Iron Mountain Inc

www.ironmountain.com

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok(in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis(in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS(in 12 reviews)

ugh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLoved my coworkers, always there to help each other. Not all managers or supervisors I have heard great things about, but I was really lucky with my team. Flex time available to most is great.

ConsGlobalization is happening more and more, letting go of a lot of good people to do this. Even the people staying do not feel stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement around me has handled the hard issues pretty well and been as nice about it as you can be, but it would be nice if upper management would consider keeping more jobs in the states.

Consultant

ProsCommute and work-life balance

ConsOutsourcing of jobs to India

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like cattle

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Billing Specialist (Current Employee) Royersford, PA

ProsWith a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

ConsThe organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

Enjoyed working with the people there

Document Imaging (Former Employee) Livermore, CA

ProsFor those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Consdidn't get hired on permanently

Watch your back. Work somewhere else where your work will be valued.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Collegeville, PA

ProsThere were good benefits once upon a time, but that started changing as soon as the Board of Directors started looking at Iron Mountain as a Hedge Fund REIT Cash Cow instead of as a Records Management Company. Work Life Balance is a joke and you can expect to risk your life when the Mountain stays open on the most dangerous of snow days.

ConsCustomer Service employees, especially in the PCS Pooled Team, are sent into the 1st floor fishbowl and treated like indentured servants. Management makes you feel like they are doing you a favor by not laying you off. This is true in a way, because over 400 people have been laid off in the last 6 months. Upper Management does not care about their employees, customers, or quality of work. All Upper Management cares about now is the Real Estate that Iron Mountain is sitting on that can eventually be sold off.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to remove the Hedge Fund mentality from Iron Mountain. Your current path will eventually bleed the company dry. It is foolish to think that customers are not noticing the layoffs and changes in service.

My advice: If you are currently working at Iron Mountain, watch your back and plan an exit strategy now. If you are thinking about working at Iron Mountain, work somewhere else where your work will be valued.

Offshore jobs then less than 30 days later post the same positions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Royersford, PA

ProsGood front line employees and work life balance is ok

ConsSenior management that is out of touch with reality and lower level managers allowed to pursue their personal agendas. No room for advancement and lack of strategic plan has employees constantly worried about whether they will have a job tomorrow.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being reactive. Losing a CFO and a long time executive like Harry E should tell you something.

Ever changing

Human Resources (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat co-workers. Lots of opportunities (non-manager) to be a part of the changes that will make Iron Mountain the international company (Bill Meaney and BOD) is designing. Very modern approach to new technology.

ConsIron Mountain is professionally recognized for its fast past company restructure(s) and new technology(ies) rolled out. Rollouts have not allow time and resources for accuracy audit, corrective enhancements and knowledge dissemination. VP, Manager and field employees are without knowledge or support as they navigate these changes. And NO, a “How to” is not adequate support in the field.
    Iron Mountain (and investors) is still betting on its REIT conversion, regardless the US company continues to move its structure and resources internationally.

Good company to work for but be prepared to be a small fish in a big pond.

Transportation Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsTwo weeks vacation to start, medical benefits are reasonable affordable, able to buy discounted stock options, good pay, good people below General Management.

ConsToo caught up in being non-union, too caught up in metrics instead of being customer-focused, stock price has not changed so to make it move new CEO laid off over 800 people in 2013-stock still hasn't moved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving an open door policy is useless if the people are not listened to and are lied to just to keep them quiet.

A lot of work, little pay, understaffed, all about the numbers, no recognition for working hard

ProsVacation time, flexible hours, managers seem to be paid decent

ConsPoor management (in my department, other departments had great managers), recent Layoffs, workload

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees better, train managers and supervisors how to manage with professionalism

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!