Intuit

www.intuit.com

Intuit Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 303 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Intuit is NOT a great place to work, especially the last few years!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsWork/Life balance
    Team work
    Great benefit
    Great Product

ConsConstant re-org after re-org
    Heavy managment layers and not enough people doing the actual work
    Heavy politics and CYA
    Buddy/Buddy system to survive the layoffs (other employees can attest to this)
    Can't openly discuss problems without backlash!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get rid of ALOT of managers in the middle layers.
    While i was there one of the managers told his group "work everyday like its your LAST day!!!" (really sad??)

Where's the growth?

ProsPay is very competitive and the work environment is one of balance. Our CEO is very transparent with where we're going, what we've done well and what we need to improve. We do try and balance needs of employees, customers and shareholders. We have a great place to work from our quality facilities, to our social activities.

ConsLack of career advancement opportunities. Company hires highly skilled middle management leaders but has no opportunities for vertical advancement...everything is lateral. Also, I think it could use a more seasoned executive team capable of driving more growth. Many of the VP and Directors here would be a rung lower in other businesses. Culture has a not invented here mentality but hopefully the latest couple of acquisitions will liven things up from a group who has gotten stale. Our innovation is often yesterday's news to others. As an example, we're scrambling to expand the outsource game at a time others are realizing it's not everything it's cracked up to be. Penny wise. Dollar foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would like to cut cost to reinvest in growth. Take a look at the number and cost of all your directors and VP's. We've added a ton of these over the past number of years and I imagine pay them dearly for what they've delivered...substandard growth to employees, shareholders and customers.

The Small Business Organization will be the end of Intuit if they don't change their ways

Marketing (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsBenefits are still great.

If you get laid-off, you can always look forward to coming back as a contractor and have less responsibility and more pay.

ConsWay too many politics that are driving business decisions - seem like it's gotten worse over the last couple of yearts. It's awful in SBG land.

Not one Intuit - but many greedy silo's all competing for the same resources.

Too much talking from leadership and no enough action.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management really needs to take a step back and stop the madness in SBG. Politics and greed are running the business decisions! There is no prioritization across the segments. Every segment wantsâ?? their product/service to be prioritized. There needs to be a strategy across all segments, not a strategy per segment. Hiring more people or laying off is not helping. It's the strategy and the behavior that is hurting us. The functional teams that have to execute across all segments are the ones hurting with all this nonsense. It doesnâ??t makes sense, and leadership is not re-enforcing, only ideas from the top are valued, so why bother caring! Thatâ??s the attitude right now. Just execute. Donâ??t think or try to make it better. In addition, we just keep acquiring and there is no integration of systems which is another huge pain point. Data sucks, tracking is not standardized. Too many self-service tools that are not intuitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intuit is a good place to work

ProsI think they really care about the people - not perfect but trying
    I like the idea jams
    Like it when they ask for employees ideas
    Like the contest they run to support small businesses

Consstarting to see constant changes

Advice to Senior Managementbe careful how many times we reorg - you can't gain any traction when you are constantly changing

Great place to work

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Communication and vision is clear. Benefits are outstanding at head quarters and pay was above market

ConsA lot of back stabbing among upper managers. Departments rewarded for meeting departmental goals even if not in the best interest of company

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive consistant goals down to department level.

Change is good, except when...

Group Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFor the most part, REALLY smart people. A CEO who "gets" strategy and is open to other people's opinions. A strong focus on customers added to the strengths resulting from a data-driven culture (at least through 2008) made it a place where you could be proud of the work you did.

ConsIn 2008, Intuit acquired a small unprofitable company whose CEO happened to be the golden child of Intuit's Chairman. While this acquisition only affected the Mountain View headquarters (Intuit's Small Business Division), it had a dramatic impact on the culture. The environment rapidly shifted from a focus on rational and data-driven decision making to an environment where self-serving opinions, politics and strong-arming of employees became the norm. This shift is mainly attributable to that small company's CEO being "integrated" into Intuit's ranks despite his open contempt for Intuit's ways.

Intuit's culture needed to change. But changing a culture to adapt to a new reality doesn't mean you need to violate the company's core values such as "it's the people", "integrity without compromise" or "think smart, move fast." Unfortunately, these values are now being trampled on a daily basis.

Today, a much larger number of employees is looking to leave. Screaming in meetings is apparently no longer frowned upon and employees driven to tears is becoming habitual.

Advice to Senior ManagementDare to call out people who are not living Intuit's values -- unless your intent is in fact to trample them, which I doubt.
    Continue your journey of change -- but not at the expense of what made Intuit the successful and growing company it had become over the past 20+ years.
    Be strong. Do not let politics and personal agendas change the course of the company. Nobody will win in the end.

You own your own career.... both a good and difficult thing to navigate...

Human Resources Individual Contributor (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCompetent leadership.
    Smart employees (some of the best talent in the bay)
    Increasing speed in dev and work cycles. They are working on reducing meeting load.
    Social and work life balance atmosphere...get called out if your working too much...work smart not long hours.

ConsCommunication and transparency could be a bit better.
    Meeting loads in HR are ridiculous right now. (80% meetings)
    Lots of change, lots or organization and re-organization
    Hiring new talent then letting them go 6-12 months later? Bad planning!
    Growing pains, switching from desktop to web to mobile

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear communication
    It's the people! Focus on making your employees happy (if they have the right skill sets for a mobile, social, global company) and invest in them heavily!

Best place I've ever worked

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIntuit does a great job of caring for its people and treating them with dignity and respect. When there are layoffs or people are not a great fit, they treat them in a way that is much better than other companies typically do. They invest a bunch in leadership development. They encourage people to give back to the community through allowing all employees 32 hours of paid time to serve in volunteer capacity.

ConsSome times priorities can swing too much in one direction and forget to retain old best practices. 401K match seems low.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on serving customers well and being a company that employees and customers love.

intuit is a good place to work

Rotational Development Associate (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosgreat work life balance, free to work on new and interesting projects

Conshard to advance here as a new hire

Advice to Senior Managementneed to think about how you are going to retain new talent

Intuit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

Proswell managed,
    work life balance
    professional and intelligent people
    strives for excellence and improvement

Conslarge corporate structure
    constant lay offs - every 6 months
    as the company grows, less accountable to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage growth more effectively so lay offs happen less frequently.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!