Ipreo

Updated February 27, 2015
2.9

Ipreo CEO Scott Ganeles
Scott Ganeles

Pros
  • Things got done (at the cost of work-life balance) (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, fun place, good management team (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The high turnover rate is due to the lack of vertical mobility and stagnant salaries (in 8 reviews)

• Hard work is unappreciated and long hours are required (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good First Job

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Ipreo full-time

Pros

Hires out of college with relatively little experience
    Gives you a lot of great experience
    Lots of cool people

Cons

Low Pay, Mandatory long hours (even if you have nothing pressing to work on)
    Massive disconnect between HR/Upper Management and Middle Management
    You will be yelled at frequently for not knowing things you have no possible way of knowing
    Constant turnover means you will constantly be increasing workload and responsibilities with no matching increase in compensation

Pay people more to keep talent around

GMI: Great Opportunity for the Right Person

Current Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Ipreo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fast paced learning and market involvement, with young and smart colleagues. Days go by very fast and the hours are reasonable, and once you learn the skill-set, days vary widely and you can basically organize your own day and client relationships. Great exposure to executive management of the largest companies in the world. My team all generally enjoys coming to work and we're learning a ton about the way the capital markets work. One of the best parts of coming to work are my colleagues, who are fun and motivated. We work together a ton to problem solve and report for clients. Compensation seems to be pretty competitive for those who excel, though it's not handed to you on a plate just for showing up. In terms of training, there seems to be a big emphasis on education and this grows more and more as I've been here.

Cons

Certain clients treat you more like a vendor than a consultant, and it's challenging to win them over. I'd like more opportunities to visit clients and present our work and build relationships.

Continue to plan educational and experiental opportunities for analysts. We really enjoy them.

Account Management Intern

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Currently working on the Downtown Manhattan location (65 Broadway):

- The Account Management team is very nice and supportive of interns
    - Intern contributions actually directly affect clients
    - A lot of good food in the area

Cons

Very little time available to get to know the Account Managers since they have their own schedules and have to be close to the phone in order to talk to clients.

GMI Analyst

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Great company to work at and teaches you lot about global capital markets

Cons

I don't have any complaints about the job

Management is great and very encouraging

Outstanding, high-growth company with a strong culture oriented towards teamwork, accountability and results.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Ipreo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Office culture is fast-paced and collaborative, which is driven top-down from Management
    2. Flat organization, in which strong, junior performers have clear path to greater responsibility
    3. High-growth company in a high-growth industry (ie, fintech)

Cons

1. Office Wifi connection is not strong
    2. As a high growth company, Ipreo naturally experiences the growing pains of any company that has scaled rapidly over a very short time frame; Ipreo is actively addressing these challenges; for example, the company is rolling out a new and improved YE Review program in 2015.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great place to start a career

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

Career development, training, mentorship, the company has great values and great vacation time. Middle management really helps foster new employees

Cons

compensation below market, can be difficult to move up the ladder. Ipreo could stand to give out better bonuses and compensation given that they have been acquired by some fairly large companies.

pay more and people would consider staying longer

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Product Analyst in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Product Analyst in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Ipreo

Pros

Free coffee, expensive chairs, I don't have a lot of pros but I have to fill this space. I met some great people who seemed to be in the same boat as me and I really enjoyed being around those people.

Cons

My time at Ipreo was full of stress, demanding and unappreciative managers, zero work-life balance and way too much work for one person. The New York City way of life, working your life away and never spending time with your family, is NOT ok in Raleigh.

Upper Management treat younger and lower ranked employees as if they are interns and never step in to help with work loads. When people leave, which is often, no one ever replaces them which means the extra workload is dumped on everyone else. Forget about getting a raise, that's not gonna happen. Forget about having a free Saturday or week night, you're expected to work. You didn't answer an email within 5 minutes, you'll probably get a lecture about how you're never available, even if you've worked from 9:00am to midnight multiple days that week, plus the past 4+ Saturdays.

20 Paid Time Off days sounds lovely, if you ever get to use them. Your days off could depend on a million other people on your team, so if a favored employee or a manager want the days you put in for months prior, that's too bad because they will get the days and you won't. I was always told that "it took a lot" for them to approve my vacation days yet this was never the case for the rest of the team. Since there is so much work and not a lot of people to do it it must be easier to just make the employee stay at the office.

Don't screw up in anyway, your manager will schedule random meetings to tell you how terrible you are and blame you for whatever the situation is. They will NEVER take the blame, if they check your work and provide incorrect information, it's your fault for sending it out with wrong data. If you have a concern and actually go to your manager to discuss it, it's quickly turned into a "you" issue, so why bother? Most people are miserable and are trying to leave, but they don't have time outside of work to do anything.

I have never been around managers who thrive off mind games, it really makes for a nightmare of a work environment. Also, being in an open floor layout with top managers who constantly yell at people on the phone or across the room so they don't have to get up is SO DISTRACTING! Put these people in an office, and teach them to handle issues in other ways, not yelling at adults as if they are children! This does NOT create a strong work environment, it puts stress on everyone who has to hear it and is difficult to talk to clients when there is so much angry yelling at team members in the background!

Appreciate your lower level employees, your turnover rates would decrease significantly if you would treat them better, this includes giving them the correct pay for the amount of work they do!

Get rid of these awful managers, they may understand the products but that does NOT mean they do well managing people. Also, they need to get a life, just because they have nothing else to do but work doesn't mean that's what everyone wants to do with their spare time, people want to live their lives OUTSIDE work!

Figure out the work-life balance because for some groups at Ipreo this does not exist. People get burned out which makes them mad and not care. Do you really want employees who don't care? Do you think working them to death is going to make them more productive? NO, they end up angry and bitter and miserable.

If you're desperate, then its an option

I have been working at Ipreo

Pros

-Ipreo will be a fit for some, and not for others. If you enjoy doing the same reports every day, week, month with little variation day to day, then this is your place.
    -20 PTO days is a good amount considering the industry

Cons

-Monotonous work, and this can't be expressed enough.
    -Managers, senior analysts, analysts are all doing the same work. There is little to no variation between the tasks. The main difference is that the senior employees just do a whole lot less of it.
    -Promotions are based solely on tenure, not performance. Which leads to mediocrity among employees
    -Lots of micromanaging from the upper levels. Makes it hard to be independent
    -You are essentially required to cold call trading desks, PMs, HF analysts for quotes about your clients stock. Whoever you get a hold off has no incentive to speak with you and gives little insight.

Listen to your employees. Its not a secret that most analysts leave within 1-2 years of employment because the pay is a joke. Bring it up to industry standards, pay overtime, and treat your employees fair. Overtime is a regular part of the job and you are never noticed for working long hours.

Great place to work

I worked at Ipreo

Pros

Lot of good work. Nice teams. Exposure to latest technology. Great compensation. Great people.

Cons

Opportunity to grow is a little tough. Have to wait for a long time to go to next level. Some people are hard to deal with.

Promotions should be given on a regular basis. Training employees is key.

good place to work for a few years.

I worked at Ipreo

Pros

good people, challenging work. Days are not too long and the people are friendly. There is now a good focus on training and team building

Cons

Not much upward movement, there is a stern focus on accountability

Listen to your employees