Ipreo Reviews

Reset
2.7
Ipreo CEO Scott Ganeles
Scott Ganeles

Pros
  • Things got done (at the cost of work-life balance) (in 10 reviews)

• Some of the workers are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover rate and long hours (in 8 reviews)

• Working your teams to the bone: Long hours at the cost of time with your family, friends, health is normal here (in 8 reviews)

1. Learn a lot for low compensation

Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ipreo (Less than a year)

Pros

Very steep learning curve - can count on teammates but not particularly on your boss

Cons

low compensation and long hours - bosses and clients are generally not appreciative of effort

Advice to Management

better compensation

Good entry level job... not much passed that

Current Employee - Global Markets Intelligence in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Markets Intelligence in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipreo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ipreo has a lot of young people that makes for a fun work environment. The company is growing fast which is cool to experience and be a part of. Client-facing individuals get early exposure to high-level executives at publicly traded companies.

Cons

Pay isn't good, especially considering how "fast we are growing." Long hours without great processes or transparency. Conflicting messages from management. We are advised to call our clients and to develop relationships with them because "clients don't fire their friends," yet when someone leaves they try to hide it and keep it under wraps. CEO seems out of touch with the rest of the company. Very persuasive, which is a positive, but does not come off as caring about the employees.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees. Especially when you are looking for us to bring in good people.

3. Great place to start

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Good experience and way to get into finance.

Cons

Pay is on the low end of the spectrum.

Average at best first job, not suited for long term employment

Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Global Markets Intelligence Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great deal of exposure and responsibility placed upon you shortly after starting, with opportunity to handle your own clients and workload in a somewhat autonomous environment early on. -20 paid vacation days that you are encouraged to take plus NYSE holidays, 401k match (although it doesn’t vest for about 3 years). -In GMI the hours really aren’t that bad once you figure out how your workflow operates, and even the busiest days if you are staying past 6PM it’s a choice and not a mandate at all. -Most of your peers are close in age and experience level to you, so the atmosphere is for the most part pretty laidback and collegial. Folks have gone through what you are going through and are there to train and help you out. Beers after work in the office on Thursdays and Fridays, work soccer and softball teams, plenty of (non-Ipreo sponsored) happy hours. People are generally friendly and supportive. -Can open some doors to more legitimate finance jobs or grad schools as the work builds useful skills and encourages independent learning of financial markets. The job challenges your written, spoken, and analytical skills, and I believe makes you more well-rounded than when you began. -Company does offer stipend for taking the CFA exam and BYOD phone policy. -Some managers make for a pleasant working experience and legitimately care about you, but that’s more often not the case.

Cons

-Working at Ipreo is kinda like living in your first apartment out of college. The landlords are incredibly cheap and go out of there way to withhold money from you and rip you off and refuse to fix anything you bring to their attention that is wrong, but at the same time you need someplace to live. Working at Ipreo is better than being homeless, but you are still looking to move as soon as you can. -The pay is abysmal and every single person at the company knows it. Less than half of reviews on Glassdoor recommend Ipreo to a friend, and this is by far the biggest reason why. We understand this isn’t front office, bulge-bracket Wall Street work, but paying people like it’s a part-time, social work job is insulting. In my three years at Ipreo, my salary and bonus increased less each year despite my promotions and increased responsibilities. -Executive management couldn’t care less about its employees. We are commodities, easily replaceable ones at that. I can’t stress enough how awful and degrading it was to listen to our fearless leaders in their monthly town halls that no one asked for and no one wants to hear. Here’s how they go: The president talks about these hilariously absurd growth targets the company must reach each year and tells you from April through November the company is on target and to keep up the good work. Magically, come December, “headwinds” or “unexpected expenses” have come up and whoops, sorry, no fully-funded bonus pool for the minions for the umpteenth consecutive year. However, don’t worry – he and the CEO and the rest of the now exceedingly wealthy ex-com are taken care of through their 90/10 business model, as in 90% of the profits go to the 10% at the top. What do you have to say about that, Mr. CEO? “Ka-ching!” What’s that, Mr. CEO, your employees are confused about the charade of undisclosed earnings and decreasing pay increases despite assurances to the contrary? “Ka-ching!” Mr. CEO, why are our insurance premiums sky-rocketing and coverage options dwindling? “Ka-ching!” Are you okay, Mr. CEO? It sounds like you might be broken. “Ka-ching!” Okay then, thanks for that helpful feedback the entire company was just subjected to without choice for an hour. Often the CEO will make racially insulting jokes during this part as well, so be prepared for that as well. Try to take your coffee run during these town halls, and don't rush to get back. -There is no room to enter the upper echelons at Ipreo, because doing so requires being a member of the “Old Boys Club”. Look at the directors in GMI, or for the company as a whole, and it becomes pretty startlingly obvious that all these middle-aged white men worked together at one of two prior legacy companies. If you didn’t come from that background, you will not become a director in this incestuous herd. The executive team didn’t change at all in the three years I was there, and don’t expect it to, because that would require someone else cutting into the 90/10 model, and Mr. Ka-Ching can’t have that. -Here is a healthy tidbit of how Ipreo managers view paying employees. A coworker of mine was berated for discussing his salary to colleagues at a bar by the group head. The exact quote was “real men don’t talk about salary”. Good luck getting a raise in that environment, even with added responsibilities. Remember, this is “finance”, and people aren’t doing this job out of love and self-reward for the work itself. This is not a If only Ipreo could find some “real men” to do the job. -In terms of the work itself, once you have done this job for about six months you realize there really isn’t much room for growth or else to do. After you’ve figured out how the job more or less works you basically have the same responsibilities as your director, minus managing other people. The reports and analyses run become very repetitive and require little critical thinking, and you start to wonder how important the work is. A lot of what is asked of you is basically guess work, and you are asked to send your clients emails all the time about things the company already knows or you know are probably incorrect, to the point you are a spammer and adding little value. -The turnover is extremely high and I don’t think I met anyone at my level or a bit above that was enthusiastic about working at Ipreo. It is very much a means to an end job, and that creates a less motivated workforce always searching LinkedIn for new opportunities. It’s hard to take working at Ipreo seriously when no one really does, and you find yourself at “going away” happy hours every other week. -Little to no clarity on pay raises or promotions. Everyone gets promoted and paid the exact same amount in a schedule entirely dependent on when you started. There is no reason to stay later and work harder on a project when you will get paid the same no matter what as everyone else. The company tries to tell you the pay is individually-based, but people talk to each other about the pay (guess we aren’t “real men”) and it is uniform across the board. -The experience is almost entirely dependent on your director. If you are unfortunate enough to work for a degrading and abrasive director, and there are many, you will have a miserable experience and pray for a new opportunity. If you have a relaxed and easy-going director, the experience will be tolerable and enjoyable at times, but you will still want to leave after about two years. It is crazy how divergent the experience can be simply based on whom you work for, and you have no say in what team you are on. You simply get placed based on hiring need at the time, and you are SOL if the fit isn’t good. -Our HR needs an overhaul, as does most of the company for that matter. HR in particular is kind of a mess. Our year-end bonuses and salary raises are paid in mid-March after we have yearly reviews that are written in early January, leaving the feedback almost two months stale by the time it is discussed. Every year the gap between writing semi-annual reviews and the actual in-person meeting widens, and HR continues to add new review procedures and changes the review system every year. You end up responding to the same question in 8 different ways on your written review, and your director doesn’t even go over the often useless prompts in the actual review. That process was always bad but continues to get worse. Send help. I was also involved in some interviewing for our team, and I can say HR did a pretty terrible job screening candidates for speaking with. I’m not sure HR understands what we do for work and what is important, because some people get through that have no business being in for an in-person interview. Part of that is Ipreo attracts generally awful candidates, so finding someone that can form complete sentences is such a revelation you immediately hire them, only to find out they took any other job opportunity because who wants to work for social worker wage in finance?

