Iowa Workforce Development

Be The First To
Add Photos

Elisabeth Buck

Great Benefits and Pay - Customer Relations Needs Improvement

IWD Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iowa Workforce Development full-time for more than a year

ProsAs the title indicates, the job appealed to me for the rate of pay and benefits. My manager was about 5 hours away from my office, so it was nice being able to work independently and without someone over my shoulder so to speak - loved my office, business was slow in my particular position but an overall pleasant work environment ... until I was transferred.

ConsUpon being transferred to a larger metro area, I noticed the level of customer service to people seeking assistance with unemployment or work related issues was very much below what I was used to, and it was almost disheartening. I pride myself on good customer service, and the IWD agents seemed so "jaded" in their positions they treated everyone like a bum looking for handouts. Not impressed by that behavior at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your agents that people, regardless of whether they are paying customers or not, are still deserving of human decency and the minimal level of customer service that one would expect going into any fast food restaurant. They get paid at least double the average food crew worker ... they should provide service equal to their rate of pay.

It was great going to work to assist those looking for work, but we were always short staffed.

Workforce Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Iowa Workforce Development full-time for more than a year

ProsHelping to getting out of work Iowans back to work, or increasing their job training skills.

ConsLack of additional trained staff member to better assist the clients. Too many daily breaks for some staff and supervisor's who smoked.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management would have spent more time listening to their employees to address the short-term problems maybe it would have been a better company to work for.

Great place to work! Good benefits and reasonable work hours.

Davenport, IA

I have been working at Iowa Workforce Development

ProsGood benefits (health insurance, vacation and sick leave).

ConsBeginning wage base is lower than expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate feedback given by Manager. Enjoy working at IWD!

Stable but with a warning

Market Research (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iowa Workforce Development

ProsDecent Pay, great benefits and a stable job. Great for underachievers and people those that want max amount of time with family.

ConsCan be a toxic environment for overachievers and those that want a future. Bureacracy often kills any enthusiasm you might have brought with you. Little control over your future.

Advice to Senior Managementget out from under the union contract and convert to a meritocracy. Thin out the people that have been there 20+ years but don't do anything.

When it's good it's good but when it's bad it's bad

IT Specialist IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iowa Workforce Development

ProsThe pay is good and the retirement is great. The job also is of benefit to the state of iowa so I'm doing something useful with my abilities.

ConsThere is a communication problem with management. There is a great deaal of stress with this and deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat everyone the same. Don't have favorites. Promote fairly. Let me do my job without ridiculous rules.

Worked for Iowa Workforce Development? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iowa Workforce Development reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Iowa Workforce Development CEO Elisabeth Buck. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Iowa Workforce Development employees.