Intuit

www.intuit.com
  www.intuit.com

Intuit Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 327 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • Steep learning curve makes work-life balance hard to find when you're new (in 51 reviews)

• Middle management does not have a clue on overall long-term direction of support departments (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Human Resources in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

High integrity, respectful environment. Great beneifts, pay and worklife balance.

Cons

Value of employee as key stakeholder has slipped in the past couple years.

Trust employees and care for them...they will do the right thing.

Good, but I wanted something more...

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pros
    * Total compensation package was good ( pay, stocks, 401k matching )
    * Beautiful campus and excellent food.
    * Amenities such as free food + beer on Fridays, free gym usage where other companies are charging employees ~$20 just to shower!
    * There is ton of diversity and some of the best people I've had a chance to work with.

Cons

* How many people does it take? Definitely too many cooks in the kitchen for certain jobs.
    * Always looking out for # 1, Always? - Promoting oneself always seemed to be among the top in a priority list, even when promoting means lip service.
    * Becoming too cushy - I've heard it once referred to as a "country club", while the environment is ok and the amenities are top notch, the daily work is something to be undesired. I referred to it as " a nice play to retire from without the security " since the fear of losing ones job is more evident.
    * Agile methods - the use of agile methodologies are used poorly and our "scrum masters" merely follow the process verbatim without questioning it's usefulness. How useful is a 1 hour scrum every day for a small group where the same regurgitated info is mentioned three times out of the week? I don't understand the use of explaining what we're working on when we clearly have it entered in 2-3 other areas throughout a monthly sprint.
    * Meeting junkies - Meeting place for everything, I mean everything! If it involves more than 2 people, that's automatic meeting place instead of just going over and speaking to the person(s).

* Whenever senior management did come down to San Diego to give us a peep talk about how the company is doing, it felt more like a cheer leading squad clamoring on about how great the company is doing and comparing "us" to other "software giants" like apple, and Google. While I understand this is more for morale than anything, the companies you are comparing Intuit too are in a completely different domain and business. Let's admire the accomplishes and see what we can learn and leverage, but let's not "try" to become the next Apple or Google, Concentrate on doing what your good at and expand. Social, mobile, OK fine, that's a great niche market but not generally something to get the whole company aroused about just because a Quicken app is up at the Apple store.

* CG is your biggest money maker that is loosing it's pie to smaller competitors like TaxAct. The current CEO slogan is "this isn't your grandma's Intuit". Well, during my time there I certainly felt like it was organized that way. One can only sugar coat a cover of Turbotax year after year, while having the same product underneath. Take more risks while you are ahead now, soon that gap will erode as your core business gets eaten away by smaller fish.
    Place more of your eggs in other baskets. Another interesting intuitism of "learn fast, fail fast", start practicing this instead of waiting for the next annual tax season or waiting for the Federal government to dictate how you should service them.

Reward high performers with opportunities to advance and grow their careers at Intuit.

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Leaders treat employees with respect and dignity even through challenging times.

Cons

Intuit could be better at promoting internal mobility, and opportunities for advancement.

Leaders need to reward high performers, and hold employees more accountable for delivering results.

Lots of change.

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Smart people
    Offices around the world for flexibility
    Try hard to live values

Cons

Can be political and overly PC
    Still a lot of siloes
    Lots of change and not a lot of time to deal with it before the next change happens

Use plain speaking and communicate often. Help employees learn to deal with the pace of change better and understand it makes it hard sometimes to stay positive.

Layoffs impacting Intuit's brand as best place to work

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

engagement of employees has been historically high

Cons

Loosing it's steam as GPTW

Conduct skip levels and focus group session...act on learnings. Improve survey utilization process

Some things change, and some things do not

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Intuit is still a good place to work compared to a lot of companies, they treat their employees with respect for the most part

Cons

Intuit has had reductions in work force recently and many employees are a bit fearful of their jobs, even top performers have been let go

Care a little bit more about your employees, I know it's a difficult market, and i know sometimes a shock to the system can be healthy, but we might be going too far.

It used to be a great place to work...

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

lot of fantastic people are still there, doing an amazing job solving customer's problems.
    it seems like work/life balance is still important to management, which makes for a happier workforce
    The focus on customers is still there - mostly - in that there is still a lot of customer research, and a great UI team.
    Some of the new Intuit products are really useful, and are almost using new technologies

Cons

The biggest issue is a mismatch between what the business strategy is said to be, and what is actually happening in the company. Intuit quickly loses focus - they start a new project that is going to be the next big thing, then 6 months later they switch to something else without giving that project a chance to get off the ground. They also spread the resources too thin, instead of focusing on a few projects and really doing them well.
    There seems to be a movement in the small business division to stop people from working at home - which seems counterproductive. it will cause morale to plummet, and productivity too.
    Intuit is a company of meetings - as a manager, I had meetings all day, every day.
    Management seems to value specific technical skills the most, not the ability to learn and grow, and leadership that used to be the case. Those technical skills will quickly be out of date, and how do you know if those people will be able to learn?

Make sure your strategy is actually being carried out - it doesn't do any good to have different groups fighting each other because they don't have the same vision of where the company is going. And stop making it impossible to complete a project by forcing so many technology decisions on it for business reasons - a team needs to have the flexibility to make its own decisions in order to be able to accomplish what they need to do.
    Get back the focus on the customer - everyone on the team should be involved and feel responsibility for solving for the customer. Consultants doing what they're told do not have this mindset.

Fun place to work, challenging and satisfying!

Current Employee - Senior User Interface Designer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Interface Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Benefits, people, flex hours, causal dress, empowerment, innovation, unstructured time, brainstorm.

Cons

Some BU's senior leaders are incompetent posers. Drag down the business with their short-term thinking that compromises the company's longer-term growth.

Clean some house in the level of management below the BU SVPs.

Behavioral interviewing with specific criteria for answers

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

good benefits for frontline employees; opinions of frontline are extremely important

Cons

if you aren't frontline, you aren't asked; it is all about how you present information, not how good the inofrmation is

think about mid level managers as well as frontline

If you want to be a non-descript automaton in marketing, look no further

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Nice campus, good salary, if you work well in silos, love being a cog in a wheel this is your prime destination for employment. There is a vibe that Intuit is a cutting edge analytics and web presence company which will enable you to buffer your resume when you decide to move on. You will be able to engage in marketing campaigns that are rare to work with when at a smaller company with smaller budgets.

Cons

Politics, Silos and the underlying knowledge that there are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians employed at Intuit is the main reason for most people leaving the company. I was privileged enough to see senior managers who when speaking you could literally see the gears turning in their head on how to re-write the words coming out of their mouth to sound in a way that their manager would want to hear rather than speaking from the heart, passion, understanding of the marketplace and how best to deliver the product to the consumer. Somewhere along the company system most managers have drank the Kool-Aid and lost their imagination and edge on how best to market products.

Senior managers do not get challenged enough by their peers on their marketing plans and brand positions. Simple case in point - An executive once stated that "Trials don't Work" and then all trials for the QB product lines were dropped - rather than making the trial product easier to use.

Intuit is full of good people that somewhere along the line lost their imagination and desire to do new things and push the envelope.

Rather than innovate, they simply buy companies that do

Management culture has to change if you can't innovate, if you can't inspire, mentor or be profitable you should be removed from your position. Reduce middle managers as they simply are head count that is in the way between the workers and the people who need to hear what is going on.
    Education should not be a determinate on your promotion - there are too many managers who got to their position by schooling, not by talent or experience.