Ipsos

Updated December 16, 2014
3.1

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Pros
  • More often than not, they have positions for part-time market research/survey interviewer (in 26 reviews)

• OK working environment and friendly colleagues (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Excessive hours; they could care less about a work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Some extremely dull work, long hours for which you are not recognised, poor pay (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Unstable, unkind

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Some decent clients who appreciate your work

Cons

no guidance, no very interesting work - very cookie cutter

Consider why there is such high turnover, especially those who work under certain VP's

Learned alot- but all about REVENUE

Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people I worked were pleasant. I developed some great relationships.
    Established & developed sound project management experience.
    Was exposed to a wide array of clients and research methodologies

Cons

Even if you deserved a promotion, you may not get it if you made "too" much money for your title or your teams revenue wasn't as strong as they wanted. I knew of entry level PD's that would get promoted faster, because they started out at such a lower pay range. So it was easy to move them up, since technically they were being underpaid already. They had no clue what other PD's or Sr. PD's made, so didn't even realize it. There was ALOT of shuffling from team to team, so you rarely had any consistency when it came to managers. That said, it was hard for anyone to "invest" in your growth as things were constantly changing. During my time there,, I had appx 8 managers. Really?
    Lastly, before I left, people were really overworked. It was also after the Synovate buyout, the moral was SO LOW. Once acquiring Synovate peoples titles didn't align very nicely, so people with higher titles/pays were doing much more junior tasks (and vice versa). It was really insulting!

Make titles and pay ranges fair and consistent.
    Show support of one another in management. I witnessed alot of pettiness and back stabbing.

Changing environment

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ipsos

Pros

Industry leading products. Good people though many are leaving.

Cons

Too management heavy. Seem to be losing a lot of experienced employees.

Retain your long-term employees

Project Director - IUU

Current Employee - Project Director in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Project Director in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location and free parking are good for employees. Easy to get an entry level position.

Cons

Constant management and employee turnover. Management lacks professionalism. Low salaries and experience is not taken into consideration. No clear vision or direction. Terrible work life balance.

Respect current employees and do not burn them out. Give promotions where deserved and not to those that complain the most.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work schedules, great people on the team.

Cons

No work/life balance. No empathy for people who are working nights and weekends, as it is expected. Little respect for people who actually execute the research. Processes are cumbersome -- things that should be easy are challenging to get through the "system". Feedback to management falls on deaf ears, as the focus is SALES SALES SALES. Often sell things that we have no idea how to execute and then we have to figure things out on the fly. The pressure often drives people to quit.

Revisit the revenue to staffing model. Need more Project Directors vs. PhD's. It doesn't matter how much research is sold if we can't deliver or deliver with poor quality.

Overworked, Underpaid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Ipsos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The training and mentoring are reasonably good. They made it rather easy to get a start in the company, and yearly reviews made it possible to advance within the company.

Cons

There is a lot of work being out-sourced, which has led to reduced quality. Those left in the U.S. have watched their co-workers drift away through attrition and not replaced. This resulted in unreasonable workloads, as the remaining associates had to cover the work, usually through unpaid overtime. Morale was dismal when I left.

Management is deaf to problems. The same points were brought up time and time again though yearly or bi-yearly surveys, but never addressed.

Good people; growing pains

Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Research Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Ipsos as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good smart people; good client base

Cons

Company committed to a major client on an exclusive contract, and scrambled to staff it adequately. May have sacrificed quality to meet deadlines. Good committed staff, tough situation.

It's all about lining their pockets

Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ipsos gets that customer service gets repeat business, so encourages behavior that gets good customer reviews.

Cons

Research is secondary, culture is internally competitive and heavily siloed (you're on your own!), and it's a sweat-shop mentality. If you killed yourself to get great results last year, you're rewarded by a high goal and no help - you made it last year, so obviously there are enough people, right? Never go the extra mile at Ipsos!

If you really want to get turnover down, find a more rational way of setting workloads that rewards loyalty and effort instead of punishing it.

Tiresome

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Good for your resume, leadership is improving, opportunities to learn and work outside of team, commitment to training ( though it doesn't always apply, and there isn't always follow up training)

Cons

Salary could be better, expected to do more over time for the same pay. In ASI if you're not copy testing it's like you don't exist to management.

Be fair with promotions and salaries. Loyalty and hard work should be valued (put your money where your mouth is.) Threatening to leave shouldn't be the way to get a promotion or salary increase.

Horrible place. Stay away.

I worked at Ipsos full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The resume would feature a big research company, and you'll have an opportunity of working with world's most popular companies and brands. But, that's about it.

Cons

No work-life balance.
    Too much restructuring and moving people around.
    No sense of community in the organization. People in one office won't even know the names of all working around them. Very impersonal.
    Too much of time spent in checking work produced by others, and other aesthetics of client deliverables.
    I found myself too often filling-in on projects that I was not managing, because of lack of resources on other teams. This just showed poor planning and management of projects.

Be sensitive to the fact that employees have a life beyond work. There may be personal commitments that people, especially those with families, may have.
    Have some system of providing feedback on your managers/supervisors for their commitment to nurturing a team.

Ipsos Photos