Ipreo Reviews

Reset
2.6
Ipreo CEO Scott Ganeles
Scott Ganeles

Pros
  • Things got done (at the cost of work-life balance) (in 10 reviews)

• Some of the workers are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate and long hours (in 8 reviews)

• Working your teams to the bone: Long hours at the cost of time with your family, friends, health is normal here (in 8 reviews)

Good Technology Place

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo

Pros

Great to work on latest technologies Very good people and team

Cons

Compensation and working hours. Communication between management and teams

Advice to Management

Cascading information

Good entry level job... not much passed that

Current Employee - Global Markets Intelligence in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Markets Intelligence in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipreo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ipreo has a lot of young people that makes for a fun work environment. The company is growing fast which is cool to experience and be a part of. Client-facing individuals get early exposure to high-level executives at publicly traded companies.

Cons

Pay isn't good, especially considering how "fast we are growing." Long hours without great processes or transparency. Conflicting messages from management. We are advised to call our clients and to develop relationships with them because "clients don't fire their friends," yet when someone leaves they try to hide it and keep it under wraps. CEO seems out of touch with the rest of the company. Very persuasive, which is a positive, but does not come off as caring about the employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Especially when you are looking for us to bring in good people.

Average at best first job, not suited for long term employment

Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great deal of exposure and responsibility placed upon you shortly after starting, with opportunity to handle your own clients and workload in a somewhat autonomous environment early on. -20 paid vacation days that you are encouraged to take plus NYSE holidays, 401k match (although it doesn’t vest for about 3 years). -In GMI the hours really aren’t that bad once you figure out how your workflow operates, and even the busiest days if you are staying past 6PM it’s a choice and not a mandate at all. -Most of your peers are close in age and experience level to you, so the atmosphere is for the most part pretty laidback and collegial. Folks have gone through what you are going through and are there to train and help you out. Beers after work in the office on Thursdays and Fridays, work soccer and softball teams, plenty of (non-Ipreo sponsored) happy hours. People are generally friendly and supportive. -Can open some doors to more legitimate finance jobs or grad schools as the work builds useful skills and encourages independent learning of financial markets. The job challenges your written, spoken, and analytical skills, and I believe makes you more well-rounded than when you began. -Company does offer stipend for taking the CFA exam and BYOD phone policy. -Some managers make for a pleasant working experience and legitimately care about you, but that’s more often not the case.

