Iowa Western Community College

CEO

1. Excellent Workplace Environment

Current Employee - Instructor in Clarinda, IA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Clarinda, IA

I have been working at Iowa Western Community College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, caring staff, academic freedom

Cons

Diverse student age groups, technology alters teaching approach

2. Equal Parts Strengths and Weaknesses

I worked at Iowa Western Community College full-time

Pros

I spent a number of years teaching here and I was given lots of autonomy and flexibility to run my classroom the way I saw fit with minimal supervision from my program chair and dean. When they did observe me, they had good advice to help me improve and the environment was an encouraging one. Within my academic division, there was a good sense of teamwork and responsibility. Each of us knew what our jobs were and stuck to doing those jobs every day to the best of our ability. There were lots of opportunities to participate on campus with coworkers and students alike. Being in the classroom and on campus was the best part of the job.

Cons

On the other hand, dealing with anything outside the academic leadership was a non-stop headache. Communication between faculty and administration/staff was generally quite poor. Often times, even when I was directly and personally solicited to provide information or suggestions on how to proceed on an issue from staff or administration, I would try to provide well-written and/or thoughtful responses that would either not be heeded or go completely ignored. In other cases, if I had an issue in the classroom that required help from another department, my requests for assistance would go completely ignored for weeks or months at a time. My emails and phone calls would disappear into the ether and getting the input I needed to better understand the workings of the college that were not under my control was next to impossible.

In terms of yearly salary increases and promotions, they offer little to no reason to stay for the long haul. Taking on leadership roles that require a lot more responsibility such as program chair of a department is tied to how many full-time faculty one would supervise, which is great for the biggest departments, terrible for the smallest ones or the ones with lots of adjunct faculty and very few full-time people (i.e. most of them). Yearly salary increases became smaller and smaller while for two years in a row, I received no increase. The promotion process for faculty is cumbersome and grants the recipient a title change and a mere $500, $750, or $1000 extra in annual salary based on the faculty member's current title. Any money is good money but the process was so involved that, to me, it didn't make sense to pursue promotion because you could spend 20-30 hours compiling a promotion packet to receive two extra words on a CV and $500/year. In the end, I felt no incentive to climb this particular ladder. For this reason, I had another job that I would do on the side instead of wasting my time applying for promotions.

Advice to Management

There absolutely needs to be some radical change in how communication works here. Instead of so many directives that are announced from leadership to the rest of the campus, open two-way lines of communication must be established between all administration, staff, and faculty. These are three cogs in the same machine but I didn't get the impression that they were actually engaging each other but simply spinning in place without causing any forward motion.

3. The potential is there, but the security is not.

I worked at Iowa Western Community College

Pros

Great educators, awesome sports program. They will do whatever it takes to put a degree in your hand and get you into your field.

Cons

Constant on campus rapes, with no follow through with the police. their sports program pulls ghetto kids from their communities and gathers them in a single place and does little to contribute to the security of the life on campus.

5. The job is fun but the residents will always find a way to stress you out.

I worked at Iowa Western Community College

Pros

Fun people to work with, fun projects, team oriented, very social job.

Cons

Residents, conflicting scheduling, unpaid hours, on call weekends.

Advice to Management

Not really much to say because we were trained well, there are just so many different types of people there that there is bound to be conflict.

It Could Be Better

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Council Bluffs, IA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Council Bluffs, IA

I have been working at Iowa Western Community College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Faculty have quite a bit of freedom in what they teach, so long they follow the program goals and objectives, and the course objectives matching. Ample opportunities for promotion, though it does get tougher and more competitive at the higher ranks.

Cons

The college has an appearance that Student Services "runs" the college, the faculty have very little voice in how the college is run. An example is that the Student Services preferred choice for the Learning Management System was chosen over the Faculty's preferred choice, the Administration heard "ease of use" and went with it. The Administration tends to deride the entire faculty because of the faculty union.

Advice to Management

It's time to allow Faculty more voice in the operations of the college, especially the academic side. Bring back the Senate, because our voice has strongly diminished since the abolition of the previous Senate.

7. Good place to work

Current Employee - Director in Council Bluffs, IA
    Current Employee - Director in Council Bluffs, IA

Pros

I'm able to manage my dept. as I see fit (for the most part).

Cons

Staff aren't seen by upper management as valuable as faculty.

Advice to Management

It takes more than faculty to run a higher ed institution and treating both groups equally would go a long way. If this group gets a certain perk or raise then that should be the standard for staff as well.

8. Stay away from the student services team!

Former Employee - Advisor in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Advisor in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Iowa Western Community College full-time

Pros

Great benefits!
    Good campus, lots of growth

Cons

Don't appear to care about their employees, especially not work/life balance. Will work you to death and pretend like they will listen to your complaints, but then do nothing about them. Bad experience for me.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees if you want to have less turnover

9. IWCC - great choice

Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Council Bluffs, IA
    Former Employee - Director of Admissions in Council Bluffs, IA

I worked at Iowa Western Community College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff and faculty really believe in the community college system and are always looking for ways to improve.

Cons

VPs tend to over think staff.

Advice to Management

Empower your staff and then let me go.

10. job search

Current Employee - Continuing Education Coordinator - Business and Industry in Council Bluffs, IA

Pros

work environment is very positive

Cons

None that I know of

Advice to Management

none