Investors Group
www.investorsgroup.com Winnipeg, Canada 1000 to 5000 Employees

Investors Group Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Murray J. Taylor

Pros:
  • "A lot of information is garnered regarding the financial planning process"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Training and support is the best in the industry"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "and there is no salary but only commission based"
    in 12 reviews
  • "So If you are profiting from your relationship with your warm market"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Investors is without question the very best place to start a career in Financial Planning.

Regional Director (Current Employee)

ProsThey have a great new compensation package for new consultants. Well worth looking into it. The support is exceptional. Think long term and don't look back.

ConsBe prepared to work hard and learn everyday . You don't have success sitting around waiting for it to happen. You need to listen to what they tell you. They have a system that works. FOllow it.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what your tell them you are going to do.

A meaningful experience which helped prepare me for a future in financial services.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training program is top notch; not to mention they help get you licensed as a sales agent for mutual funds and life insurance.

ConsYou have to manage your own book of business; that means your salary is based on the amount of sales you have. It's a tough business and you have to be able to deal with sticky situations.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and stay positive!

Solid career platform

Fredericton, NB (Canada)

ProsAbility to build personal practice as you want within guidelines to preserve professionalism and credibility of both company and individual.

Conshard work and activity level of approaching people is high for success

Advice to Senior Managementeven more concept sharing for my repertoire.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best decision I've ever made - better than being a Fortune 500 Business Mgr or a Franchise owner which I've done.

Peterborough, ON (Canada)

ProsBest training in the industry and confirmed by independent surveys.
    I'm making more now than ever in my career.
    I have a guaranteed sale of my business when I'm done.
    Will fund CFP designation.
    Income security program for new consultants now available.

ConsYou need to commit to building a business - being an entrepreneur and business owner isn't right for everyone. For those that want an above average income, you must commit the effort and time. You have to have the character and will to overcome objections.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to provide more opportunities like APEX national meeting and Toronto Area events - great opportunities to learn and network.
    Putting an income security program in place for new consultants was a great idea - wish I had it when I started.

Great Opportunity for Career Searchers

ProsInvestors Group offers an industry leading training program focused heavily on mentoring and coaching. Skilled and experienced Financial Planners guide you through the learning process to ensure knowledge, skills and abilities are properly developed and efficiently utilized. An open culture allows free flowing sharing of information to ensure that new recruits are fully versed in the policies, everyday practices, and industry techniques needed to be successful. Fixed and flexible work hours allow you set your own schedule and enhancements to the overall compensation system at Investors Group ensure that you now have the opportunity to earn a base pay on top of the traditional commission only pay structure. Opportunity for career advancement and personal development!

ConsMust be self motivated
    Must be a Problem Solver

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to Train and Mentor your employees, WE APPRECIATE IT!

Living the dream

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsAmazing culture. I have met some of the most amazing and successful people at Investors Group. The company cares about it's employees and the community which is rare these days. Senior consultants are always happy to help and share their experiences with others to help them build their practices. Rewarding and challenging which makes it a phenomenal career. Training and support is the best in the industry.

ConsIt takes a hard work ethic and ambition to succeed. Be prepared to put in long hours in the beginning but it will all be worth it when you succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew income enhancements for new consultants was one of the best decisions this company has ever made. New consultants being able to have a $40,000 base will go a long way to ensure their success.

All my dreams have come true.

Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsInvestors Group has an incredible culture of sharing. Learning this business is very challenging and having reliable support is essential. IG has the support! The recent changes in compensation for new consultants make the career much easier to get into and be successful.

ConsYou really do have to work hard and smart. You are an entrepreneur, act accordingly. All business start ups take hard work and effort to get off the ground. You have to be able to see your potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Solid, stable environment with fantastic support.

Good place to work

Financial Adviser (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsTo be your own boss

ConsMust be on your toes

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should create enough level playing field

yes its a good starter

ProsA good starter career , very friendly environment

Consnot as difficult as it looks

Advice to Senior Managementkeep doing a good job

Great for some, not so great for others

Mutual Funds Representative (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros-Work lifestyle
    -Decent compensation structure
    -Phenomenal training
    -Solid company with a long history

Cons-Must have a foundation for success before taking this type of job (e.g. good warm market)
    -Mostly a sales job, strictly commission-based w/ a draw account
    -No real career advancement other than growing your book
    -If you don't succeed early on you will flounder

Advice to Senior Management-Be more forthcoming about the necessities of the job (directors are incentivized to hire, regardless of appropriateness of job)
    -Improve on office culture and turnover rate
    -Be more forthcoming about what it takes to succeed in the position, rather than talking about 'unlimited potential earnings'

Worked for Investors Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Investors Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Investors Group CEO Murray J. Taylor. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Investors Group employees.