Iron Data

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Sechler

Growing company with opportunities for growth.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat work life balance. Mature individuals who have a lot of experience. Company values employees and treats everyone with respect. Company values diversity.

ConsGrowing company so there are lot of challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart more employee team building events, Stop mediocre snacks (better snacks), Continue with communication.

Hard to not get frustrated working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

Pros*flexible work schedule
    *casual environment – can wear jeans everyday and shorts on friday's
    *parking garage
    *good location in Raleigh
    *talented pool of employees
    *ability to travel

Cons*Pay is well below market for all positions
    *Versa software is archaic and was not designed well.
    *Product management does not exist so all of the software updates were bandaids for other issues which leaves the software with multiple bandaids so when code is updated something that was previously working then breaks
    *high turnover - in the short time I was there 20 people left the company
    *Resourcing is an issue, especially with developers. Developers are assigned to a project for a month and then put on another project. It delays client deliverables and wastes time as new developers need ramp up time.
    *Training does not exist. It was incredibly challenging to get help to learn software, project methodology and resource responsibilities/guidelines.
    *there were only a few senior people that knew the software well and they were overwhelmed with all of their projects and people asking them questions so it was hard to get assistance. I once had to schedule time to ask somebody questions because their time was so valuable and they were incredibly busy. I could only do an hour every once in awhile when that individual was free. It was absolutely ridiculous
    *written training/user guide documentation is outdated and inaccurate.
    *It was unclear which items are configurable within system for BA to work on versus sending to development
    *junior staff did not get any training and were not mentored as promised.
    *I did not feel like I gained any valuable skills while I worked there.
    *multiple lawsuits filed against company
    *when my project would have been over this year I was unsure if there would have been anything for me to have worked on
    *company is still in startup mode but is well past the startup phase
    *there is no management of people only management of projects upper management is slow to bring about change. *managers within the office are great but have resistance to change from Upper Management
    *If you are a entry level business analyst this is not the place for you
    *no work life balance – many people work work late nights and weekends to keep their project deliverables on track
    huge risk with having only 1 person who can perform a task without any backup. When resource was on vacation the work would have to wait until they returned
    *communication is lacking in all areas especially from the top down

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the compensation issue and show your associates you are vested and are making changes.
    Address resourcing issues and give people support instead of sticking them in chaotic situations when they onboard. If you want to make Raleigh the headquarters for your organization you have a lot of work ahead of you. Communicate more and be quicker about implementing change.

Organizational issues and resource restrained combine to make a pretty interesting challenge

ProsI like having autonomy to make decisions and take action. I have a senior leadership team with great experience yet I still have the opportunity to make an impact. I particularly like my boss, which is a very major aspect of my job satisfaction.

ConsWe have organizational challenges which are difficult to resolve. Spending is tight so we need to be very cooperative to solve challenges and keep costs down.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more. We need to hear about the corporate plans and strategy to stay focused and motivated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The only thing that changes are the faces

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

Pros-- the paychecks never bounced
    -- the application is worthwhile -- helps Veterans get the benefits they deserve
    -- Convenient N. Raleigh office location

Cons-- PTO and benefits are abysmal (though they SWEAR they are "competitive")
    -- Manila and Toronto employees get significantly more paid holidays which makes for resentment in the US
    -- Terrible pay
    -- Fishbowl office space -- you don't even have cubicles... just a small desk with half-height partitions and walls so you can see and here EVERYTHING
    -- Executive management refuses to "stay the course" and enforce good processes and then when poor quality software is shipped, they wonder why it is terrible.
    -- Old-timers from original Raleigh product team refuse to change and actively sabotages any efforts to improve software or quality

Advice to Senior Management-- Get rid of the vulture capitalists.
    -- Provide a competitive benefits package with realistic PTO
    -- Note to HR: 14 days of PTO that you can not carry over from one year to the next is NOT generous -- particularly with the disparity in paid holidays between Toronto and the US.
    -- Iron Data will never succeed unless they are firmly committed to implementing and enforcing software processes.

Employees are just a number

Clerical (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsI cannot think of one positive thing with this company. Leadership was a total joke. As long as the local supervisor had her lackeys do her bidding, they could do whatever they wanted on company time, including run their own private business

Consno opportunity for advancement whatsoever. They did however lay me off after 8 years and then try to hire me back with no benefits and at minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat all employees equally, give all employees opportunity for advancement and don't take your employees for granted.

Do not Apply for any Support Position

N/A (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

Pros- Great co-workers
    - Not in RTP
    - 14 days off
    - Covered parking garage
    - Friday snacks
    - Free coffee
    - Casual dress code

Really not much more to make it an attractive work place

Cons- No training or outdated training material
    - Very poor management and disconnected upper management
    - No processes
    - Below market pay, no bonus, no comp pay
    - Have to take PTO for sick days and doctor appointments
    - Must account for your time and fill in time sheet
    - Mediocre product and many lawsuits against the company
    - No growth opportunities
    - Loud cubicles set up
    - Contract positions get cut after 6 months

Advice to Senior ManagementTo retain talent, you must:

- Provide competitive compensation for your current staff
    - Enough resources to support your product and your clients

An employee survey and client satisfaction survey will shock you.

Average company, average pay, no opportunity for growth

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsSmall size, not much work pressure in certain teams. There are no training opportunities. Office culture is ok, not great. Management talk about Iron Data values but do not abide by them.

ConsPay is low and below market, lot of H1Bs. There are not many experienced people. Management favors friends for promotion. No opportunity for growth. Management talk about values but they do not follow them. No opportunity for growth. There is a very rigid hierarchical structure within the company and management is unapproachable and unfriendly. There is no opportunity for flexible work and no flexible work schedules. You are expected to sit in the office for eight hours whether there is work or not. Management cares more about physical presence than quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize real talent within company and nurture them. Do not show nepotism and favoritism.

great job

Prosflexible management and supportive community

Consthere really aren't any downsides unique to IDS .

Awesome Company

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGreat management and have the ability to work on interesting projects with customers

ConsThere is no cons that I see for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep leading and growing the business.

Growing Company Hitting It's Stride

Pros-large amount of growth, over 100 employees added in 2012 (25% increase in overall staff)
    -Senior management gets it, little micro management, positive work environment

Cons-very fractured due to nature of company's growth (acquisitions)
    -little done in the way of onboarding/training
    -company would rather provide experience than compensation leading to high turnover as ambitious staff look for better opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your staff.

Worked for Iron Data? Contribute to the Community!