Ipswitch

Ipswitch Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Not yet rated.

Joe Krivickas

For the most part, its a good company to work for.

Software Developer (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefit package is excellent.
    The pay is competitive.
    Good work/life balance.
    The company donates a lot of money to charities and gives you the opportunity to have your donations matched. On certain anniversary dates, they will even donate money in your name to your favorite charity.
    The company offers perks and events during the year to keep employees motivated.

ConsThe company has multiple locations and each location has its own culture. Whether or not, you have a good work environment depends a lot of where you are located and who the head person in that area may be.
    There seems to be a lot of high level corporate people with vague titles and job duties.
    When budgets get tight, the company often lets talented lower-level individuals go in order to keep managers that provide no real benefit to the company.

First layer of hopes lead to second layer of concern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTimes have changed and the product remains. Our customers are pretty much loyal users. Health benefits and coworkers are good.

ConsThree years ago Ipswitch stopped cold and since have been slowly fading. Management talks change but gives no clear direction and aren't held accountable for indecision or poor decision. Harping on people, fingerpointing, blamegame, fear management are toxic causing many good peeps to leave or set up to fail then fired. Even a few good executives. New CEO has the idea joystick but the game is worn.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange out the old timers then find a trustworthy HR department. Rebuild trust then create employee focused culture that is long overdue. If you don't get the employees to feel good about today they won't last another three years.

Avoid this company at all costs- you have been forewarned

ProsGood benefits
    Average to sub-average pay

ConsFear-based leadership/management vs. character-based leadership
    Major product issues- archaic, 90% of evaluators need help to install the product
    Even greater process issues- these are not fixed by sales/sales engineering to avoid self-incrimination
    "We hide things from founder- it's better that way"- actual quote from Sales
    Very little to non-existent accountability/urgency
    Low-quality marketing leads, marketing turnover rampant, very poor and inefficient lead flow process
    Higher quality leads are funneled (unethically) to a very small % of salesforce- not fairly distributed
    Live sales deals and accounts are routinely moved to other sales reps without notice from management
    Inefficient sales engineering process/ sales engineers 'working' at 10-20% capacity with little to no accountability and zero sense of urgency
    No training/on-boarding offered
    Work-life balance and culture is touted as loose/easy but the reality is - see above

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons above and if positive changes are truly desire and revenue wants to be increased, adjust accordingly
    This, again, will not happen as it will instantly self-incriminate current leadership team
    Actual sales leadership quote:
    -2013- sales were imbalanced by vertical, by territory, and by lead distribution system
    -2014- none of this has been changed and is in fact worse

Respect and trust have NOT been earned and is surprisingly expected

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place for an engineer -- if you get on the right project

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsChallenging, interesting product development work, especially on the newer projects.
    Very supportive, caring environment, both within the company, and within the community.
    Long-term thinking is the norm: no "plan just for the next quarter" mentality that public companies have.
    In the midst of adopting agile -- a plus if you enjoy controlling project planning as a dev team.

ConsSmall shop: if you aren't used to wearing many hats, and pitching in to help in all phases of development, then you'll find it stressful.
    Some teams are assigned to older products -- older technologies prevail there.
    Agile not adopted by upper management: see advice section for details.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo "all in" on agile: the current product planning process surrounding dev/test is very waterfall-based, and unrealistic. A lot of time is wasted dealing with high-ceremony planning and reporting formalities that don't do much good, and serve to slow dev/test/release down.

Everyone should listen to the new CEO: he knows how to take the company to the "next level".

Trying to make a dollar

ProsFlexible working hours allows me to leave early for picking up my kids. Walking trails and outdoor activities are encouraged during the workday. My manager is experienced and tries to get me better leads.

ConsThe leads coming my way are not the greatest. We fight for business but try to push whatever works. Some days are wasteful but some days my manager floats me a deal to keep me in the go. No true team feeling just typical bell ringing stuff. Not much knowledge sharing. I find it hard to have a sustaining production and make the money I was told was possible yet it seems some reps don't mind that.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan you do more marketing to get our products in the marketplace. Can you make the customer excited about wanting our stuff. If I can't make money here then anything else don't matter.

Heart has always been in right place, time for brain to step up (again)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany great and talented people. Large install base. Solid financial footing. Various groups in the company are great to work in.

As other reviews have stated, the company is in a period of transition. It's recognized that reinvention is needed and its been pulled off here before. With the right moves, it can be done again and return to greatness.

ConsExperiences at the company can be vastly different.

There are many good groups to work in. Most of the bad reviews come from the same one. Political, disorganized, and dysfunctional as advertised. A few horrible senior management hires and fires. My instinct is that this can't and won't go on much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the difficult but obvious decisions that need to be made to move the company forward.

Great company with great people headed in the right direction

ProsIpswitch is a growing company that offers challenging and rewarding opportunities to its employees. Those who will find the most success are those who are willing to put in the work and do whatever it takes to get the job done. The opportunity is what you make of it, don't expect to sit back and have a promotion fall in your lap. Put in the hard work and you will be rewarded. Great benefits! Good mix of new blood and old guard.

ConsAs with any growing company, Ipswitch has its share of growing pains and is working through them. There has been some inconsistent handling of employees depending on their location and/or the department they report into. Leadership seems to be making an effort to address this.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster open and transparent communication with employees and between departments.

Very talented people, but VERY POLITICAL

(Former Employee)
    Lexington, MA

ProsMany talented, smart people who are great to work with. Good benefits, excellent PTO, and charitable programs

ConsLots of nepotism. Lots of family members and friends of HR and management are hired and are untouchable. HR not very professional when it comes to confidentiality. Soap opera-like atmosphere. Very political. Some very weak Executives with no vision. You get further by sucking up and being part of their clique. One Sr. Executive constantly acts unprofessional, by bullying staff, gossiping, profanity, developing cliques of his friends - LOTS of DRAMA. At least one big lay-off every year, sometimes two.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hold HR and that Executive to higher professional standards.

Old technology company that has lost direction

(Current Employee)

ProsGenerous PTO. Vegan kitchen. Free coffee. Free pizza every month.

ConsCulture is awful. They don't value employee contribution and the leadership team seems out of touch with employees. We're working longer because of layoffs and good people leaving. arrrg!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please, please stop fooling us employees and customers to believe the next big thing is around the corner when we truly are not making progress and have nothing new that works. Bring back the Florida trip and twice a year profit sharing. arrg!

Once great software company has lost its way

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

ProsAs a developer, its low stress and a good place to learn a lot. Very friendly and informal atmosphere makes it easy to get to know colleagues.

ConsThough you improve your skills and become more valuable to the company, you will not be paid for it. Raises and promotions are rare and HR is out of touch with the job market. It is becoming increasingly bureaucratic by the day. There are too many managers and not enough people to actually build a product.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to structure the company to look like a large corporation, instead do whats right for Ipswitch. "Fake it till you make it" isnt going to work.

Worked for Ipswitch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ipswitch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ipswitch CEO Joe Krivickas. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Ipswitch employees.