Intuit Reviews

Reset
3.7
Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work/life balance is awesome in Intuit (in 327 reviews)

• Employee friendly company with great benefits to offer (in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much "work life balance" at times (in 51 reviews)

• You get the message from upper management that everything is going well; middle management does not take care of employees anymore (in 45 reviews)

1,815 Employee Reviews

"integrity without compromise" HA!

Current Employee - Tech Support in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

As with all jobs I've held , each employer seems to be better than the last. Intuit has great benefits and can honestly say the caliber of people they attract are top notch. I have no doubt that the friends I have made at intuit will be people that I will stay in contact with regardless. The atmosphere is balanced between "all hands on deck , we have customers in que and service levels are lagging" to "don't forget that this is Wing Ding Friday and get your free food and allotment of 2 beers from the kegger on the patio". C'mon---when was the last time your performance coach told you to clock out and get your beer that you had coming to you? In that respect Intuit was almost surreal.

Cons

Outsourcing. They canned all of Mid-Market (Enterprise Support) Point of Sale and a good chunk of payroll folks. They are pushing for a "web-first" support model. Translation: Thanks for your money dear customer--the answer to your question is out there on some nebulous website. Oh , and by the way , we now charge $79/month to speak to someone in Bangalore instead of $49/month to speak to an american if you can't find your own answer. They were instructing us to take people to the web to "teach them how to fish so we'd be freed up to take the important calls". Umm ,no. They turned around and said that due to a drop in the INCOMING calls we were overstaffed. What wasn't stated is that the amount of web-based callback requests was offsetting the drop in the incoming calls. Also , in the last year and a half there was no reduction in call volume to where there was any "VTO" -voluntary time off. This is where the performance coaches would see idle agents and ask people to go home if they had accumulated vacation time before they would send people home without pay on a short shift. All off-phone activities were routinely cancelled--no team meetings , 1:1 coaching sessions , agent development time etc due to the call volume being high. Then when they announced the layoffs they tried to make it sound like the 60 days notice they were giving us was out of the kindness of their hearts. Ummm, no ,If you layoff more than so many people at a whack and remain in business the 60 day notice is required by law . They have no loyalty to the american worker. They tried to outsource the High end tax program Lacerte back in 2005 and had to yank it back to the US as those customers had clout at $10,000 a pop.

Advice to Management

If outsourcing continues who is going to need your tax program in any great numbers? We can all get a 1 page 1040EZ form from the post office and use a pocket calculator. Who needs $1500 Point of Sale software? The middle class shoppers are all gone and my business needs have regressed back to a $200 4 dept casio cash register I can get at Sams Club.

2. Not really a great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

The benefits and the work life balance that is offered at Intuit is good. The people who work there are awesome.

Cons

Total lack of opportunities for movement up into leadership positions. Even when this is communicated to your boss they don't help develop you or give you a path to career improvement. While it is on the employee to do so they do nothing to facilitate the process to develop leaders from within. Recognition is virtually non existant. Despite programs to recognize people for the tasks that go above normal responsibilities they are rarely used. It usually requires the employee to say something to their manager to remind them of the accomplised task before they are recognized, something they shouldn't have to do.

Advice to Management

Start promoting more from within. Intuit has a terrible habit of not promoting qualified individuals from within. I have seen this for many years at Intuit. I have seen very few talented and qualified individuals offered opportunities. Intuit has always looked outside for promotions.

3. Intuit is great, but it all depends on your workgroup.. some good... some are a nightmare

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

There are very good people working at Intuit. Many have a great attitude and really want to be the best they can be. The compensation and benefits are fair and quite competitive. This applies to the two sites I am most familiar with: San Diego and Mountain View. Employees at all levels are exposed to lots of great ideas like customer driven innovation and the leadership model (i.e. "What's Important, How are we Doing, Priorities to Improve" Lots of great stuff that will help you be more competitive in your next job. As far the work environment, the new San Diego campus is one of the best in the industry and truly resembles the workplace of the future. incredible food in the cafe, great workout facility, and just a beautiful place, inside and out. It's hard to walk outside in a sunny day and not have a big smile on your face, looking at 40-foot Palm trees that are perfectly manicured.

Cons

Leadership, Leadership, Leadership... Almost every 24 months, it seems that Intuit will do a full "oil change" of the entire leadership team. I have seen this happen in the Consumer Tax Group (CTG), Intuit IT (IIT). What this means is that VPs, Directors and even a few CIOs are replaced by a new leadership team... In my opinion, this hurts the organizations (employees, customers and shareholders)... new leaders spend the next 6 months learning about what has been happening and then begin to put their "fingerprint" on their department. By the time a new "strategy" is in place, the rumors begin... the leader starts to lose credibility, and then one day, he or she is gone, with the usual email that starts with "It is with mixed emotion that so-and so is leaving Intuit to pursue X." Then the cycle begins again. This time we are "assured" that we got it right and hired the right leaders... Then we read the new announcement and begin to wonder if this person knows what they just signed-up for. The honeymoon lasts 3-6 months before the new leader realizes the situation. It is disappointing to observe this at such a great company that believes "Integrity without compromise" is the # 1 value. Yet somehow, the senior leaders never appear to be accountable for hiring so many "bad managers." This is where the logic begins to breakdown for me. If the leaders we are firing are truly "bad managers," then we don't know how to hire great leaders ( a big gap!). If they are really not bad managers, then we have a problem with retaining good talent and don't quite know how to deal with people who are "different" than us. Either way, the CEO and SVPs need to take more ownership of this, rather than blame the outgoing leader... Again, for me, this is an issue if integrity... at best it shows a lack of competence and maturity of our most senior leaders.

