Ipsos

Ipsos Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot

Didier Truchot

Pros
  • emerging as one of the most comprehensive market research entities on a global scale(in 24 reviews)

• Flexibility with work schedules, great people on the team(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Management acts like they own you - there is no work-life balance other than lip service paid to the concept(in 22 reviews)

• Some extremely dull work, long hours for which you are not recognised, poor pay(in 21 reviews)

Tiresome

ProsGood for your resume, leadership is improving, opportunities to learn and work outside of team, commitment to training ( though it doesn't always apply, and there isn't always follow up training)

ConsSalary could be better, expected to do more over time for the same pay. In ASI if you're not copy testing it's like you don't exist to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with promotions and salaries. Loyalty and hard work should be valued (put your money where your mouth is.) Threatening to leave shouldn't be the way to get a promotion or salary increase.

Horrible place. Stay away.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe resume would feature a big research company, and you'll have an opportunity of working with world's most popular companies and brands. But, that's about it.

ConsNo work-life balance.
    Too much restructuring and moving people around.
    No sense of community in the organization. People in one office won't even know the names of all working around them. Very impersonal.
    Too much of time spent in checking work produced by others, and other aesthetics of client deliverables.
    I found myself too often filling-in on projects that I was not managing, because of lack of resources on other teams. This just showed poor planning and management of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sensitive to the fact that employees have a life beyond work. There may be personal commitments that people, especially those with families, may have.
    Have some system of providing feedback on your managers/supervisors for their commitment to nurturing a team.

Absolutely dreadful place to work.

Research Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAbsolutely no pros whatsoever, worst company I've ever worked for. So cheap they make employees pay for their own 'celebratory' events and the toilets at their offices are literally overflowing with excrement. An apt analogy for the senior management of the company I think...

ConsIncompetent management, lazy senior staff who only turn up to the office when they can be bothered, junior staff are treated terribly and paid peanuts, self-obsessed egotistical CEO, disgusting filthy offices which should be condemned, lazy directors, high staff churn, boring repetitive work, no interest in developing junior staff, ridiculously low wage increases. All in all a complete disaster of a company that should be avoided at all costs!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the terrible management you have in place, pay some attention to staff needs and development and maybe you could marginally improve the hell that is working for Ipsos Mori.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, Awful management in internal finance and promotions/career progressions are based on favoritism

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsPeople are overall very nice to work with and the company will invest in your education if you want to study for an accountancy qualification. Finance teams do arrange meals and team events.

ConsDo not expect to be promoted or recommended if your work is good as the upper management do not look at your quality of work or the suitability of yourself. Do not expect to make a career here as it is based more on whether you get along with the management staff and whether they like your personality and your ability to get along with them as opposed to the performance of your work. Upper management work off favoritism rather than your individual performance or quality of work. Your work can be poor or average standard but if you get along with management then you are likely to get a promotion.
    Also a lot of internal politics and micromanagement in the work place to the point where it will dampen your morale. Expect to do a lot of overtime with little appreciation from upper management.

Poor company work culture, not a recommended place

DATA PROCESSING Executive (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFree breakfast and early time off on friday

ConsCompany politics are common, poor leader management and guidance.If they don't need you, they will just ask you to leave. No job security to mention.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

Think carefully before working here

ProsThere are many very smart, very experienced researchers here.

Cons-Extremely long days - quite a few people work 50-65 hour weeks.
    -Very limited support. There are not enough junior people to get work done.
    -The pay is very low, they make you feel like you should be grateful that you have a job.
    -Bonuses are almost unheard of - it doesn't matter how hard you work.
    -This is not a family friendly company.
    -There are VERY FEW women who have senior positions - it is definitely a boys club and you have to be able to play office politics to get ahead.
    -Hard work is not recognized or rewarded.
    -Terrible management.
    -In order to get your studies done you have to work with IIS (Ipsos Interactive Services) but both sides are battling for bottom line. The company could launch studies for much less if they used outside vendors.
    -Not able to work from home.
    -No flexibility.

No work/life balance

Proslocations all over the globe, many different areas of research to expand skill sets

Conslong work hours, no work/life balance, low pay compared to other companies

Good place to learn, start research career.

Vice President (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Proslearning opportunities, rub elbows with smart people, move to other offices worldwide.

ConsLike most research agencies, long hours, as responsibilities increase so does emphasis on sales. Like most large agencies, emphasis on pushing standard products , approaches.

No decent pay

Interviewer (Current Employee)

ProsWork from home no wardrobe expense.

ConsThe pay is terrible. They think that just because you work from home they don't have to pay regular cost of living increases and think that they can cut your shifts and that you don't have expenses related to the place you live in, which is incidentally, the place they are using to make money. They don't compensate you for use of your utilities or printer ink and they expect you to print out lists etc. and they don't give proper bonus' for performance but they give pay reductions for less than perfect scores after 500 hours of hard work. There's incentives but they are like the lottery. They only do draws of every body working if the whole team scores a certain flow rate or number of competes and then it's piddly amounts of 5 dollars or 30 dollars and only if you're lucky enough to win the draw. And so one person out of a team of twenty or more actually gets rewarded for everyone's hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a proper pay structure, I am quitting to pursue a better paying job where there is actual appreciation for hard work and results.

Horrible

Interviewer (Former Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsNone. This place is so depressing I honestly have nothing good to say about them. They are a shady company that treats employees horribly. I started with Synovate which was ok but when Ipsos took over it all deteriorated. Horible, demoralizing unappreciative. Should I go on?

ConsEverything! Low pay, harassment, bad employee reviews so they don't have to pay bonuses, treat employees like slave labor, takes employee's whole paycheck, force sick people to come back from leave early, no incentive to work just constant putdowns

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up your Fresno Office, and your HR department in Canada. Learn United States and California labor laws and treat your employees like people not cattle. Also stop forcing interviewers to harass respondents. Better yet sell back to Synovate!!!!!!

Worked for Ipsos? Contribute to the Community!