Ipsos

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Pros
  • More often than not, they have positions for part-time market research/survey interviewer (in 26 reviews)

• OK working environment and friendly colleagues (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Excessive hours; they could care less about a work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Some extremely dull work, long hours for which you are not recognised, poor pay (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Dysfunctional

I worked at Ipsos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many people there are smart.

Cons

The most unprofessional, dysfunctional place imaginable. Gossip runs wild, starting at the highest levels. What a nightmare to work there! Excessive hours; they could care less about a work/life balance. Factory for churning out reports/data. No people development.

Overall Good place to work

I have been working at Ipsos

Pros

smart and interesting people. everyone is always willing to help out if someone needs it. team is great to work for.

Cons

protocols are different when working with our divisions. ops is a little slow and can't really help if project is outside the norm.

Great company struggling to not lose what made it great ever since Synovate acquisition

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Ipsos attracts really smart people, and my division was full of both smart and good people. Ultimately, I remained at Ipsos longer than I should have career-wise because I enjoyed the work and loved my colleagues.

If you start your career here, there will definitely be room for you to learn and grow your career over time. They offer terrific training (Ipsos University) as well, which is there for the taking.

Cons

Compensation is not great compared to competitors (and certainly not compared to corporate/client side).

The culture and general management has been suffering since the Synovate acquisition--rather than what made Ipsos great helping to make Synovate better, the ills and weaknesses that plagued Synovate have bled into Ipsos. While this varies by division, being a matrix organization, the company generally (and certain divisions specifically) is blind to this infection and struggling to stay on track performance-wise as a result.

If you move to Ipsos mid-career, be prepared, you may likely find that room for growth will be limited...exec level positions tend not to open often and, when they do, too often are filled by outside hires than inside promotions.

Changing environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Industry leading products. Good people though many are leaving.

Cons

Too management heavy. Seem to be losing a lot of experienced employees.

Retain your long-term employees

Learned alot- but all about REVENUE

Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people I worked were pleasant. I developed some great relationships.
    Established & developed sound project management experience.
    Was exposed to a wide array of clients and research methodologies

Cons

Even if you deserved a promotion, you may not get it if you made "too" much money for your title or your teams revenue wasn't as strong as they wanted. I knew of entry level PD's that would get promoted faster, because they started out at such a lower pay range. So it was easy to move them up, since technically they were being underpaid already. They had no clue what other PD's or Sr. PD's made, so didn't even realize it. There was ALOT of shuffling from team to team, so you rarely had any consistency when it came to managers. That said, it was hard for anyone to "invest" in your growth as things were constantly changing. During my time there,, I had appx 8 managers. Really?
    Lastly, before I left, people were really overworked. It was also after the Synovate buyout, the moral was SO LOW. Once acquiring Synovate peoples titles didn't align very nicely, so people with higher titles/pays were doing much more junior tasks (and vice versa). It was really insulting!

Make titles and pay ranges fair and consistent.
    Show support of one another in management. I witnessed alot of pettiness and back stabbing.

Project Director - IUU

Current Employee - Project Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Project Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location and free parking are good for employees. Easy to get an entry level position.

Cons

Constant management and employee turnover. Management lacks professionalism. Low salaries and experience is not taken into consideration. No clear vision or direction. Terrible work life balance.

Respect current employees and do not burn them out. Give promotions where deserved and not to those that complain the most.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work schedules, great people on the team.

Cons

No work/life balance. No empathy for people who are working nights and weekends, as it is expected. Little respect for people who actually execute the research. Processes are cumbersome -- things that should be easy are challenging to get through the "system". Feedback to management falls on deaf ears, as the focus is SALES SALES SALES. Often sell things that we have no idea how to execute and then we have to figure things out on the fly. The pressure often drives people to quit.

Revisit the revenue to staffing model. Need more Project Directors vs. PhD's. It doesn't matter how much research is sold if we can't deliver or deliver with poor quality.

Unstable, unkind

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Some decent clients who appreciate your work

Cons

no guidance, no very interesting work - very cookie cutter

Consider why there is such high turnover, especially those who work under certain VP's

Overworked, Underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Ipsos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training and mentoring are reasonably good. They made it rather easy to get a start in the company, and yearly reviews made it possible to advance within the company.

Cons

There is a lot of work being out-sourced, which has led to reduced quality. Those left in the U.S. have watched their co-workers drift away through attrition and not replaced. This resulted in unreasonable workloads, as the remaining associates had to cover the work, usually through unpaid overtime. Morale was dismal when I left.

Management is deaf to problems. The same points were brought up time and time again though yearly or bi-yearly surveys, but never addressed.

Good people; growing pains

Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ipsos as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good smart people; good client base

Cons

Company committed to a major client on an exclusive contract, and scrambled to staff it adequately. May have sacrificed quality to meet deadlines. Good committed staff, tough situation.

Ipsos Photos