Intuit

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith

Brad Smith

437 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, great company

Ios Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsIntuit treats it people very well. Great compensation, great working environment, and great teams of people.

ConsSome of the projects are less important, and tend to be in support mode.

Brad - are you happy with what Intuit is turning into?

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsGood competitive salary, Outstanding benefits & perks, Smart people, Great campus, Diverse people and businesses

Cons- a strategy is not durable if re-org happens 2-3 times a year and are needed to reflect a change in strategy
    - The most senior SBG management are dependent on relationships, politics and nonsensical PowerPoint slides. Why does this behavior now trump experience, fact based and customer-back logic and accountability?
     - Changing values by removing owning the outcome and it's the people to make room for being bold and passionate--- moving more to being a chaotic start-up including their unstable financials than you may want

Advice to Senior ManagementSuccessful change is hard but it is much harder without good leaders and worse with poor communication and ongoing indecision

Awesome company with great leaders!

Group Manager PMO (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat company that cares and invests in its employees - great benefits and lots of opportunities to learn and grow. Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company.

ConsReorgs - but this probably isn't much different from other companies but can be distracting at times. Very flat organization so it can be difficult to break into the Director level or higher.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intuit is a great company

Mountain View, CA

ProsOverall Intuit employee, leaders and policies have a high level of integrity. The company believes in innovative thinking and has policies in place that support teams to be creative and courageous. Most leaders are approachable and mentor minded, meaning they want to see their teams thrive and improve. They have excellent benefits and provide lots of opportunities for self-improvement and growth.

ConsThere are pocket of Intuit who are stuck in the 1980’s as far as top down management styles, which crushes innovation and creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest you get a first hand pulse on what's going on in some of the BU's. All are not created equal.

Great leaders, great products, great people

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat leaders, great products, great people. Strong values. People truly CARE about each other. Highly collaborative and supportive. Focus on customers.

ConsWants to act like a start up, but sometimes gets bogged down in the big company politics and red tape. Still struggling to find the right org structure to transition to the cloud.

Great

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsFun, Active environment. Great people to work with and a great place to start out

ConsNot many, Corporate programming is hard to get used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with your COOPS. Its hard for them to always know what to do.

Was a good company in the past, not living up to its reputation. No innovation.

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsA lot of very talented people who really believe they are making efforts to solve real-world problems.
    Benefits structure and pay are decent, not top though.

ConsToo much politics. Too many layoffs of people that were doing their jobs, and had to pay for poor management decisions.

Rewarding employee with stock options, then laying them off prior to vesting is a pretty underhanded unethical way to manage your technical staff. The current philosophy (as is many Silicon Valley Companies) is that people are replaceable, off-the-shelf.

The current management approach is "agree or get laid off" .. and that is not leadership, it is dictatorship .. and many managers can not tell the different.

Too many managers, not enough leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe increase in hiring of offshore management has changed the culture and impacted the flexibility within the company. This has changed to structure from "what you know" to "who you know" .. and will cause a loss of the rich talent pool that Intuit previously enjoyed to other companies.

The DevOps key phrase these days is "innovate or die", and it is clear that you no longer have the agility to make quick changes to keep the ship going in the desired direction when the weather changes.

No is a valid answer when you're asking something that is not possible, but you no longer seem to value employees that are willing to risk their jobs to produce good products.

Great company with superb leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsIntuit believes that happy employees lead to happy customers who will recommend products. Some of the fabulous employee perks include an annual holiday party, a yearly fitness incentive, and fun employee events. The business is run well, with a laser focus on business outcomes, which drives decisions about what work is necessary and what skills are needed to do that work.

ConsIntuit regularly performs layoffs, often targeting an entire role across the company, a department, or even an entire business unit. Severance payments are probably above average and they offer outplacement services. But I think the odds of being part of a layoff are quite high over a 5-year employment period.

Great culture, passionate employees

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsExtremely strong senior leadership. Is there a better CEO in the valley? We don't think so. Employees are very passionate about creating a great user experience. If you get hired here, you'll end up in passionate conversations everywhere, with everyone, about the user experience. It's not unusual to do a customer visit on your first day here. Cool stuff to work on everywhere you look. Even the projects that look boring end up having tremendous financial impact. Lots of things to do and experience. I could spend all my time participating in the learning opportunites, and never get my day job done.

XD is a growing strength here. We are a design-led company. Our customers are front and center with everything we do.

Employees have very strong social skills here. We expect people to be friendly and cooperative while still saying the difficult things that sometimes need to be said. Absolutely no tolerance for destructive or negative communication styles. If you are an &sshole and communicate negatively, or if you like grandstanding, your coworkers will see through you right away and you won't last long. Employees are also all expected to have leadership skills.

Managers are held to a very high standard. We have employee surveys every year, and managers take them very seriously. Managers that get poor survey results are expected to fix their problems. VP level leaders are in constant transition - either moving up the ladder or out of their jobs quickly.

ConsOpportunity overload: There is so much to work on here and so many opportunities, it can be exhausting. The opportunities are endless. And with an engineering group in India, there are lots of late night/early morning phone calls. Anytime of day or night, I can IM a coworker, because my team is spread across 6 time zones.

Reorgs: Intuit tends to reorg regularly, so it's not unusual to have a new boss every year. Managers go behind the screens to help to engineer reorgs. Groups get moved to organizations where they don't seem to belong based on this behind the scenes feedback. The impact of this is that you can end up in a group that has no idea what you do, then end up spending six months trying to get people to understand your role. It can be exhausting.

Title deflation: If you are director somewhere and you come to Intuit, you'll be hired as a manager or an individual contributor. If you are a prinicipal or an architect somewhere, at Intuit you'll just be a senior level. People tend to join us for the experience, then they leave and get huge titles elsewhere. You won't get a huge title by working here and if you do, just know that elsewhere, you'd be titled at the next level up. Typical example: Senior XD leaves here and becomes Director somewhere else.

Voice of employee surveys: It's great that Intuit values employee feedback, but it can be a tough place to be a manager. If you get bad employee survey results, you absolutely have to fix the underlying issues or you can get fired for it. No one wants bad survey results. If you are a leader thinking of joining us, you should pay attention to this. Do you want a regular report card from your employees? You'll get to read verbatims where they nitpick ever aspect of your performance (provided you have more than five employees). If you thrive on this kind of feedback, then you might be a fit for Intuit. On the other hand, if this kind of thing really eats a way at you, do yourself a favor and don't apply.

Intuit is a great company to work with providing professional technologies and services from the great engineers

Staff Software Engineer In QA (Current Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

ProsPeople respect to each other. Good benefit.People working here are mostly happy with the policies, environments.

ConsThe pay rate is not quite competitive

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!

Intuit Videos

Intuit – Why Work for Us?

If you're ready to create, innovate and be part of something big, then you've come to the right place. Our passion for innovation allows us to take risks and try new, ingenious ways to help our customers achieve their… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Intuit reviews and ratings in Mountain View, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Intuit CEO Brad Smith. All 437 reviews posted anonymously by Intuit employees.