Intuit

www.intuit.com

Intuit Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company(in 299 reviews)

• Employee friendly company with great benefits to offer(in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation(in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street(in 42 reviews)

Great company

Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsHigh integrity, respectful environment. Great beneifts, pay and worklife balance.

ConsValue of employee as key stakeholder has slipped in the past couple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees and care for them...they will do the right thing.

Good, but I wanted something more...

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPros
    * Total compensation package was good ( pay, stocks, 401k matching )
    * Beautiful campus and excellent food.
    * Amenities such as free food + beer on Fridays, free gym usage where other companies are charging employees ~$20 just to shower!
    * There is ton of diversity and some of the best people I've had a chance to work with.

Cons* How many people does it take? Definitely too many cooks in the kitchen for certain jobs.
    * Always looking out for # 1, Always? - Promoting oneself always seemed to be among the top in a priority list, even when promoting means lip service.
    * Becoming too cushy - I've heard it once referred to as a "country club", while the environment is ok and the amenities are top notch, the daily work is something to be undesired. I referred to it as " a nice play to retire from without the security " since the fear of losing ones job is more evident.
    * Agile methods - the use of agile methodologies are used poorly and our "scrum masters" merely follow the process verbatim without questioning it's usefulness. How useful is a 1 hour scrum every day for a small group where the same regurgitated info is mentioned three times out of the week? I don't understand the use of explaining what we're working on when we clearly have it entered in 2-3 other areas throughout a monthly sprint.
    * Meeting junkies - Meeting place for everything, I mean everything! If it involves more than 2 people, that's automatic meeting place instead of just going over and speaking to the person(s).

Advice to Senior Management* Whenever senior management did come down to San Diego to give us a peep talk about how the company is doing, it felt more like a cheer leading squad clamoring on about how great the company is doing and comparing "us" to other "software giants" like apple, and Google. While I understand this is more for morale than anything, the companies you are comparing Intuit too are in a completely different domain and business. Let's admire the accomplishes and see what we can learn and leverage, but let's not "try" to become the next Apple or Google, Concentrate on doing what your good at and expand. Social, mobile, OK fine, that's a great niche market but not generally something to get the whole company aroused about just because a Quicken app is up at the Apple store.

* CG is your biggest money maker that is loosing it's pie to smaller competitors like TaxAct. The current CEO slogan is "this isn't your grandma's Intuit". Well, during my time there I certainly felt like it was organized that way. One can only sugar coat a cover of Turbotax year after year, while having the same product underneath. Take more risks while you are ahead now, soon that gap will erode as your core business gets eaten away by smaller fish.
    Place more of your eggs in other baskets. Another interesting intuitism of "learn fast, fail fast", start practicing this instead of waiting for the next annual tax season or waiting for the Federal government to dictate how you should service them.

Reward high performers with opportunities to advance and grow their careers at Intuit.

ProsLeaders treat employees with respect and dignity even through challenging times.

ConsIntuit could be better at promoting internal mobility, and opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaders need to reward high performers, and hold employees more accountable for delivering results.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of change.

ProsSmart people
    Offices around the world for flexibility
    Try hard to live values

ConsCan be political and overly PC
    Still a lot of siloes
    Lots of change and not a lot of time to deal with it before the next change happens

Advice to Senior ManagementUse plain speaking and communicate often. Help employees learn to deal with the pace of change better and understand it makes it hard sometimes to stay positive.

Layoffs impacting Intuit's brand as best place to work

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosengagement of employees has been historically high

ConsLoosing it's steam as GPTW

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct skip levels and focus group session...act on learnings. Improve survey utilization process

Some things change, and some things do not

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsIntuit is still a good place to work compared to a lot of companies, they treat their employees with respect for the most part

ConsIntuit has had reductions in work force recently and many employees are a bit fearful of their jobs, even top performers have been let go

Advice to Senior ManagementCare a little bit more about your employees, I know it's a difficult market, and i know sometimes a shock to the system can be healthy, but we might be going too far.

It used to be a great place to work...

Senior Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Proslot of fantastic people are still there, doing an amazing job solving customer's problems.
    it seems like work/life balance is still important to management, which makes for a happier workforce
    The focus on customers is still there - mostly - in that there is still a lot of customer research, and a great UI team.
    Some of the new Intuit products are really useful, and are almost using new technologies

ConsThe biggest issue is a mismatch between what the business strategy is said to be, and what is actually happening in the company. Intuit quickly loses focus - they start a new project that is going to be the next big thing, then 6 months later they switch to something else without giving that project a chance to get off the ground. They also spread the resources too thin, instead of focusing on a few projects and really doing them well.
    There seems to be a movement in the small business division to stop people from working at home - which seems counterproductive. it will cause morale to plummet, and productivity too.
    Intuit is a company of meetings - as a manager, I had meetings all day, every day.
    Management seems to value specific technical skills the most, not the ability to learn and grow, and leadership that used to be the case. Those technical skills will quickly be out of date, and how do you know if those people will be able to learn?

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your strategy is actually being carried out - it doesn't do any good to have different groups fighting each other because they don't have the same vision of where the company is going. And stop making it impossible to complete a project by forcing so many technology decisions on it for business reasons - a team needs to have the flexibility to make its own decisions in order to be able to accomplish what they need to do.
    Get back the focus on the customer - everyone on the team should be involved and feel responsibility for solving for the customer. Consultants doing what they're told do not have this mindset.

Fun place to work, challenging and satisfying!

Senior User Interface Designer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBenefits, people, flex hours, causal dress, empowerment, innovation, unstructured time, brainstorm.

ConsSome BU's senior leaders are incompetent posers. Drag down the business with their short-term thinking that compromises the company's longer-term growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean some house in the level of management below the BU SVPs.

Was wonderful in the late 90's. Will be rough until they succeed in new markets.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosemployees generally treated with respect
    good benefits

Conspoor managers allowed to continue too long

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiding behind fashionable business language
    do something, now
    can't keep coasting on turbotax, quickbooks

Good place to work if you care about work/life balance and good pay package

Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood pay and benefits package
    Flexible work schedule
    work/life balance

Consnot innovative
    lots of politics
    so-so technical talent
    constant changes and many rounds of layoff in the past couple years

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some innovative people with great execution skills.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!