Intuitive Surgical

Intuitive Surgical Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Intuitive Surgical President & CEO Gary S. Guthart

Gary S. Guthart

Pros
  • respectful, low pressure, fair expectation, healthy work-life balance, good diversity - and, not to forget decent cheap heavily subsidized lunches(in 3 reviews)

• Excellent innovation, great product, strong growth, exemplary executive leadership(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can sometimes be taxing, but what is fun without challenges(in 10 reviews)

• lots of work and still in it's growing pains(in 3 reviews)

Tested to the limits by motivated minds alike.

Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsTalented people, great work environment, top of the line technology, all excellent for growth in the industry.

ConsSometimes work goes home with you. That comes with the territory though in such a fast paced industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementLuckily my direct reports are very fair and know how to resolve situations.

A great place to work.

Mechanical Inspector (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompany Philosophy is simple. If you work hard, you will be rewarded. This is a fast pace environment for people who likes to work.

ConsNot for everyone. If you are looking for a 9-5 job, this is not the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the company's Philosophy.

Intense and rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCorporate vision and mission well understood and embraced by all. All tools and resources needed to excel are provided. Money alone is rarely the reason a request is denied. If you can present the business case, you'll probably get the resource you're requesting.

Surrounded by smart , motivated people.

ConsNot sure it's a con, but Pace is fast, not for everyone. I have good friends I would not refer in because of fit. Important to manage balance. Talk with your manager, let him/her know what personal events cannot be missed at home. Most will work with you. Be proactive on your own behalf.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the. Course!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

In transition-I am learning enough to take my skills elsewhere for a normal life.

Inspector (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat pay. Great personnel.

ConsSwing shift starts at five pm. (10) hr days. All Saturdays work, work, work. No family life., No benefits at all.
    Would not recommend this co. to a friend unless they are single with no life. 50-60 hr work weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with temps how / when they can become permanent. Two tier system. Temps are treated way differently. Quit sending e-mails to temps about the new benefits. Company picnics are for permanent employees not temps. Train the temps to succeed.

Sad weird place ... especially in corporate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAmazing product innovation that has revolutionised the field of surgery. CEO is a nice, super smart leader. Seems to be rationale and strategic.

ConsA great product doesn't mean you also have a great culture. Corporate is chaotic and a political nightmare. People get away with being outright nasty and demeaning to their direct reports.

In fact, my toxic manager is the most passive aggressive person I've ever met. She has gone out of her way to not train me and set me up for failure.

She spends our one-on-ones gossiping about how much she hates various VPs and how it's not really a "people first" company. She also constantly complains about her health and how the company has made her physically ill. Not very professional!

Don't waste your time. Not a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire nicer people. Live your values. Don't tolerate narcissistic self-serving prima donnas. Not sure why the CEO tolerates it. He's a good guy.

A complete waste of time.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I met here are some of the most wonderful people I have every met.

ConsThe worst communication between varying levels of management to the workforce I have ever experienced.

Great challenges and rewarding work.

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsSurrounded by brilliant and passionate people. Long list of challenging and rewarding design problems. Exciting product that makes a positive impact on patients' lives.

ConsDepending on the phase of a project, the tightly regulated environment (medical devices) can lead to a lot of paperwork and overhead to getting things done.

Good place to work - at least in IT infrastructure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosrespectful, low pressure, fair expectation, healthy work-life balance, good diversity - and, not to forget decent cheap heavily subsidized lunches.

ConsA little slow to make decisions - sometimes and for simple changes there are too many checks, change is not accepted easily

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your IT line managers to make bold decisions. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Wonderful people, great rewards, high pressure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsYou will enjoy meeting and working with the intelligent and committed people at Intuitive. There is a real sense of teamwork and shared commitment to cool products that make a real difference in the quality of life of surgical patients. You have a real sense of contribution and responsibility. You may have trouble finding your work-life balance, especially if you are an engineer, and depending on your manager and whether you are one who can set your own boundaries effectively. Training is almost non-existent, except for the on-the-job training you get. You learn by doing. Employees who don't cooperate in the team effort are identified and corrected or let go.

ConsThe focus on delivering results brings enormous pressure with it, and if you don't recognize and enforce limits on your personal commitment to the work, you can find yourself overwhelmed. Company values are admirable and buy-in by management and employees is real. The workload, however, makes time for training and focus on career growth nearly non-existent.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to help employees understand the expectations they face and how to negotiate with managers what they can and cannot do, without fear of letting the team down.

Good company,bad management

IQC Inspector (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood company attitude ,suggestions are read and ignored.

ConsManagement works everyone 10 hour days and every saturday.HIRE more people!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people,They still do not allow personal headphones at work...

Worked for Intuitive Surgical? Contribute to the Community!