Iron Mountain Inc

www.ironmountain.com

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok(in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis(in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS(in 12 reviews)

They do not appreciate their employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe only great thing about working at Iron Mountain is that they give quarterly bonuses but who knows how long they will last with the direction the company is taking.

ConsRecent lay off, out sourcing, disorganization, micro managing, no clear career path, they say one thing and do another. To top it off, you can receive excellent quality review scores and leave on good terms with the company but the HR policy does not allow managers to provide references or letters of recommendation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging is not effective. Show your employees that you trust them and encourage them. If they believe in themselves, they will work harder and they will want to stay with the company.

Great Culture

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTraditional Fortune 500 company with a great culture and co-workers that were more like family. Ability to advance and no limitations put on earnings (sales).

ConsExecutive management possessed strong leadership and vision at one time, not sure that it is this way today.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue employee development. It keeps morale and tenure on the positive side.

Too Big Too Change

Account Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIM des business with ()% of Fortune 500 companies. Their customers are great and a pleasure to work with. Top Corporate Leadership communicates effectively and seems to know about the local level challenges.

ConsTop Leadership understands the challenges but can't seem to alleviate them for the local offices. There are so many obstacles to success it is hard to stay focused on the goal. Customers have very bad experiences. High turnover. Local Management lacks leadership. Local offices are corrupt, harbor bullies and negativity, and steal your soul as you walk through the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten our organization so that you can fend off path dependence. Stop promoting and hiring managers that have no leadership abilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pathetic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSure can't think of any pros other than the people I worked directly with were great people. Sr management and up in my opinion was useless.

ConsPoor leadership, cutting every corner possible to save a dollar for the shareholders, not telling their employees whats really going on (we're making our own assumptions, believe me). If you are not sr. management, they won't listen to you. You are just a number. Ethics are slipping. Outsourcing jobs overseas. Poor communication to our customers about the changes and assuming they will just be OK with it. Laying off people without ANY consideration of training needed for those who now have to take on those tasks, aside from the fact that you just layed off key people who fully supported your business.

Advice to Senior ManagementINVEST in your business and the departments that can help grow your business and quit taking money away from your overworked employees to line your shareholders pockets. UNDERSTAND the business instead of assuming that company you acquired is a waste of your time. It was once VERY profitable for you and you sucked every dollar out of it you could. You don't understand it and are quick to make assumptions and will affect a lot of lives on your poor decisions. Encourage job growth in the USA...and pay fair wages, instead of jumping on the bandwagon with other companies whose VPs cut all salaries but their own. Quit piling on task after task after task and expect your OT labor to decline. If an employee can't do 12 hours of work in an 8 hour day, there is something wrong with managment, NOT that employee. Take the blinders off and quit taking your employees for granted. Your employees are your BACKBONE. Take too many vertibrae out and it will collapse.

Great company, good balance between work and family. Strong management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIron Mountain solution is a need, not a want, getting in front of a customer is easy as digital storage is critical for any company.

ConsIt's all about the boxes. As Iron Mountain continues to develop a digital solution around protecting a customers information selling will be easier but boxes will always be an issue.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, flexibility and no micromanagement. Training wasn't overwhelming.

ConsTop heavy with regards to management

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

It was a great company during its growth stage in the 90s & 00s

Director (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people, teams, and synergies created, cultivated, and helped drive the mission, vision, and values at Iron Mountain. A very impressive service organization that worked very hard at creating consistent operations in North America. Impressive CEO and leadership team.

ConsThe Digital acquisition(s) were not in the best interest of Iron Mountain. I was not surprised that institutional investors pressured IM to deliver better returns or divest. The wrong successors were picked for some senior management transitions, but they seem to have a good team in place now.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on core competencies and drive efficiency and improvement. Hire competent Associates who are qualified. Retain experience and expertise. Turnover should stay around 20-25% at the most.

The Mountain's climb is arduous

ProsThe company's mission is critical

ConsManagement have their favorites and if you're not one of them, look out.

Good Money, clueless CEO

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat Pay - they have to pay well, else talent wont come to them
    Great work-life - Most people have 9-5 schedules, or work remotely
    Nice office location
    Perks - coffee, Quarterly Pizza, beer etc.

ConsCEO is disengaged. He has "broken" the company into small pieces, created fiefdoms and let those people rule. Problem is "those" people are not leaders, are not smart. The head of a major BU was a truck driver - and see where the revenue and earning of that group is going.
    CEO flies private, while we have to pinch every expense.
    They have a VERY HARD time recruiting executives. CEO search took 2 yrs. CMO - 4 and still counting. Head of a major BU - 1 yr. No accomplished exec wants to touch w a 10 ft pole.
    Huge salary disparities - I knew Sr. Managers making 75K as well as 155K base. --> Come on guys be fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO. Promote within.

ugh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved my coworkers, always there to help each other. Not all managers or supervisors I have heard great things about, but I was really lucky with my team. Flex time available to most is great.

ConsGlobalization is happening more and more, letting go of a lot of good people to do this. Even the people staying do not feel stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement around me has handled the hard issues pretty well and been as nice about it as you can be, but it would be nice if upper management would consider keeping more jobs in the states.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!