Invodo

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Craig Wax

It's a mixed bag

I have been working at Invodo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood culture among the rank and file. Smart and dedicated people. Interesting customers and projects to work on. Accelerated learning due to the size of the company and the variety of work you get to do. Invodo fundamentally has a good service that is gaining market traction and broader acceptance.

ConsMediocre executive team that is heavy on management and almost devoid of leadership. Decision making takes forever and requires tedious analysis well beyond the point of providing new insight. Often, the answer was apparent from the beginning but the executives, particularly the two C-levels, lack the boldness and resolve to act until they have over-analyzed. This robs the company of the nimbleness that is the hallmark of a transformational start-up. Investment capital is readily available, but the company refuses to make big bets on growth or acquisitions. Progress moves at a snails pace instead of by leaps and bounds. The employees are left to cobble together solutions to make things work instead of tapping into innovation. compensation is just adequate, especially for a competitive Austin market. Old school mentality about pay, perks, and benefits pervades the attitude of management. That creates a churn and burn cycle among the best and brightest employees. There is frustrating friction and lack of trust between departments which results in missed deliverables, hard feelings, and sometimes a loss of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a grip - wake up. If you believe in this company and want it to grow to achieve an IPO or merger / acquisition, you need to facilitate that through accelerated investment. You can't keep making it easy for our best talent to leave because of frustrations with comp and the pace of innovation. Quit focusing so much on management and learn how to lead. Get your head out of all the books you read and actually put some of those concepts into action by connecting with your people. Empower decision making and support action by giving your employees and line managers the resources and the authority to go along with the responsibility.

Fast pace Invodo company on the cutting edge of digital marketing

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Invodo full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat concept, a chance to meet retail industry leaders of all companies and a great team of people to work with.

ConsStartup company with endless work to do

Advice to Senior Managementcreate a better work/life balance

Mistreatment of Contractors/Talent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Invodo as a contractor

ProsFinally got paid after much prodding.

ConsBy far the worst company I have ever supplied my services for as a contractor/talent. I received nothing but extremely poor communication and was outright lied to by a number of people at this company, during the few weeks I worked with them. This took place well over a year ago and I have retained the emails to prove it. Something needed to be said about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt anything is going to be done. However, I would strongly recommend that you instill in your employees the significance of having integrity and better communication.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and product with family-like work environment

Sales Team (Former Employee)

I worked at Invodo full-time

ProsPositive family feel environment with great people. Leadership is experienced and treats employees well for the most part. Engineering team and leadership and product is very good. Good benefits include stock options and fully paid health insurance. Company treats employees well in general, and compensates fairly well for most positions. Great downtown location. There is some promotion within, although this usually takes a long time, and in the past the company has been more likely to hire externally to fill positions.

ConsDon't always appreciate their employees or promote appropriately from within, so a number of people have left the company due to having to move companies in order to get paid what they are worth. What you get paid when you are hired is typically around where employees will stay (salary wise) during the entire duration of employment (unless you are one of the lucky few who gets some type of internal promotion).

It's a fantastic learning opportunity at a wonderful start-up, but the pay to LOE required for this role is skewed.

I have been working at Invodo

ProsWonderful people working in a great start-up environment. Fantastic clients. eCommerce video is a very exciting space to be in.

ConsThe drawback of a start-up is that you're often faced with limited resources, including too few people, and sometimes financial constraints. I also have found the pay to be low compared to other companies in a similar space.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I could say one thing, it would be that age does not equal ability or worth. It's frustrating to find yourself pigeonholed in a role or pay level based solely on what is perceived to be "fair" for your age.

Worked for Invodo? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Invodo reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Invodo CEO Craig Wax. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Invodo employees.