times or department by department.
    - If you have plan after Acquisition act on it and hold manager responsible for not acting on it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intuit has been and continues to be a really positive experience, i have learned a ton, and am continually challenged.

Director (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat benefits, comp is awesome, (a bonus even during a tough economic year was great;) I think Brad Smith is a smart, strong CEO who is unusually accessible to employees and direct, open and honest. I am continually asked to do new things, take on new projects, stretch, and grow. I am treated with respect. We are able to treat our employees with respect, even if their jobs have gone away. I am allowed to figure out my work schedule; people work really hard, some 24 X 7, but i feel autonomy on how i spend my time, as long as the outcome is successful. My leader is very supportive and does a good job at giving us feedback and doing performance reviews etc. I am proud to work here.

ConsWe need to be careful not to focus too much on framing and talking with ppt slides so we don't miss the innovative ideas that we really want to encourage. We need to take a tougher stand on performance issues. some people find it a comfy place to work and we want it to be a great place to work. where we are driving results and outcomes. we are so flexible at worklife balance, but please don't take advantage of that. the rest of us are working too hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think employees now understand that layoffs and reorgs are part of how every company does business. We need to continue to set open and honest expectations of business changes happens on an ongoing basis; the morale has been impacted by the recent layoffs. We need to make sure our top talent knows they are valued and that we can do things in small ways to communicate that. it doesn't have to be about money. We need to make sure and engage all of our employees on the changes we want to make and the company we want to be. The recent CEO listening tour is a great example of how Brad is driving engagement. We all need to be driving that.

Great Happenings at Intuit

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLaser focused on what they want to accomplish
    Great benefits
    Good work-life balance
    Well led
    Growing in a down economy

ConsFocus on difficult industries to consistently grow to show value to the street
    Old systems in some areas

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep communicating

Great Place for Smart and Committed People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Highland Hills, OH

ProsAuthentic leadership team, open doors, roll up your sleeves culture, opportunity for good work and great ideas to be recognized, straight communication, well performing teams in one of the toughest markets ever, strong support from Intuit in Ca.

ConsThe complainers soak up too much time and distract others (see the complaining engineer post!). Old school mindsets need to change. Engineering problems are not attributable to a single leader and engineers that don't escalate issues honestly are the ones to blame if things aren't getting done. Quit complaining about leadership and lead or leave!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive innovation, accountability and listen to employees. Don't let the engineers screw things up again. You've made the right decisions so keep your fingers on the pulse.

Change... the only thing that stays the same.

ProsThe intention of every employee is to make this a Great Place to Work.
    The Intuit system is designed to support the desired success we all pursue
    Feedback is a gift.... and everyday is Christmas! You know where you stand and what you can do to make a stronger contribution to the team.

ConsFolks who want 'sameness' in the daily/monthly/tyearly cycle of their work will find Intuit a challenging place to work.
    In the middle of some deeper than normal change patterns at this time... the waters are unusually choppy!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. We have changed direction a number of times in the past 5 years and we need to be more disciplined about executing our multi year strategy (beyond one year's worth of staying power).

Intuit is a great place to work, with big challenges ahead

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA

Prosemployees are treated wtih the utmost respect, management listens to all of their concerns (probably too much so, to be honest)

ConsManagement team is relatively non-technical, tends to apply generic business approach to problems that should be solved in a specific, software-related way; in order to maintain growth rates in coming years, we will have to get pretty far out of our comfort zone

Advice to Senior ManagementThe things that got us to greatness in the first twenty-five years are not the same things that will get us there in the next 25 years. Innovation is not something you talk about, it's something that happens.

Great place to work if you have a corporate job.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVery smart employees work here.

ConsJust the usual corporate politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving forward and work on innovating.

A company with the assets and positioning to be truly great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsOpoprtunity to work with people who share an admirable set of values and enjoy pushing themselves to improve and be the best they can be.
    Current feeling of urgency and excitement at intuit that we need to deliver some big wins to move away from our steady-state

ConsHeavy burden of reporting to senior management on product initiatives can slow the agility of teams.
    Some parts of intuit are overly bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing for big wins for the company - Be patient to see the big financial wins from global expansion.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!