Intuit Reviews

Reset
3.7
Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work/life balance is awesome in Intuit (in 327 reviews)

• Employee friendly company with great benefits to offer (in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much "work life balance" at times (in 51 reviews)

• You get the message from upper management that everything is going well; middle management does not take care of employees anymore (in 45 reviews)

1,811 Employee Reviews

1. Tax Support

Current Employee - Tax Support in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Tax Support in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Love the company. Love helping the tax payers.

Cons

There are no cons I see.

2. They try hard

Current Employee - Staff Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Business Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are almost all super nice and welcoming. Intuit attracts and hires some of the brightest employees, and for the most part everyone genuinely cares about each other. The company really tries to perform well while also keeping employees and customers happy. The products are fantastic and I have always been proud to work there.

Cons

Only the executives seem to make decisions. And the executives make the decisions based on a lot of input from their team and other teams. The downside is it takes a long time for decisions to be made. Plus as a non-executive I feel like I don't get to make decisions. At most I get to barely influence the decisions.

Advice to Management

Have a culture that supports autonomous and powerful employees. Intuit tries but it misses the mark.

3. Transformation journey

I have been working at Intuit full-time

Pros

On an aspiring pah to become a platform company, journey is very challenging but early signs shows progress.

Cons

Still very business unit and product centric, One Intuit mindset is difficult for some.

Advice to Management

Incorporate boundary-less and One Intuit goals into each leader's goals.

5. Great place to work / not a career

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This review is specifically for the TAM sales team in Plano, TX. Does not reflect my opinions about any other jobs within the company. Reliable income (they won't let you break the bank. But, they won't let you starve either). Great benefits (insurance, 401k, stock). Great people (actually liked all my co-workers and management is respectful/friendly/supportive all the way from Brad Smith down to the direct managers). Lot's of perks = cafeteria, work out room, game room (foosball, ping pong, xbox), good garage parking, frequent free breakfasts, lunches and happy hours). This is a great job for a younger person out of college or someone who has a spouse with a good paying job. They have a great employee stock program and a great matching 401K program. I've never seen a company with such good stock and 401K programs. Oh, and the health/dental/vision insurance is also the best I've ever seen. If you can afford it, you definitely should max out your 401k and employee stock purchase. It is literally free money. Also, when Intuit says they care about work/life balance, they really mean it and live it out.

Cons

Not a long-term place for a hard-charging, high performing sales person or someone with alot of career ambitions. I've seen some great sales reps leave for greener pastures. Almost zero opportunity to advance career (unless you want to move away from Dallas area). Part of the problem is that there are no new jobs created. Plano location sells a legacy tax software to a shrinking market (accounting firms) who rarely change their software (about 5% per year). In addition, because they make it such a great place to work, there is not much turnover. So, there are almost no job advancement opportunities. But, it's really hard to leave this place (decent income, great culture, great people, great benefits, etc). The customers are generally a pain. Of course there are some great customers too. But, mostly you are dealing with accountants = dry personality, don't know how to run their businesses, don't have good people skills and stingy. They will fight you for $100 on a $10,000 deal (makes sense though since their job is to save their clients every penny they can find). This describes mostly the older generation of accountants. The newer generation are much easier to deal with, as they understand the value of technology. Lastly... even though it is decent pay, leadership has figured out how to reduce our income, just about every year. As a team, we are getting paid about 10% less each year. A couple of us have really good territories. But, the others are struggling.

a company in transition

Former Employee - Software Architect in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Architect in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- good benefits - world-class customer empathy - excellent CEO - chance to work on widely-used products/services

Cons

- power struggles between the CTO organization and business units - a review process that depends more on politics and internal smoozing than actual results

Advice to Management

- hold the CTO organization more accountable for delivering results and solutions that business units can actually use - refine the acquisition process to filter out losers before the deal is struck - promote more technically competent leaders into GM ranks

7. Everything good but tech

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great company - Great people - Great pay - Work life balance is absolutely the best - Equipment is top of the line and just about anything you request (if non-standard) will be accomodated

Cons

- Technology sucks. QBO uses dojo -- a dead (or dying) JS library for building UI. Backend is written in Java and in the middle is node. The skills you learn are NOT going to be useful at other companies. - No diversity in engineering. Few women, few ethnicities (other than Indian), little thought diversity - Reliance on contractors - Total pay is very good due to bonus/stock grants but base could be better - Cafeteria's food is 50/50. 50% of the time it's good. 50% of the time it's terrible

Advice to Management

- Tech debt is real - Mind numbing qbo work is demotivating engineers

8. Great place to work!!!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Intuit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic company, culture, benefits are awesome! Extensive training and support available. Well oiled machine when On-boarding new employees. Company actually stands by its guiding principles including work life balance.

Cons

Should integrate companies acquired a little faster. It was close to 2 years before we were fully integrated with the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Seemed to close most offices on the east coast. There is a huge amount of top talent west of the Mississippi.

TurboTax Technical Support Intuit

I worked at Intuit full-time

Pros

The training was thorough and provided a great understanding of the job. The phone calls are repetitive and become easier to handle over time. Low stress work environment.

Cons

Difficult to advance some jobs are temporary and end with the tax season.

Advice to Management

Promotions should be based on merit as opposed to seniority.

10. top 10 on Fortune's best places to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intuit culture is comprised of good hearted people who are honest, friendly, team-oriented. Company benefits are more than competitive. CEO and founder both have that rare combination of sincerity, warmth, and integrity.

Cons

Consumer Ecosystems Group (where resides Mint.com) has too many changes of direction from management. This results in frequent layoffs.

Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at Intuit full-time

Pros

I am allowed to work from home.

Cons

All projects are on very aggressive schedules.

Advice to Management

Slow down or expect more downtime due to human errors.

Showing 1,811 of 1,928 reviews