Intuit Reviews in San Diego, CA

3.9
1,533 Reviews

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 303 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

195 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Beat all my expectations

Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for. I've been really pleased with the opportunites to progress in my career while maintaining a great work-life balance compared to previous employers. Generous compensation and benefits packages a big plus! Company

Cons

Definitely more opportunities to progress in Mountain View v. other locations. Lots of re-orgs which result in occasional layoffs but those moves are usually necessary for the company to continue to be a growth company.

Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Intuit treats employee as the most important stakeholder. They truly care about you, and it shows in the number of ways - from compensation to work - life balance support, benefits that go beyond common.
    For the most part hIgh quality people, knowledgeable, smart, good to work with.

Cons

being large widely distributed company, it is at times challenging to get to a decision without involving a dozen of people.
    There are many business units comprising intuit, each watching out for their own bottom line., sometimes pulling in opposite directions.

Summer Internship in San Diego office

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Intuit as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone was very friendly and encouraging. There were intern projects that we choose and then brainstormed for in our whitespace time (10% of paid time is encouraged to be a project outside of usual work). All of the interns pitched the ideas to the senior management, best were chosen to be implemented. It was a really good opportunity in going through the whole design process.

Cons

Management is very encouraging, but then vague about what to work on. It can lead to miscommunication.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are friendly, lots of healthy food options, great campus, lots of perks. Company really cares about having healthy employees.

Cons

Would like to see more hiring from within the company.

Make more time for cross training between teams for individuals wanting to grow their careers.

Great company to work at

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The people are easy to get along with and are extremely helpful. You also get to dedicate 10% of your working time to a personal project that you are passionate about. Intuit also promotes employees to volunteer billable hours towards a charity/cause of your choice.

Cons

It is a larger company so it can be difficult to "find your place" at first. You will need to do your part to stand out.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Software QA  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software QA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Highly collaborative environment where you work with smart and talented people as part of small cross-functional teams using iterative design and rapid experimentation. High emphasis on lean startup techniques and agile development. Leadership encourages and provides opprtunites for training and career development. Lots of perks, i enjoy too much the work i do that i don't even take advantage of the basketball and volleyball courts, Gym, on site cafeteria, great work life balance...

Cons

Frequent organization changes, but unfortunately this is needed to stay competitive and no free lunch.

Encourage your employees to succeed and make time for training and career development. Work with employees on expectations about their career path and what it takes for promotion.

To work at Intuit you must act accordingly and be ready to be micromanaged

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Facility, offices, food, discounted Starbucks,gym

Cons

I was surprised to read many of the same opinions on Glassdoor as what I see at Intuit. That is, if you want to work at Intuit, San Diego, you should be ready to do as you are told and never voice your opinion. Managers like to micromanage down to the hourly details. Many very intelligent people have been laid off for being too outspoken. It's a shame that great talent has left the company.

Turnover at Intuit is high. It's common for people to work at Intuit for a year or two and move on to other companies. Middle managers take the enjoyment out of working for Intuit. They can throw you under the bus when you least expect it. Co-workers are great though.

Innovation is encouraged but the only time to do it is after hours. Those who work extensive hours (such as 60 yours per week) will be promoted. Otherwise, if you do your work and do it well in a 40 hour work week it will take years to get a promotion.

There are not many women engineers that work at Intuit and the majority of those employed are from India. There is a definite disproportion of male to female engineers. You will notice it once you start going to meetings. Most people at Intuit are very young so if you fit that mold then you will like it.

I can't speak highly of Intuit as a whole so I don't refer my friends for jobs. There are many opportunities in San Diego of which I will be pursuing.

Lastly don't ask Human Resources for any help if you have a problem with a manager. HR is employed to side with the manager no matter what. I've never witnessed an HR department like this.

Do what so many Intuit employees on Glassdoor have stated and change up your middle managers. Life would be better with more positive, inspiring managers who don't take the enjoyment out of coming to work.

Blame Game

Current Employee - Group Marketing Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Group Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very competitive salaries, great benefits, good facilities in San Diego, invests in employees attending training, conferences etc.

Cons

The basic culture of the team in San Diego is to find someone to blame for a mistake and then fire that person. Lots of change, entire senior leadership is new in last 2 years. A manager has free will, HR is for namesake. Basically you are great if you can keep your manager pleased, don't even think of challenging your manager or a sacred point of view, else you are out of the door. No mobility opportunities for employees.

Stop the blame game, limit the power for Director level employees, HR needs to step up.

Treats you right

Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Interaction Designer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Very well compensated
    -Stable company
    -Cares about innovation, keeping up with technology
    -Nice perks, happy hours, outings, etc

Cons

-I don't see a lot of women in high positions
    -Way too many meaningless meetings
    -Relies on email to get stuff done
    -Lots of reorgs, maybe 1/year

Awesome company!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Intuit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and compensation
    Lot of flexibility
    Good products
    good vision for the future
    Innovation is appreciated

Cons

outdated technologies
    laid back attitude
    food is really bad
    layoffs are frequent

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!