Advice to Management

Don't believe everything you hear from the "official sources" This means HR folks, your direct reports, and other "thought leaders." Most, if not all of the time, they are operating from an agenda and trying to protect their own interests. Which does not always mean they are the same interests of the corporation. Spend time with front line and listen to what they have to say... They really are not as naive as many think they are. Just because we look like we can be fooled by fancy slides and new buzz-words and rhetoric, it does not mean that we are. I am disappointed that we are starting to lay people off. Not sure if this is the last round or the beginning of an annual process. I understand that we are a for-profit company, but I still think if we really valued the people, we would have found other ways to transform, rather than putting our colleagues on the street in a dark time in the economy. We should stop the annual employee survey... It has lost it's meaning and relevance.

Unpleasant experiance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

A respectable place. Will look good on resume. The learning curve is pretty steep.

Cons

The compensation sucks, pay raises are extremely low, feels like an insult. There is a lot of corporate bs. There are so many meetings about improving and changing that there is not enough time to do the actual job. Feels like the company is agonizing and panicking. The job stability is very low. There were several rounds of layoffs a couple om months ago. Feels like the company is agonizing and panicking. Intuit acquired StepUp a year and a half ago and all their employees but one already left Intuit. That says a lot...

Advice to Management

Respect the employees more and don't treat them like an army of faceless and sole less workers

A Great Place to Work (tm) - If you are management level.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Management level employees have great benefits and incentives. Group medical benefits are among the best in the industry. Stock purchase plan gives decent investment opportunity.

Cons

If you aren't a salaried employee, advancement opportunities extremely limited. Any concerns voiced to manager will only result in a bad employee review. Continued outsourcing of product development and support positions - in past two years, four departments at this location have either been outright eliminated or relocated to either the Philippines or India, causing a reduction of over 70 people, some with zero notice. Opportunity for desirable projects is based on who you're buddies with other than who is qualified.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring Intuit's Operating Values.

This is what real Intuit employees want the public to know about this company.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

The salary and benefits are competitive.

Cons

There is a definitive divide between good managers (not great) and lowsy managers. The ignorance and incompetance level from where I sit is 80/20. 20 being the minority of managers that actually know what is going on in the world. It's really sad. It makes working here difficult on employee morale, productivity, and inexplainable when I have to go home to tell my family how my day went or worse shuffle excuses to the customers. The worst part is that the employees are not being heard. All that press about best place to work is a bunch of nonsense. Voice of Employee more nonsense. TPS is garbage busting at the seams. Public view of the companies difficiencies are now on Glassdoor becasue of it. Most of the posts I have seen here are valid. But hey what do I know I'm just an employee not a manager. Gamble your money if you want to.

Advice to Management

Sell Avon to monkeys. You might actually be good with a "focus" and do something amazing.

Not really a great place to work.

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Good money. Smart and friendly people.

Cons

They lay off a lot, even when they're doing very well in the industry and your doing great work. The upper management treats their people like numbers while trying to woo them with fancy internal marketing efforts to make them feel special. It doesn't work anymore.

Advice to Management

It used to be the people. Now it's just the dollar signs. That's not going to work for long before the people loose their loyalty.

Intuit is NOT a great place to Work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

It used to a good company to solve for 3 stakeholders, but not anymore.

Cons

Poor managers and lack of execution. Example: No one on one, not even once in a team meeting top down cascading information has been provided. Team meetings were cancelled for no reasons regularly. No written performance goal were given at the beginning of the year. No Mid-year performance review was given. Useless manager and management, takes decision by looking at some powerpoint rather getting on the ground floor to see the truth. Manager don't believe you and there are lot more reasons....

Advice to Management

Remove all your managers - they all suck. 70% of people who are working now are eager to switch to a different company once the economy picks up.

10. Contradiction between how Intuits wants to be percieved and how they behave.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Intuit did a good job of creating a relaxed environment for the employees....good benefits and comfortable workspaces for the most part.

Cons

A few years ago Intuit bought alot of companies and most of the purchases were horrid decisions. MyCoporation.Com comes to mind. Because of these purchases and the revolving door in leadership the brunt of the fixes offered by the new management fell on the employees and still does according to my cronies that still work there. Thier middle management is horrid, not understanding how to manage remote employees and the constant influx of them hiring their buddies makes it pretty much not worth trying. If Intuit would look at all the people they have paid a hiring reward to and see where they placed the employees....they would get a clue. It was fun to watch hiring managers get referral bonuses to fill positions with their friends. I remember one whole development team in the woodland hills campus that was from the same group of friends.

Advice to Management

Actually hire and strategically place leaders in each of your campuses so that there can be an effective growth and maturity in the organization. The product is good.....the adult supervision lacks.

11. It a no more a Best Place to Work. It use to be a golden period for Intuit when Steve Bennett was CEO of the company.

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

1) The core values of the company are so good ( one of them is employees)

Cons

1) New CEO , CIO thinks that employees are commodities. 2) CIO always compares Intuit IT expenditure with other companies. I'm not sure where she is getting this crazy idea of comparing Apples with Oranges (Intuit with Symantec). 3) These So called Sr. leaders wants to take every thing to INDIA (Offshore). Why the hell they need to keep the company here? Why not they move the entire company to INDIA? 4) When our President Obama is trying to keep the jobs on-shore and make the economy better, this crazy CEO & CIO wants take every thing (all the jobs) to INDIA (except the buildings).

Advice to Management

1) Intuit Stakeholder --- Please think, if this Sr,leadership continued, they may leave only Debris to collect. 2) Employees are Core strength of the company. If cream of the team is gone (already 55% left), there is nothing to rebuild.

Showing 1,815 of 1,940 reviews