Advice to Management

Nothing stated in my review is news to them, they simply refuse to change. I can't wait for the company to go public and disclose how much it pays senior management to not pay employees. If you simply paid employees a little bit more, satisfaction would be much, much higher, and turnover much, much lower. But since management only cares about Ka-Ching, there will be no changes. This strategy is unsustainable and will bite you in the rear someday, and you will have had all the warning in the world. Proceed at your own peril. Hire an expensive consultant to tell you how dissatisfied employees are and why that isn't good for growth, or just listen to the choir preaching here.

Horrible company, inept management, rampant nepotism, aggressive and hostile culture

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

The location is okay but you shouldn't choose a company based on location alone especially this one.

Cons

The culture at Ipreo is one of the worst I’ve encountered. The only way to succeed is to take part in the backstabbing, throw someone under the bus culture. This is a constant here. When someone sends you an email it’s usually in an accusatory tone and they copy your boss, their bosses and tons of other people. This is the norm here. If you are not attacking someone you will be asked by senior management why you are not highlighting issues and they will tell you to stop being complacent. If you continue to try to rise above the backstabbing you will find yourself attacked especially senior management. Senior management survives by blaming staff whenever there are problems. They also hire their family and friends even if they have no relevant experience. Product and tech teams regularly blame each other for issues and there is constant fighting between the teams. All of this and the pay is well below market, the increases are a joke and the hours are too long. Benefits are mediocre, you only get 20 PTO days and that includes vacation, sick time and personal days. The cost of the medical plans rise every year. BEWARE THE POSITIVE REVIEWS ARE FAKE. They are written by managers who troll glassdoor and try to figure out who wrote a negative review. If they think you wrote a negative review they try to make your life hell which is why most of us write the review once we’ve resigned. I should have listened to the reviews I read on here and never joined. When you interview everyone will be friendly and will tell you how great it is to work here and how the company is growing. Most of the openings are replacement positions, though they will change a title so they can say it’s a not replacement position. Don’t believe the hype. The negative reviews are true. Stay away! This is a very hostile work environment and you’ll regret coming here.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing senior management to create such a hostile environment.

Good Technology Place

Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo

Pros

Great to work on latest technologies Very good people and team

Cons

Compensation and working hours. Communication between management and teams

Advice to Management

Cascading information

No fun

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

lots of autonomy once you re settled in

Cons

everything else...not a great place to be long term. Unbelievably high turnover.

9. Opportunities at a Medium Size Company

I have been working at Ipreo full-time

Pros

A small company with lots of great exposure to upper management if you work to take advantage of the opportunities.

Cons

Most groups don't get good exposure to other teams/groups/clients. There is also a pretty flat structure with big jumps at the top.

Advice to Management

Ipreo is growing incredibly fast but sometimes all of the pressure of delivering revenue growth gets put on the youngest analysts. Also at times it can be Ibanking hours without the salary.

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Ipreo (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere Great camaraderie among teams Rapidly growing business Ability to move up hierarchy

Cons

There were not any notable downsides to working at Ipreo

Advice to Management

None

Great place to start, under-market pay and limited advancement opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ipreo full-time

Pros

Friendly and casual workplace with lots of development opportunities. Great work/life balance and community involvement.

Cons

Very limited advancement opportunities from research. Non-competitive entry-level salary.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries.

RSS Feed </> Embed