Intuit Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 303 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

intuit is a good place to work

Current Employee - Rotational Development Associate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Rotational Development Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

great work life balance, free to work on new and interesting projects

Cons

hard to advance here as a new hire

need to think about how you are going to retain new talent

Change is good, except when...

Former Employee - Group Marketing Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Group Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

For the most part, REALLY smart people. A CEO who "gets" strategy and is open to other people's opinions. A strong focus on customers added to the strengths resulting from a data-driven culture (at least through 2008) made it a place where you could be proud of the work you did.

Cons

In 2008, Intuit acquired a small unprofitable company whose CEO happened to be the golden child of Intuit's Chairman. While this acquisition only affected the Mountain View headquarters (Intuit's Small Business Division), it had a dramatic impact on the culture. The environment rapidly shifted from a focus on rational and data-driven decision making to an environment where self-serving opinions, politics and strong-arming of employees became the norm. This shift is mainly attributable to that small company's CEO being "integrated" into Intuit's ranks despite his open contempt for Intuit's ways.

Intuit's culture needed to change. But changing a culture to adapt to a new reality doesn't mean you need to violate the company's core values such as "it's the people", "integrity without compromise" or "think smart, move fast." Unfortunately, these values are now being trampled on a daily basis.

Today, a much larger number of employees is looking to leave. Screaming in meetings is apparently no longer frowned upon and employees driven to tears is becoming habitual.

Dare to call out people who are not living Intuit's values -- unless your intent is in fact to trample them, which I doubt.
    Continue your journey of change -- but not at the expense of what made Intuit the successful and growing company it had become over the past 20+ years.
    Be strong. Do not let politics and personal agendas change the course of the company. Nobody will win in the end.

You own your own career.... both a good and difficult thing to navigate...

Current Employee - Human Resources Individual Contributor  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Individual Contributor in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Competent leadership.
    Smart employees (some of the best talent in the bay)
    Increasing speed in dev and work cycles. They are working on reducing meeting load.
    Social and work life balance atmosphere...get called out if your working too much...work smart not long hours.

Cons

Communication and transparency could be a bit better.
    Meeting loads in HR are ridiculous right now. (80% meetings)
    Lots of change, lots or organization and re-organization
    Hiring new talent then letting them go 6-12 months later? Bad planning!
    Growing pains, switching from desktop to web to mobile

Set clear communication
    It's the people! Focus on making your employees happy (if they have the right skill sets for a mobile, social, global company) and invest in them heavily!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Acquiring Companies good... Not having plan for integration/ solution for overlap of products for longer period of time

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Compensation is good (Not excellent)
    Re-energizes staff after all hands meeting.
    Higher executive team have understanding and good messeage.

Cons

- Information/control to next level management is lacking.
    - No definitve plan after acuisiions - how to integrate ... All departments work differently and go in different direction.
    - Middle tier management is not effective and doesn't have any clue what is happening. or have any control.
    - Too many re-org kills the spirit and hinders on plan set by previous manager.
    frequent Lay-offs creates fear in emplyees. do it once may once a year .. not multiple times or department by department.

- Middle tier management needs to be smart and deliver.
    - Less re-org ... Otherwise message coming across the higher management cannot make up mind what is plan for whole year.
    - Frequent Lay-offs creates fear in employees. do it once may be once a year .. not multiple times or department by department.
    - If you have plan after Acquisition act on it and hold manager responsible for not acting on it.

Intuit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Intuit

Pros

well managed,
    work life balance
    professional and intelligent people
    strives for excellence and improvement

Cons

large corporate structure
    constant lay offs - every 6 months
    as the company grows, less accountable to employees.

Manage growth more effectively so lay offs happen less frequently.

Be Agile

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Great people, realistic in their position in the market. Open to learning new things. On a growth path. Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Extreme fast pace (depending on your department). Same as any company who is competitive (so really this isn't a con) - it can be exhausting. If you don't like change - then this is not the company for you.

Be aware of scope creeep -- the reductions over the past year i understand and know how difficult this was on you to make the decisions. However, in many instances the work didn't go away - it moved to someone else or was spread across the team.

Great Happenings at Intuit

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Laser focused on what they want to accomplish
    Great benefits
    Good work-life balance
    Well led
    Growing in a down economy

Cons

Focus on difficult industries to consistently grow to show value to the street
    Old systems in some areas

Keep communicating

Intuit has been and continues to be a really positive experience, i have learned a ton, and am continually challenged.

Current Employee - Director  in  Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Great benefits, comp is awesome, (a bonus even during a tough economic year was great;) I think Brad Smith is a smart, strong CEO who is unusually accessible to employees and direct, open and honest. I am continually asked to do new things, take on new projects, stretch, and grow. I am treated with respect. We are able to treat our employees with respect, even if their jobs have gone away. I am allowed to figure out my work schedule; people work really hard, some 24 X 7, but i feel autonomy on how i spend my time, as long as the outcome is successful. My leader is very supportive and does a good job at giving us feedback and doing performance reviews etc. I am proud to work here.

Cons

We need to be careful not to focus too much on framing and talking with ppt slides so we don't miss the innovative ideas that we really want to encourage. We need to take a tougher stand on performance issues. some people find it a comfy place to work and we want it to be a great place to work. where we are driving results and outcomes. we are so flexible at worklife balance, but please don't take advantage of that. the rest of us are working too hard.

I think employees now understand that layoffs and reorgs are part of how every company does business. We need to continue to set open and honest expectations of business changes happens on an ongoing basis; the morale has been impacted by the recent layoffs. We need to make sure our top talent knows they are valued and that we can do things in small ways to communicate that. it doesn't have to be about money. We need to make sure and engage all of our employees on the changes we want to make and the company we want to be. The recent CEO listening tour is a great example of how Brad is driving engagement. We all need to be driving that.

Intuit is a Great Place to Work if you are willing to work hard.

Current Employee - Group Manager  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

Opportunity is there is you are committed and willing to work hard. The expectations are very high and it is not a place of employment for everyoen, but if you are somewhat entrepreneurial and have a great work ethic, you can succeed.

Cons

Expectations are very high and you can expect to work much more than a 40 hour work week if you plan to progress. Employment at Intuit does require being aware of what goes on in the industry....on your own time.

Slow down! Every new leader has brought their own things to the table and has caused a great deal of rapid change, most often without getting together with those that you need to make it all happen. I love it here and love moving fast, but this is a bit too fast for Intuit's own good sometimes.

Intuit is a great place to work, with big challenges ahead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Intuit

Pros

employees are treated wtih the utmost respect, management listens to all of their concerns (probably too much so, to be honest)

Cons

Management team is relatively non-technical, tends to apply generic business approach to problems that should be solved in a specific, software-related way; in order to maintain growth rates in coming years, we will have to get pretty far out of our comfort zone

The things that got us to greatness in the first twenty-five years are not the same things that will get us there in the next 25 years. Innovation is not something you talk about, it's something that happens.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!