Intuit

Intuit Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith

Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 303 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 131 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management rarely in tune with the feet on the street (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights
189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work at

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people are easy to get along with and are extremely helpful. You also get to dedicate 10% of your working time to a personal project that you are passionate about. Intuit also promotes employees to volunteer billable hours towards a charity/cause of your choice.

ConsIt is a larger company so it can be difficult to "find your place" at first. You will need to do your part to stand out.

Awesome place to work!

Senior Software QA (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHighly collaborative environment where you work with smart and talented people as part of small cross-functional teams using iterative design and rapid experimentation. High emphasis on lean startup techniques and agile development. Leadership encourages and provides opprtunites for training and career development. Lots of perks, i enjoy too much the work i do that i don't even take advantage of the basketball and volleyball courts, Gym, on site cafeteria, great work life balance...

ConsFrequent organization changes, but unfortunately this is needed to stay competitive and no free lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees to succeed and make time for training and career development. Work with employees on expectations about their career path and what it takes for promotion.

Awesome company!!

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood benefits and compensation
    Lot of flexibility
    Good products
    good vision for the future
    Innovation is appreciated

Consoutdated technologies
    laid back attitude
    food is really bad
    layoffs are frequent

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treats you right

Senior Interaction Designer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros-Very well compensated
    -Stable company
    -Cares about innovation, keeping up with technology
    -Nice perks, happy hours, outings, etc

Cons-I don't see a lot of women in high positions
    -Way too many meaningless meetings
    -Relies on email to get stuff done
    -Lots of reorgs, maybe 1/year

Great place to work. Outstanding culture, amazing benefits.

Group Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsBenefits and environment are outstanding. Highly competitive and never boring. The people here are extremely smart. Industry leaders all around.

ConsThe organization is extremely flat so promotion within is difficult. Focus on deep domain experience for new hires limits growth within. Work life balance is a strain but not too bad relative to compensation.

Looks good from outside, beware when inside

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- beautiful campus with many amenities
    - excellent compensation package and benefits (the only reason to recommend this place)
    - if you like passive aggressive behavior this is the place

Cons- they move people around every year, information lost in transition
    - they can't make a decision on simple matters
    - if you don't like passive aggressive behavior you won't like it
    - it's a real club, if you aren't invited in, you're done

Advice to Senior ManagementThe 1st, 2nd and 3rd level managers are useless. They are put in place and only manage their image up. When they meet their reports (and they may not meet them because they "gave up"), they put them down verbally.

Collaborative experience

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIntuit is creative, innovative and overall a good place to work.

ConsAs a contractor one misses out on internal opportunities :)

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all the change happening, it is easy to get distracted, so determine the urgency, stick to the vision, motivate others and monitor change.

Elimination of 785 positions announced on July 15, 2014 by Brad Smith

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLove the gym, sand volleyball court and basketball court. Cafe food has a large variety and very good. Health benefits are good. San Diego campus is nice.

ConsReorganizations every summer after tax season. This time with the Small Business Group. Strategic priorities change every summer. Hope that your group remains as a priority. Intuit is not a place to call home for years. Strategies change, alignments change, the "ecosystem" changes. Intuit is a good place to earn money during the tax season. But prepared to be laid off the following summer. Be prepared to feel the stress from long hours and unreasonable deadlines!

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe you could find a place for your laid off employees in other parts of the company. Keep your talent and pay closer attention to middle managers who are not keeping employees inspired.

Great place to visit, but you don't want to stay there...

Product Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Great as your first job out of university - everything there is taught (how to lead, how to innovate, etc.)
    - Great set of company values
    - Founder still there, he has a huge influence on the company and he's fantastic, if you can work with him - great
    - Good pay
    - Great for work life balance , since it's mostly in the US, the hours are humane (rarely does a meeting start before 8AM or end after 5PM)
    - Gym onsite
    - free fruit, lattes, and other amenities

Cons- Not so great if :
       - You have experience from elsewhere - it's not valued at all, so keep yourself quiet about where you worked before
       - You are technical and value technical leadership, these are few and far between at Intuit. Most Sr. leadership is from marketing, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it's a SaaS company now that doesn't think knowing about technology is important.
        - You have your own thoughts and ideas -- they are NOT welcome here. Everything has been codified already before you get there. So if you read about some interesting model from somewhere outside the company - keep it to yourself. Everything you need to succeed, down to the words that you are expected to use, has already been defined and you MUST stick to the script (BTW the script changes frequently, so keep a list of words that are 'IN' and words that are 'OUT')
    - There are layoffs every year. Not sure if all companies do that, but in July-ish of every year, there are big layoffs. It's been said if you aren't sure who will be laid off this year, it's probably you
    - Constant re-organizations, usually every July-ish. Things like putting all of small business (payments, payroll, demand force, Quickbooks,etc) together, then taking them apart again; centralizing customer care, then putting it back in the business units
    - not so great if you can't conform all the time - as I mentioned, every slide format, every word you use is scripted from the myriad of models that already exist in the company - to survive you have to 'Be Yourself - The Intuit Way' (yep, it's an oxymoron, but that is the best way I've come to describe it)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real technical leadership in all areas, allow employees to speak in a manner they are accustomed to, which may not be the 'Intuit Jargon-of-the-Day'. Actually be innovative don't just talk about it everywhere.

A great work environment! I enjoyed my time there.

Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsMy work area was very open, well lit, and we even got a lot of natural sunlight. The San Diego campus is beautiful with a lot of options when taking a break from work. They also have a number of reliable software tools (both 3rd party and in-house) in place to make work more enjoyable. Everyone I came into contact with was friendly and very professional.

ConsI've only had the opportunity to work for one season there so far. I've been told they scramble the teams each year to keep things fresh for employees. So you could have different authors each year working on certain code which I think could be confusing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your seasonal employees better professionally. In the time I was there, no-one ever asked me about my strengths or weaknesses. My career has spanned many years and if management had taken an interest, maybe they could have found additional uses for my skills and experience.

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!