Intuit

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.7 1,460 reviews

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith

Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company(in 299 reviews)

• Employee friendly company with great benefits to offer(in 129 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation(in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street(in 42 reviews)

1,460 Employee Reviews

Intuit is awesome

Customer Service and Support Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington Heights, IL

ProsThis is a company that positions you for success, they are selective about having the right people but they continue to develop your skill set and add to it, great environment for developement

ConsSome departments aren't nearly as organized as other and often times seem evasive or under trained

Great!!

ProsGreat Values, culture, compensation. You are constantly encouraged to innovate

ConsSeriously cant think of any.

Great people, focus on innovation and productivity

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsIntuit is a great place to work. The people are their biggest assets. When I joined right out of college I found the senior engineers to be very helpful in making sure I could learn the ropes fast. Lots of focus on innovation, failing fast, hypothesis based testing. Great benefits as well.

ConsAll the focus on failing fast and lean start up sometimes does not work well because then you dont give ideas incubation time. There have been many times when great ideas get shot down before testing them out more comprehensively. Also some terrible acquisition decisions in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue hiring the great people you hire and the innovation focused development. More focus on what the company's goal is and make acquisition decisions accordingly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would happily work for them again

Development and Support Specialist (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsEngaging, helpful co-workers, strong team enviroment,

ConsFrequent reorganizations, massive reduction in employee bonuses, spotlights and other perks.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your front line agents as they are the ones truly in touch with the customers.

Amazing Company... I love this place

ProsEnvironment, Atmosphere, Pay, Benefits, Perks, CEO leadership.

ConsWork in non revenue generating line of business can result in staff shortages as they strive to keep costs down. Work from home is said to be supported, but many managers seem resentful of people working from home and outcome seems to come with increased risk of being caught in a RIF.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees in cost centers the same as you do those employees in revenue generating lines of business.

Amazing Place To Work

Product Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGood Environment, Good People, Opportunities for Growth. Great Facilities. Constant ability to work on exiting and new projects. Really impressed with he caliber of many of the people here. Really smart and driven for the most part.

ConsCan be a big company with all of the burdens that come with that. Things do not always happen as fast as they like and some of the old software is less exciting.

Disappointing

Product Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsLocation and culture. Its still a very employee oriented company and there are lots of opportunities to learn and innovate. Unstructured time is a great benefit. Access to customers and flexibility in work hours is also a great perk.

ConsOnly a few good leaders left. Product Managers are powerpoint pushers and not visionaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the middle managers. They are ruining the company!

Awesome place to work!

Senior Software QA (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHighly collaborative environment where you work with smart and talented people as part of small cross-functional teams using iterative design and rapid experimentation. High emphasis on lean startup techniques and agile development. Leadership encourages and provides opprtunites for training and career development. Lots of perks, i enjoy too much the work i do that i don't even take advantage of the basketball and volleyball courts, Gym, on site cafeteria, great work life balance...

ConsFrequent organization changes, but unfortunately this is needed to stay competitive and no free lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees to succeed and make time for training and career development. Work with employees on expectations about their career path and what it takes for promotion.

IDC development centre a political nightmare

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Proseasy work life because there is no real work.. its all obsolete desktop work

ConsPeople get fired for no reason, no appraisal feedback of any kind is given and people just get told that you are outstanding but now you are fired. Key leaders have left the organization now and only those of a specific community aligned to the local VP are here.. overall not a good place anymore

Advice to Senior Managementfire the leadership team at IDC and get a new one in... Believe in your own culture that you talk of and walk that talk first..

Great place to visit, but you don't want to stay there...

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Great as your first job out of university - everything there is taught (how to lead, how to innovate, etc.)
    - Great set of company values
    - Founder still there, he has a huge influence on the company and he's fantastic, if you can work with him - great
    - Good pay
    - Great for work life balance , since it's mostly in the US, the hours are humane (rarely does a meeting start before 8AM or end after 5PM)
    - Gym onsite
    - free fruit, lattes, and other amenities

Cons- Not so great if :
       - You have experience from elsewhere - it's not valued at all, so keep yourself quiet about where you worked before
       - You are technical and value technical leadership, these are few and far between at Intuit. Most Sr. leadership is from marketing, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's a SaaS company now that doesn't think knowing about technology is important.
        - You have your own thoughts and ideas -- they are NOT welcome here. Everything has been codified already before you get there. So if you read about some interesting model from somewhere outside the company - keep it to yourself. Everything you need to succeed, down to the words that you are expected to use, has already been defined and you MUST stick to the script (BTW the script changes frequently, so keep a list of words that are 'IN' and words that are 'OUT')
    - There are layoffs every year. Not sure if all companies do that, but in July-ish of every year, there are big layoffs. It's been said if you aren't sure who will be laid off this year, it's probably you
    - Constant re-organizations, usually every July-ish. Things like putting all of small business (payments, payroll, demand force, Quickbooks,etc) together, then taking them apart again; centralizing customer care, then putting it back in the business units
    - not so great if you can't conform all the time - as I mentioned, every slide format, every word you use is scripted from the myriad of models that already exist in the company - to survive you have to 'Be Yourself - The Intuit Way' (yep, it's an oxymoron, but that is the best way I've come to describe it)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real technical leadership in all areas, allow employees to speak in a manner they are accustomed to, which may not be the 'Intuit Jargon-of-the-Day'. Actually be innovative don't just talk about it everywhere.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!