Ippolita

Updated Apr 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Cavalcante

Great name, great work experience... but exhausting work culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people that work for this company are incredibly dedicated, great at their jobs, can juggle multiple job responsibilities under very tight deadlines, are fun people to work with, and are a fairly close-knit group of fantastic folks.
    The company operates on a very lean staff, so if you are young (and childless), this is a great place to work to gain amazing experience across many disciplines because you will probably be doing the tasks of 2-3 job titles, and be working late every night.
    Great name to have on your resumé if you want to stay in luxury, especially jewelry.

ConsWork/life balance: there is none. Very lean, overworked and exhausted staff.
    The only people in the company that get promotions are sales people. Everyone else just gets more work.
    Management: Horribly incompetent, political game players. They are "YES" people, looking out for themselves, and using their team to make them look good, while making everyone execute on horrible decisions/opinions and ill-conceived ideas. The good ones had the good sense to leave the company before things got too bad. The bad ones have no clue what they are doing, and some just stay holed up in their offices hoping no one notices they are there, no one ask them questions, so they can continue to collect their executive paychecks while flying under the radar and never revealing how incompetent they are.
    Several times, I asked for help as the work projects were piling up, and I was getting more and more behind. The answer I got from the head of my department was, "I don't have the budget to hire anyone else. Just keep staying late and getting the work done. You're doing a great job!" Less than a month later, instead of hiring help for me, they hired another supervisor for me. I guess THAT was in their budget. And when I finally got fed up and quit, they replaced me with three people.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhoever is hiring the Director level staff needs to have a better understanding of the job responsibilities and managerial skills needed to run a department of amazing staff. The team should not be way more competent than the heads of departments. Having YURMAN on a resumé does not necessarily mean that one has the experience needed to run a department at Ippolita.

Could be great but really falls short of their potential.

ProsPutting the brand on your resume.

ConsStruggling to create a competitive infrastructure in today's luxury market. So many great people work here with such great potential to contribute to growing the business but it's very top heavy with executives. Anyone lower really has to struggle to enjoy themselves and do a good job. It's not structured for success and no one can make even the slightest decision without 5 bosses and 5 levels of approval. My strengths are not being utilized. It's very reactionary here.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how money is spent. When high levels travel all over the world and boast about it in a company meeting while people get no bonuses, raises or comp days, it is very insulting and lowers morale tremendously.

Amazing brand with great potential

ProsBeautiful product
    Good camaraderie among staff

ConsLong-term strategy is locked within realm of upper-level management - no transparency
    More reactive than proactive
    No succession planning
    If you want to grow you'll need to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the "state of the union" with the company - they care about the brand and want to feel included in the next steps. Develop entry-level employees who want to grow with the brand.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company with explosive growth

Account Executive (Current Employee)

ProsBeautiful jewelry, hard-working people, great environment.

ConsCrazy schedule, long hours, salary depends on experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone works hard or wants to grow with the company, offer them options if you don't want to keep having people leave.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat name to have on your résumé

ConsEverything! Completely dysfunctional company. Ippolita herself has no idea what's going on in the company as she's more interested in her personal PR.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized and support your team because without you will fail.

Management is unprofessional and the company lacks organization

ProsThe company is new, great employees, good employee benefits

ConsEmployee Morale is at its worst. The company is growing faster than upper management can keep up with the changes, production is low and demand is high. Management does not accept criticism or employee input.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to implement a training and development team instead of expanding the sales and executive teams. This will provide clear and concise instruction to employees. Many of the managers should take a class on management and how to constructively communicate.

The cons outweighed the pros on a daily basis.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsEmployee discount/gifts
    Never had a problem taking vacation/sick time
    Summer Fridays
    Lunch provided by the company on the last Friday of the month in the winter
    A few respectable managers who believe in and practice professionalism

ConsNo constructive feedback until you bring a complaint to your manager - then they tell you everything you have been doing wrong for the past 9 months
    Lacking in opportunities for junior employees to further engage and/or advance
    Management would rather get on with their own work than focus on employee development
    Human Resources is through finance department and basically nonexistent
    Gossip and chatter in the work environment is beyond unprofessional
    Executive Management is condescending, unwilling to listen, and never accepts responsibility for their mistakes

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't say that you are going to do something that you are not. Pretending that you care about employee concerns is no better than just plain not caring. Further, goals and expectations should be transparent. You aren't getting anywhere by keeping secrets and managing everything from the top down.

You may get something good to put on the resume, but not a place to stay

Director Level (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing hardworking and dedicated team
    A growing company
    Amazing product - I was never a big fan of jewelry but Ippolita definitely made me appreciate it
    I learned a lot and was able to achieve a lot professionally in the time I was there

ConsManagement - Not only are they disorganized, there is a lack of competence that I always found shocking. I always thought the brand could even be doing better with a more seasoned leadership team in place. I question the upper management hiring process.
    Very reactive company and not in a business savvy way.
    Can be a very toxic environment
    Work/life balance typically does not exist
    Lack of resources AND not the right resources
    Office location and office environment are not the best either
    Lack of a full time HR person.
    I warn those who are not from David Yurman, which seems to be the only people they want. So that is a PRO if you are from David Yurman.

If you are looking for a place to be nurtured and to learn from your superiors, for the most part this is not the place to be. But if you are looking for a short term career move that would be good for your resume and you are ready to hit the ground running, give it a shot.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional. If you do not know what your team does so you can give proper feedback, don't fight it, admit it and learn something so you are able to provide the support they need. Get management training. Nurture and trust your employees. You will get a lot more out of them and they will do wonders for IPPOLITA if you let them. You have amazing people on your team, recognize that. Play nice, be real, communicate, show some respect and take responsibility. Let go of your egos from time to time. Think outside the box. IPPOLITA is special so do something different.

Great for jewelry lovers, not so great if you're seeking stability

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you're interested in the world of fine jewelry, Ippolita is an amazing place to start. The company is growing, and finding much success in recent years. Her designs are flawless, and very respected in the fine jewelry world. In some ways, the job does itself.

ConsManagement. There is nothing worse than working for a company that seems disorganized up at the top. There's also way too much traveling involved, and the company stays overly lean. That was not idea, to say the least. Employees should have work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on giving better feedback. Work on professionalism

Worked for Ippolita? Contribute to the Community!