Intuit

3.8
1,675 Reviews

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 327 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • Steep learning curve makes work-life balance hard to find when you're new (in 51 reviews)

• Middle management does not have a clue on overall long-term direction of support departments (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

207 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Is this the last employer of my career?

Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Three months now, and I think I finally found my last employer.
    Best kept secret in San Diego.
    Warm welcome for veterans via the IMN and several leaders who are military veterans.
    The friendliest culture I have ever been a part of.

Cons

Adjusting to a "go slow, to go fast" pace. Inquiry without Advocacy is a core competency and I'm not good at it yet.
    Several folks who have been here for 10+ years are clearly not right for the next chapter.
    Lack of internal resources (Core Corp Functions), data/information, and world class processes.

Cut your B players.
    Hire more from world class companies.
    Invest in the core...it's slowing our growth down.
    Flatten the org, and reduce total cost of workforce by injecting university talent, and transitioning military talent. Grow your own.

Sr. Software Engineer

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice convenient facility in San Diego north county. I like the gym. The cafeteria food is pretty good. Mac or PC laptops given for use making it easy to take to meetings.

Cons

I'd have to agree with another poster -- a lot of obvious favoritism and politics! Don't complain to your manager though or you will be looked down upon. Just smile...act happy even if you are not! If you get on the wrong side of management there is no turning back.

I too have heard engineers 'bragging' about working nights and weekends. I don't really see that as a completely dedicated worker -- often times that engineer is not organized and can't get work done in a 40 hour work week. Often an engineer who works this much has no family, no spouse, no interests and thus works the nights and weekends just to stay busy.

Intuit wants you to be innovative with Innovation Days but the guidelines can be strict and narrow- not exactly what one hopes for when you hear "innovation".

Intuit's number of product offerings hasn't changed much in years.

The company is not as great as people think it is. There are many other great companies in San Diego to work for.

Listen to the engineers and what they have to say. You will learn a lot! The managers only give you the answers that you want.

Politics and Favoritism

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice facility, great benefits. Company is doing well.

Cons

Very political and lots of bureaucracy. Discourages creativity. Culture of constant lay offs makes people very competitive and not help each other. Decisions are not made easily. Favoritism is huge and you can't succeed unless you play the 'game'. People are afraid to admit to having a life outside of work and there is too much 'bragging' about working nights and weekends.

Eliminate bureaucracy and favoritism. Don't allow few mid managers to hold all the decision power. The company was much better when I first started but in the last few years have turned downhill. There is no life/work balance because it's such a cut throat environment.

awesome company to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent work-life balance
    awesome culture
    cutting edge work
    great benefits

Cons

loads of contractors, spoiling the company culture

Was a good company to work for but now there is too much turnover in staff.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They have strong company values, believe in doing right by customers and employees. Good salaries and benefits. CEO is very dynamic and a good visionary. Great public speaker.

Cons

Too much turnover in staff and yearly re-orgs; seems to be an annual event to layoff employees with domain knowledge and seniority. You get the message from upper management that everything is going well; middle management does not take care of employees anymore. They would rather hire interns then train existing employees on new technologies.

Do more skip level meetings; your middle management does not tell you the truth of how things are going.

Software Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has a very conducive culture which offers growth and they have excellent perks.

Cons

You might some times get into teams that are much less interesting and dull compared to others and that is a negative

Management should try and assign teams to its employees that are more aligned to their strength and interests.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Manager I in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager I in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always moving up, down, right, left. It's a versatile environment with a lot of growth potential. Not for the faint of heart or the paper pusher.

Cons

Big company, corporate ladders, lots of meetings... lots of meetings about meetings. It's a social company and quite important that you immerse yourself daily.

Excellent Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent values. Incredibly interesting problems to solve. Working with some of the smartest people I've ever met.

Cons

Steep learning curve makes work-life balance hard to find when you're new. On the bright side, if you can excel here, you can excel anywhere.

Make career opportunity easier to understand. Intuit is huge, and it feels very easy to get lost when you're just starting out.

Bureaucracy and Favoritism

Current Employee - QA Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. There is an emphasis on having fun and colleagues supporting each other. Discourages creativity.

Cons

Bureaucratic management, displayes favoratism which discourages creativity, impedes personal growth, lack of job security

Eliminate bureaucracy and favoritism. Listen and grow your people, they are your assets

Awesome company to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

flexible
    surrounded with super nice people
    benefits

Cons

cafeteria sucks ( really bad)