Iostudio Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

2.8

Mitch Powers

A wild ride worth every minute

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think the culture and the general vibe is awesome. The clients are great companies doing really worthwhile work from right here in Nashville and all across the country. That makes coming to work a lot more rewarding.

Cons

The last 18 months or so have been through a lot of ups and downs but no one who loves this place ever gave up. There's been some turnover but still the work is great, the people are fun and funny. Compared to other places I've been there really aren't any cons to speak of. You can tell the transformation is behind us and some new exciting stuff is coming.

Get out on the production floor more. The leadership here is serious but also fun. They need to engage with the employees more so everyone has a chance to get to know them better.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Customer Care  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Let me preface by saying I served over a decade in the military and loved it, additionally I worked in the civilian sector for five years prior to working here. Nothing compares to this place. The owners are compassionate and truly care about their employee's. The Director and Deputy Program Manager of the Customer Care Team truly make working in a call center fun. Find another call center employee who can honestly say that. That's right, you can't. They continuously challenge employees to put forth their best efforts and the results show. They additionally ensure each employee knows they are appreciated and ensure the employees regardless of their role understand the significance of what they bring to the table each day. Back to the owners of the company. They offer a great benefits package, but on top of that, they continuously surprise employee's with margarita parties or half days on Fridays. They additionally have free snacks and soda's, take the employee's to a minor league baseball game in the spring, have a family day at a water park in the summer, and host a great Christmas party each year at The Palm restaurant. Unlike most company owners these guys get it. It isn't just the bottom line, its employee morale and attitude that drives the bottom line. Of the almost five years I have worked here, my worst day here was better than my best day at other places I have worked.

Cons

This company like any company isn't exempt from having issues. However, when issues arise they handle them appropriately and press on. I am sure there are cons from employee perspectives, however, the management team I work under, as hard as it seems to believe, handles every issue appropriately. I don't necessarily agree with each decision, but consistently they make the right call so I cannot complain.

None. They haven't steered me in the wrong direction yet so why fix what isn't broken.

A place with a lot to offer ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, good people, opportunities for professional growth abound if you are willing to seize the opportunity. It's a work environment where the company celebrates successes with each other - a baseball game here, a margarita party there. Benefits are strong, and I'm a current employee who feels that this is a company that tries hard to establish a 'family' atmosphere. Employees sometimes leave, but many have returned to work for the company a second time. That speaks volumes about the Partners and their concern for creating the type of work environment that employees are drawn to … it's the kind of environment many employees have regretted leaving. The grass is pretty green here no matter how attractive those other 'fields' may appear to be ...

Cons

Every place has its challenges whether it's the financial environment, an employee here and there you'd rather not deal with, etc. Don't let that scare you away from accepting an offer to work at iostudio. There were some financial issues in the past year that were beyond the company's control, but the company is full of good people who care about the company's future. Decisions are being made that will ensure this company is around for a long time, and if given the opportunity, you should be part of it ...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lot's of good people working together to do work that matters. It's not hard to get behind projects that actually help people and many of our clients are doing just that. I enjoy the people I work with and look forward to coming to work every day. My biggest "pro" for the Company is that I have always felt valued. The Partners are great guys who want people to enjoy what they do while doing it. They have always made me feel welcomed and needed. Lots of perks that don't exist every where else are an added bonus! A great benefits package that has obviously had a lot of thought put into it comes to mind as well as a Christmas bonus and party that are second to none!

Cons

A contract loss 18 months ago and some turnover have caused a few bumps in the road but everything is still moving in the right direction. Change is never easy for most people but it is inevitable in business and in life.

Keep lines of communication open and goals clearly defined.

You can't count on this place being open in a year

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's in Nashville.
    Some good clients.
    Work can be interesting, cool staff.

Cons

I was hired after the massive layoff that cut staff in half last year. There were good managers who wanted to see the place come out on top, and we did alot for staff morale and new work. But then something changed, and everyone shifted to blame chasing, outing people, people being scared to go to HR because HR reported your bizness to the brain trust, and there not being in career path. Raises quit and everyone started being fake. I liked it here, but then i found out everyone was looking for a job and didn't give a crap about the work. I'm in my final rounds of interviews, so I hope to be out soon.

Your a bunch of liars who don't know what you are doing. Open your doors, be honest, and then set yourself on fire for being such jerks. We count on you to take care of our families and make a career here- how could you treat us this way? You don't care about anything but the bottom line and your client base will figure that out and leave you. But you don't care, you'll be on to the next thing with your money.

All positive reviews are written by senior mgmt trying to trap you in to accepting a job. STAY AWAY!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Iostudio

Pros

Comical senior mgmt keeps you laughing at their stupidity.