Cons

-Working at Ipreo is kinda like living in your first apartment out of college. The landlords are incredibly cheap and go out of there way to withhold money from you and rip you off and refuse to fix anything you bring to their attention that is wrong, but at the same time you need someplace to live. Working at Ipreo is better than being homeless, but you are still looking to move as soon as you can. -The pay is abysmal and every single person at the company knows it. Less than half of reviews on Glassdoor recommend Ipreo to a friend, and this is by far the biggest reason why. We understand this isn’t front office, bulge-bracket Wall Street work, but paying people like it’s a part-time, social work job is insulting. In my three years at Ipreo, my salary and bonus increased less each year despite my promotions and increased responsibilities. -Executive management couldn’t care less about its employees. We are commodities, easily replaceable ones at that. I can’t stress enough how awful and degrading it was to listen to our fearless leaders in their monthly town halls that no one asked for and no one wants to hear. Here’s how they go: The president talks about these hilariously absurd growth targets the company must reach each year and tells you from April through November the company is on target and to keep up the good work. Magically, come December, “headwinds” or “unexpected expenses” have come up and whoops, sorry, no fully-funded bonus pool for the minions for the umpteenth consecutive year. However, don’t worry – he and the CEO and the rest of the now exceedingly wealthy ex-com are taken care of through their 90/10 business model, as in 90% of the profits go to the 10% at the top. What do you have to say about that, Mr. CEO? “Ka-ching!” What’s that, Mr. CEO, your employees are confused about the charade of undisclosed earnings and decreasing pay increases despite assurances to the contrary? “Ka-ching!” Mr. CEO, why are our insurance premiums sky-rocketing and coverage options dwindling? “Ka-ching!” Are you okay, Mr. CEO? It sounds like you might be broken. “Ka-ching!” Okay then, thanks for that helpful feedback the entire company was just subjected to without choice for an hour. Often the CEO will make racially insulting jokes during this part as well, so be prepared for that as well. Try to take your coffee run during these town halls, and don't rush to get back. -There is no room to enter the upper echelons at Ipreo, because doing so requires being a member of the “Old Boys Club”. Look at the directors in GMI, or for the company as a whole, and it becomes pretty startlingly obvious that all these middle-aged white men worked together at one of two prior legacy companies. If you didn’t come from that background, you will not become a director in this incestuous herd. The executive team didn’t change at all in the three years I was there, and don’t expect it to, because that would require someone else cutting into the 90/10 model, and Mr. Ka-Ching can’t have that. -Here is a healthy tidbit of how Ipreo managers view paying employees. A coworker of mine was berated for discussing his salary to colleagues at a bar by the group head. The exact quote was “real men don’t talk about salary”. Good luck getting a raise in that environment, even with added responsibilities. Remember, this is “finance”, and people aren’t doing this job out of love and self-reward for the work itself. This is not a If only Ipreo could find some “real men” to do the job. -In terms of the work itself, once you have done this job for about six months you realize there really isn’t much room for growth or else to do. After you’ve figured out how the job more or less works you basically have the same responsibilities as your director, minus managing other people. The reports and analyses run become very repetitive and require little critical thinking, and you start to wonder how important the work is. A lot of what is asked of you is basically guess work, and you are asked to send your clients emails all the time about things the company already knows or you know are probably incorrect, to the point you are a spammer and adding little value. -The turnover is extremely high and I don’t think I met anyone at my level or a bit above that was enthusiastic about working at Ipreo. It is very much a means to an end job, and that creates a less motivated workforce always searching LinkedIn for new opportunities. It’s hard to take working at Ipreo seriously when no one really does, and you find yourself at “going away” happy hours every other week. -Little to no clarity on pay raises or promotions. Everyone gets promoted and paid the exact same amount in a schedule entirely dependent on when you started. There is no reason to stay later and work harder on a project when you will get paid the same no matter what as everyone else. The company tries to tell you the pay is individually-based, but people talk to each other about the pay (guess we aren’t “real men”) and it is uniform across the board. -The experience is almost entirely dependent on your director. If you are unfortunate enough to work for a degrading and abrasive director, and there are many, you will have a miserable experience and pray for a new opportunity. If you have a relaxed and easy-going director, the experience will be tolerable and enjoyable at times, but you will still want to leave after about two years. It is crazy how divergent the experience can be simply based on whom you work for, and you have no say in what team you are on. You simply get placed based on hiring need at the time, and you are SOL if the fit isn’t good. -Our HR needs an overhaul, as does most of the company for that matter. HR in particular is kind of a mess. Our year-end bonuses and salary raises are paid in mid-March after we have yearly reviews that are written in early January, leaving the feedback almost two months stale by the time it is discussed. Every year the gap between writing semi-annual reviews and the actual in-person meeting widens, and HR continues to add new review procedures and changes the review system every year. You end up responding to the same question in 8 different ways on your written review, and your director doesn’t even go over the often useless prompts in the actual review. That process was always bad but continues to get worse. Send help. I was also involved in some interviewing for our team, and I can say HR did a pretty terrible job screening candidates for speaking with. I’m not sure HR understands what we do for work and what is important, because some people get through that have no business being in for an in-person interview. Part of that is Ipreo attracts generally awful candidates, so finding someone that can form complete sentences is such a revelation you immediately hire them, only to find out they took any other job opportunity because who wants to work for social worker wage in finance?

