Invitation Homes

Updated February 18, 2015
Updated February 18, 2015
2.8

Nick Gould

Pros
  • Health & dental benefits are good (in 4 reviews)

• Work-life balance was encouraged, although no tele-commuting (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work was fast paced and a lot of hours required to accomplish production needs and still maintain quality (in 4 reviews)

• Ever-changing environment which for some can be overwhelming (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place to work, but definitely has its challenges

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altamonte Springs, FL

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits with matching 75% 401K, great people to work with, always plenty of work to do, understanding supervisors as long as your work is done, always a pot luck

Cons

Not what you know but who you know that increases your staying power, constant fear of losing your job due to layoffs, no real opportunity for advancement, no accountability for not following operational procedures, only care that things are done....not that they are done right

Think before you leap! All of the restructuring may save you money upfront, but will detract from your bottom line in the long run. Make sure that your employee's talents are being used wisely and reward them for their knowledge by promoting them or utilizing them to the best of your advantage and theirs.

If you thrive on change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong group of individuals regarding experience; a lot of opportunity to learn. There were always processes and procedures to build upon, providing avenues of advancement if you could improve these. Benefits were good and the overall office environment was professional.

Cons

Leadership lacked big picture ideas. If you weren't with them, you were against them and they would certainly find a way to weed you out. Turn over made it impossible to keep strong associates, as they were always looking over their shoulders, waiting for the hammer to drop. It dropped often. Cannot continue to use the excuse of "we are still a young company"...

No need to reinvent the wheel...continue to go with what works and keeps the employees growing. Sitting in a corner office doesn't make you an expert.

Dead-end Despite the so-called Company Culture

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tampa, FL

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There's usually some kind of free food/potluck every other month.
    There's a lot of chit-chat and goofing around in most departments.

Cons

Compensation is unbalanced, but most don't know because of a hard line no-share rule about pay rate.
    Company feels that company-branded trinkets (coffee mug, mouse pad, etc) is the way to gain loyalty.
    Hourly employees are expected to round to the minute. There is an expectation of working off the clock.

Try treating employees like human beings rather than faceless grunts.

What a joke.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are okay. 401k matching is okay. The coffee is free. It's possible that you will make a friend or two amidst the negativity.

Cons

Here's some advice for those thinking about pursuing a career with Invitation Homes: don't. Seriously. No amount of money would make this hell hole of a company tolerable. Although it's likely that they aren't offering you much money in the first place, which makes your decision that much easier. Walk away. Now.

Every negative review that you read here is completely accurate, and the majority of the positive reviews are absolutely fake - commonly being published after another round of layoffs to combat the inevitable influx of negative reviews.

I cannot even come close to overstating the toxicity of the environment here. Some of the rudest, most unprofessional and manipulative people that I have ever had the misfortune of working with have been put in positions of power. Any good morale that ever existed has been completely sucked out of the office - teamwork and collaboration are nonexistent as this company has been reduced to an "every man for himself" environment. Be prepared to play the blame game and to have fingers pointed at you, because this environment is non-conducive to actual problem solving. Rather, most find that their time is better spent passive-aggressively CC'ing upper management on trivial issues and passing the buck on to someone else in order to avoid having to do any actual work.

Don't be surprised if you are forbidden from interacting with other departments. Don't be surprised if you go years without a performance review or a raise. Don't be surprised if management starts rumors about you and accuses you of wrongdoing without having any basis whatsoever. And then doubles down on accusations even after you've provided irrefutable proof against them. Corporate HR has completely abandoned the Bellevue branch because it's too far gone. There is no saving this branch unless they decide to address the actual problems and start cleaning house to get rid of the negativity.

I've spelled out the problem for you here. If you decide to continue down the road with IH, you won't get any sympathy from me when it all hits the fan. If you value your dignity, your time, and your sanity you should stay far, far away from Invitation Homes.

Clean house in Bellevue.

Disorganized

Former Employee - Assistant Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are nice for the most part, favorable time off policy, they provide proper equipment to get the job done.

Cons

Everything was very disorganized, policy would change week to week, lake of communicative, high expectations, low respect, management didn't provide back up for issues that came up.

Invitation Homes would be a good company if management didn't fall short implementing practical best practices.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company benefits are good. The "culture club" tries to engage employees in activities. The benefit package is better than some.

Cons

Complete chaos. IH is a relatively new company they have a long way to go before becoming efficient. Their practices are questionable with regards to real estate licensing requirements. However, they will promote from within even if you failed the real estate test. Also, they have laid off several employee due to "streamlining" functions. However, by doing so they added more tasks to already other departments. Management has a just "get it done" mentality.

Hire an outside change management team/consultant. If you want more than a revolving door, you need to know what employees are really thinking. A majority of employees dislike management professionally in the largest region due the failure to implement best practices. Blackstone should take a more active roll. Send out an anonymous surveys in the largest regions. Auditors needed.

Company's Early success is indicative of a great national model with a small company local vibe!

I worked at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Although we were handling a large group of single family home re-habilitations and rentals, the great people that the organization had at the local levels were able to create and mold a National Powerhouse. Company was extremely fair to employees and open to local contribution for all the emerging and evolving systems that were required.

Cons

Inevitable reorganization due to incredible growth led to layoffs but company was extremely fair with its separation packages. Once the company completes its reorganization, IH will have plenty of great opportunities for property management and maintenance personnel.

None.

I was a temp, but they really are like a family there, and treated me like family for the time that I worked with them

Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Invitation Homes part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Tight knit community. I felt like family. I was paid generously even as a temp.

Cons

I was there for about 5 months as a temp. My biggest gripe is that they fired my supervisor, and as a result meant that I would no longer be working there. Im ok with all of that, but I wish they at least would have been honest about it with me. The last day I was there, I assumed I would continue working. They never felt the need to contact me to tell me they no longer need me.

Keep doing what you are doing. You guys are great.

Great opportunity to gain remodeling experience and project management, but not a place to stay.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Invitation Homes full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to all problems and phases of remodeling a home.

Cons

Terrible pay and management.

Pay better, train employees better, and don't focus on every single problem, while overlooking the successes.

Portfolio Manager

I worked at Invitation Homes

Pros

Growing Company that has a lot of opportunity for improvement.

Cons

Growing Company with a lot of unknowns.

Establish a consistent culture and train people from the beginning.