If have you never felt smart, you will working hear.

You'll be taller than all your bosses for sure.

Cons

Your only job is to keep your job. Then you'll have 5 jobs doing the jobs of this weeks fired employees.

No compassion for families. AKA firing a 9 month pregnant girl leaving her without insurance, and the maternity leave she earned.

Ongoing witchhunts

Leadership team unqualified that only manages through fear tactics.

Leave, you have no management skills to qualify you for the positions you were given and not earned. Earn respect by listening instead of dictating/firing.

I had a great experience there, made great friends

Former Employee - Developer  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Developer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Iostudio full-time for more than a year

Pros

I learned more from this job than any other in my career. I learned from incredible developers, designers and product managers. People put a lot of faith in me and gave new challenges. I had access to all levels of the company, had drinks and made good friends. There are good people here who aren’t pretentious and are dedicated to what they’re making and are proud of what they make.

Last year was tough for iostudio, for reasons beyond their control, but management is much smaller and I think they have a great future.

Cons

There were serious problems but products are coming out much more smoothly and everyone is getting along. One of the problems was being a software shop and an advertising agency but I think the direction is more settled now.

There are some great opportunities for content and dev to work together.

Fun environment, interesting business management

I have been working at Iostudio full-time

Pros

Smart people, fun, modern environment

Cons

Lack of financial planning, imbalanced income across accounts

I'd rather strap myself to the floor of a crumbling skyscraper than stay here another day.

I have been working at Iostudio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nashville, TN is a great city with a great tech scene and an up and coming nightlife. That's about all iostudio has going for itself.

Cons

Conjure up an image of the prototypical Midwestern good ol' boy - soft-spoken, family-oriented, generous to a fault, values loyalty and relationships above all else, puts others before himself, does unto others as he'd want done unto him, and so on. Now picture 3 good ol' boys teaming up to create an advertising agency in the heart of Nashville, TN. Now imagine precisely the OPPOSITE of what you might expect.

This company is by far the most disloyal, unappreciative and dishonest I've ever worked for. To say there's a vacuum of leadership is a farce - there is no leadership. The 3 owners sit in a back room and go on month-long safari's while the inmates run the asylum. Or rather, they don't. Nobody does. Every day somebody seemingly gets fired. Actually you can be promoted one week and fired the next, for absolutely no apparent reason. Mass layoffs are as frequent as Lindsey Lohan trips to court. Always unannounced, always without any communication to the rest of the team, and always done as callously as possible.

There is no corporate culture, unless fear and paranoia and distrust and confusion and ambivalence qualify as culture. Every other week the "brain trust" seems to come up with a new direction for the company. One week we want to be a full service agency. The next week we fire all of our creatives and want to become a development shop. The next week we want to install a new project management system that stifles any possible innovation. The next week we want to hire freelance creatives. The next week we can't afford freelance creatives. The next week we're pitching a huge account. The next week the pitch disappears.

The Titanic had a better chance of staying upright. This place is a hellhole of the highest order, and the people in charge (not the owners - they're basically nice, harmless, absentee landlords - but the 3 or 4 clones of Napoleon who they've put all their misguided trust in) are systematically destroying everything the owners have built over the course of 15 years, right before their very eyes.

The only growth potential you have at iostudio begins the day you submit your resignation.

Oh yea... and they just fired an employee who had been there for 7 years, 3 weeks before she's due to have a baby.

To the owners - start over. Fire your brain trust and hire people who (a) know how to build an agency, (b) genuinely care about your business and don't go out of their way to ridicule you to the staff at every opportunity, talking about how schizophrenic and clueless you are, and (c) have the ability to build and foster a workplace environment that makes employees feel valued, respected and dignified, as well as the ability to COMMUNICATE with one another and everybody else.

To the "brain trust" - keep doing what you're doing. Somehow you're the only ones who've managed to keep your jobs, so keep cashing those checks and shamelessly destroying what these guys have worked so hard to build.

Fun While It Lasted

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Iostudio full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

*Free Snacks & Drinks
    *Nice, clean office
    *Some really good co-workers
    *Good Christmas party
    *Military friendly

Cons

*Massive layoffs
    *Tied to 1 large client
    *Major politics within the organization to get promoted
    *Limited career potential as company has shrunk due to layoffs
    *Small bonuses
    *IT department who doesn't know what they are doing
    *Creative department who has 2 or 3 Directors for a small organization!
    *Location is by airport vs downtown

Fire your Executive Directors! Grow your business and stop being tied to 1 major customer.

Worked for Iostudio? Contribute to the Community!