Investor Group Services

www.igsboston.com

Investor Group Services Reviews

Updated May 1, 2014
Investor Group Services – “Outdoor View”

Mindy Berman

Great Associate Opportunity for New Grads

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Exposure to a wide variety of industries
    - Very flat organization, I sit next to a Managing Director and I interact with senior management on case-related work every day
    - A lot of responsibility, and management (of part-timers) experience from week 1, even as new college grad
    - Great opportunity to learn about data analysis and structuring (heavy on the Excel)
    - Similar experience as a Bain, McKinsey, BCG would offer, with less red tape (but no brand name)
    - Smart and diverse consulting team that will always be able to teach you more

Cons- Get ready to work hard. Expectedly, associates are worked hard (60-70+ hour weeks are the norm), though not atypical for consulting

Good for part-time, temporary work

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood for "filler work" between jobs
    Project based

ConsIf you sign onto a project, not very flexible in hours, which made things difficult in trying to interview for full-time jobs.
    Researchers were not treated very well by associates

Advice to Senior ManagementResearchers should be treated better seeing as they are an integral part of your consulting work. You should incentivize them to do well.

Overall great experience, lots of opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI believe that this is an amazing company - a place with smart people, interesting work, and an entrepreneurial culture where employees can pursue opportunities and interests. The work spans a breadth of industries and topics, and consultants will undoubtedly develop strong problem solving, strategic thinking and management skill-sets.

ConsIGS is a fast paced place, and the demands and deadlines can be challenging. Also, the firm does not have the "infrastructure" of a top consulting firm so it does not always feel like professional support systems are there.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build out the "infrastructure" of the firm, including branding, professionalism, professional development, and culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great overall experience

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI worked at IGS for 3 years after graduating in 2010, and I was very pleased with my experience. Given the small and entrepreneurial culture of the firm, you are given the opportunity to take on as much responsibility as you can handle. In addition, the people are all very smart, talented, and easy to work with.

ConsAs with any professional services firm, the work / hours can be demanding and unpredictable at times.

Fine for a time, but dreadful for a career

Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey hire smart people and give exposure to full client engagements quickly
    Breadth of industry exposure and short time cycle so never on an unending client project

ConsNot really PE at all - IGS is a service provider (and a cheap one at that)
    Arrogance in senior management
    No brand recognition in market

Advice to Senior Managementthey don't take advice so not worth it

A lot of exposure in a short amount of time. Great learning and realistic full-time experience.

Summer Consultant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart people. Good pay - comparable to other top consulting firms. Small office environment leads to a lot more responsibility upfront, and more learning opportunities. Office culture generally cares a lot about work-life balance, and are highly considerate to each others' personal lives. Travel is rare since case work is with private equity clients.

ConsTurnaround can be tight, and IGS double-staffs on cases, which may at times be challenging. But work is interesting, and the pace of work makes hours fly by. Most work is market due diligences; if you like strategy, you may miss that from this work environment. Work here is more for the person who loves to learn, research, and craft stories.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruits are comparing all consulting firms to each other. It's important to know what is unique about IGS to help it stand out from the crowd.

Great exposure to consulting, a wide variety of industries, and some really smart and capable people.

Summer Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIGS keeps you busy. You'll be given responsibility from day one, and the work isn't boring. Associates (my position) get to manage large teams of people on a regular basis, become PowerPoint and Excel whizzes, and interact regularly with the VPs and MDs. Overall, a great experience for someone right out of (or still in) college.

ConsNot a ton of client interaction. Because most of IGS's engagements are short (3 to 4 weeks), case teams rarely visit the client site, unless it's near the IGS office, and even then it's mainly the higher-level team members who are interacting with clients. As an associate, you're mainly responsible for the research / data management process and communicating that back to the superiors on your case team. Still a great experience overall, but more client interaction would be a plus.
    Also, as a first-year associate, don't count on getting out of the office before 9 or 10 p.m. on a regular basis, and expect at least a couple of 2 a.m. nights every few weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get associates more experience with presentations. Almost all of the actual presentations are done by VPs and MDs, so it's tough to get that kind of experience as an associate.

Not so great

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat way to make some change in this bad economy.

ConsThe Research Assistants are treated with disdain.The associates are always visibly angry with the researchers and talk to them like they are kids.Unstable working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe research assistants are an integral part of the company and should be treated with respect.

A poor place to work

Market Research Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible projects on a short term contract basis.

Free flavored seltzer water

The person who manages research assistants is professional and courteous

ConsTo echo some other posters, you are treated like you are nothing if you are a research assistant. Not only managers, but even the Associates who are just out of college emit an air of superiority

It's a complete revolving door, no loyalty to workers and you are completely dispensible to management.

In my experience, many of the RAs would not follow policy for researching in order to meet the survey quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat research assistants better, otherwise the quality of your primary research will continue to be low

Invest in RAs, maybe hire some full-time. The increase in quality and integrity of data output would probably be worth it.

Terrible

Callers Are Not Treated Like Real People (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFree Soda, 25 cent vending machine

ConsYou're barely treated like a real person of a discernible intelligence

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about letting the callers eat the free food at the same time as the associates?

Worked for Investor Group Services? Contribute to the Community!