Advice to Management

Nothing stated in my review is news to them, they simply refuse to change. I can't wait for the company to go public and disclose how much it pays senior management to not pay employees. If you simply paid employees a little bit more, satisfaction would be much, much higher, and turnover much, much lower. But since management only cares about Ka-Ching, there will be no changes. This strategy is unsustainable and will bite you in the rear someday, and you will have had all the warning in the world. Proceed at your own peril. Hire an expensive consultant to tell you how dissatisfied employees are and why that isn't good for growth, or just listen to the choir preaching here.

5. Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere Great camaraderie among teams Rapidly growing business Ability to move up hierarchy

Cons

There were not any notable downsides to working at Ipreo

Advice to Management

None

Its a job not a career

I worked at Ipreo full-time

Pros

Good team culture, we are all in this together.

Cons

Ask how many people on the executive committee have been promoted from within in the last 10 years? Zero. Ask how the compensation is split, 90%+ to the top 20 people. No innovation, technology is 20 years behind, trying to change anything is not only impossible but will guarantee you are shown the door.

Advice to Management

None. They know the issues and its how they decided to manage the company.

OK at best

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

company keeps up with technology and is fast paced

Cons

upper management in IT is horrible

Advice to Management

treat your employees better a little respect goes a long way

Work/Life Balance

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Good work life balance so you don't need to stay at work longer than needed. Managers and your coworkers are extremely easy going.

Cons

Salary for an analyst starting out in NYC is extremely low. Salary becomes livable after roughly 3 years. Absolutely zero opportunity to move upwards within the organization.

9. Work environment and development

Current Employee - NOC Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - NOC Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Opportunity for growth and career development at Ipreo is key. Employees have the opportunity to move up in the company but moving up the latter might not be readily available. That's were gaining new skills and opportunity different challenges are available.

Cons

In the past few years the company has been growing. Many offices have have been opening up not sure what challenges may arise. This is more of an observation than a con.

Advice to Management

with the evidence of company growth also keep opportunities for employees to grow to fill those new positions.

OK at best

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

- There are some nice, friendly and helpful people - A stepping stone in your career before getting a real Wall Street job

Cons

- The salaries are extremely low - HIgh turnover - Meager salary increases and yet you have to listen to the out-of-touch CEO hear how well the company is doing. - Limited growth potential within the company.

Advice to Management

Start listening and adequately rewarding your employees and there will be less turnover. Having some class could be helpful as well.

All about EXECS! EXECS! No employees

Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much pro. other than you learn alot, get promoted with no pay, and unless it's bonus time you are told how great you are. But don't make a mistake because if you are under the CTO or GMI or Equity's. that's all they see. Then your bonus, raise are out the door as well as being threatened that you will lose your job. As if it is a privilege to work for them. Sorry this is suppose to be the pros section. The pros are if you are upper upper management or an Executive. They get all the money and get bonuses and raises, stocks the whole nine. But god forbid anyone that works for them (Most of them) that are not in the inner circle or family. Forget if you work hard. The money you will never see. Sorry pros..pros.

Cons

THE PAY IS AN EMBARRASSMENT! Always salary check before taking a position there. They suck you dry but don't spit you out; but do his or her mind control to make you feel like they will fire you. They still expect you to stay. It's like being in an abusive relationship! It's a trickle down effect when things are bad. but a leap and bound effect trying to make a living. You can't even trust the people there that are suppose to be for the employees because they are for the managers. The town halls are all about how great the company is doing all year. Bonus time; " We didn't hit our mark overall the bonuses may not be well, but we are fighting with our owners to get you money but it's going to be tight this year". But all year everything was great.

Advice to Management

The bad apple(s) on the exec board may never leave so things may never change! I'm not the only one saying pay people more, listen to your employees or appreciate the people that are not the money makers with a little gratitude and pay.. If you give 5% of all the money the Execs get in bonuses and raises and give it their employees...oh I forgot they do do that if you are part of "the inner click"

RSS Feed </> Embed