Iredale Mineral Cosmetics

Jane Iredale

Good Job for sales experience

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Iredale Mineral Cosmetics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a great product and performs as it should. The variety of channels in which to distribute the product line is vast and can be fun. As a new person to sales it's a great way to learn how to manage a territory and build relationships on many levels. Overall the pay is more beneficial for someone who is starting out in sales and the culture is relaxed with wonderful people at the corporate level to work with. Very family oriented staff.

Cons

- lacks personal growth opportunities
    - poor compensation package overall (was once very lucrative)
    - poor management
    - lack of direction
    - lack of customer focus

Advice to Management

change the management and listen to the sales consultants before you create new sales initiatives

2. Don't bother until they get their act together

Former Employee - Technology in Great Barrington, MA
    Former Employee - Technology in Great Barrington, MA

I worked at Iredale Mineral Cosmetics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product! Jane is very sweet, but as others have mentioned, conflict averse. The benefits were good (75% off the product!) and you can bring your dog to work which was always fun. My department co-workers were wonderful. Lot's of other folks were really nice as well.

Cons

Senior Management is completely incompetent and have egos that will overfill a room. And most of them believe themselves to be genius-level but only 1 actually is. Middle management roles are given not to those with actual talent, but whoever has been there the longest or has gained favor with an important player. Management training is unheard of with predictable results. In fact, there isn't any training for anyone. It's extremely political and there's lots of folks with patronage jobs and others hired to do the jobs of the incompetent patrons.

My boss was looking for a skillset that won't ever be found in Great Barrington. Not for what they're offering anyhow. She didn't even speak to me for 6 months! She'd only smile awkwardly at me in the hallways. ('Hiiiii...") So unprofessional. I was told I was not allowed to ask questions directly to the consultants running the project because it would cost too much money so I did the best that I could.

Oh, and there's 1 mens room, frequently in bad shape thanks to zero ventilation and mystery men with poor dietary habits.

Advice to Management

My current boss says he is responsible for getting his employees the tools they need to succeed. Iredale doesn't share that philosophy. Iredale needs to clean house and get the incompetent family members out of there. They are a huge financial and temporal drain on the company. And invest in some training for your employees! And provide them with the tools they need to succeed!.

thrown under the bus with politics and incompetent, egotistical mismanagement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Barrington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Barrington, MA

I worked at Iredale Mineral Cosmetics full-time

Pros

The product is amazing--best in the industry. Medical benefits are fantastic. 401K w IMC contribution is a huge benefit.

Cons

NO training whatsoever for sales staff or management. Management is generally inept and are not held accountable for inconsistencies and bullying. HR department is a joke. They are also experiencing serious revenue issues due to overstretching expenses for the new building. No advancement possible, despite what is promised. Jane is insular and infallible and does not like dealing with any sort of conflict; Consequently, she suffers under the delusion that everything must be sunshine and roses at all times. Anyone with intelligence, imagination, or ambition will suffer disillusionment at the hands of a few people clawing their way over each other for their own agendas in management.

Advice to Management

LIsten to sales staff, even when it's uncomfortable. Improve compensation; choose more realistic sales goals. Actively seek ongoing improvement in management and communication training.

Great opportunity for money, but not sanity.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Great Barrington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Great Barrington, MA

I worked at Iredale Mineral Cosmetics

Pros

The brand itself and the quality of the goods it produces outshine it's competitors.

Cons

Directors and senior management are ineffective leaders and tend to micro-manage. The VP has made poor business decision that have cost many of the company's employees their jobs.

Advice to Management

I would advise them to support their teams. A great manager gives good feedback and constructive criticism as well as giving praise where due in an effort to make their teams look good. If a manager highlights his/her team it only serves to make the manager shine as a leader, not deter from his/her own ability.