Iron Mountain Inc

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.9

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Iron Mountain values its employees and provides significant benefits to its employees. A well rounded and employee centric benefits plan.

Cons

A lot of organizational change in the past five years but it is on the track to complete its transformation.

Salespeople Beware!

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent hardworking people on operationally front
    Flexible schedule for sales
    Many tenured folks who truly care about the company

Cons

Document Storage is a dying industry, plain and simple.
    Layoffs will continue as industry trends away from paper toward digitization
    Endless recreating strategy and organization for sales

Focus on keeping your essential workers by concentrating on a multi-year vision. it's time to look in the mirror and unload all the top heavy management who only get in the way of the producers. Marketing/sales enablement/and mid line managers need to go.

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

no pros at the moment

Cons

Company has problems calculating and paying commissions. Challenging workplace. Very unsuccessful attempt at off shoring customer service, contracts and billing. Sales job is asked to compensate and meet unrealistic target goals

Was once a great place to work, but not anymore.

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

Good location and nice new physical work environment
    Flexibility to work from home
    Good people to work with if you don't count management

Cons

The place has become very political since the hiring of the current CEO in early 2013. He, himself, is almost never around and is really very detached from the business. He spends more time flying back to Asia (where he was based for 25 years) or to Australia for weeks at a time to attend board meetings of Qantas Airlines. He is also very quick to spend the company's money so that he can fly on private planes or attend the World Economic Forum in Switzerland, while at the same time people are being laid off left and right. He has placed responsibility for the company strategy with an executive whose background is in Human Resources. Nobody knows where the company is going from one day to the next. Career advancement is not good unless you are one of the favored few.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Release of Information in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Release of Information in Dallas, TX

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly employees, Community involvement activities, Benefit package was superior

Cons

Upper Management could not relate to their employees. Rules were not observed by all employees due to favorites receiving no reprimand for failure to comply. Dress Codes, Lunch time allotted.

Opportunity for growth was available. Corporate training was excellent. Favoritism was running rampant and often not acknowleged

Detached Management

Former Employee - Record Center Specialist in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Record Center Specialist in Aurora, CO

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regular hours, okay benefits/time off. It was nice to get a reward for five years of service.

Cons

Compensation weak to average. Office was a haven of gossip and backstabbing that was never addressed by management. Enjoyed the people I worked with, but when new management came in they forced out, for no apparent reason other than the new manager didn't like her, a 9-year employee who was a stellar worker and had irreplaceable depth of knowledge. It was incredibly disheartening to see such treatment to someone who had been so loyal. New manager immediately disregarded everything we had been doing in order to adopt more uniform Iron Mountain procedures without bothering to discover why our customized systems existed or how they functioned. New schedules were created and employees asked to request the days off they preferred, with the implication that senior employees would receive first choice. I was the most senior employee at the time, but was given my last choice, and was told it was because I knew too much so the office needed me on the day off I'd requested.

I left not long after that.

Management was blind to the unique needs of our record center, which was dedicated to health care accounts. Uniformity is fine, but ignoring the expertise and knowledge of the staff leads to resentment and ultimately hurts the clients.

The Mountain... The Mountain... what will become of the Mountain?

Former Employee - Sales in Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Royersford, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many utterly fabulous truly caring employees at the customer interaction levels. Corporate soul (if such a thing exists) is honorable & generous.

Cons

It was astonishing in a sales setting to have not one manager who had experienced any aspect of the job for which they were actively managing employees... To have new employees not able to ask their managers how to do their jobs (because they hadn't a clue) was quite completely insane. When I was there I was in on the founding of 3 departments (all successful)... We had to invent the job, do the job & then train new employees (as mentors) because the metrics driven management didn't include actual knowledge of the job as an ingredient! Yikes...A larger part of the job comprised increasing spend from larger accounts. This was hindered by the gargantuan task of making the Mountain appear as a professional seamless organization to its customers. The is to say it took much energies to make the absolute definition of dysfunction appear to be something that it wasn't. Nevertheless we were successful. This was mitigated by the fact that 150 companies were formed into one & unifying culture is not easy...Initially the atmosphere/culture was congenial almost collegial. In the early days Iron Mountain prided itself on never having had a mass layoff.. With the retirement of the much beloved CEO/Founder there was the expected shift. The new CEO came from the Airline Industry & appeared to lack the charismatic character of his predecessor. In fact initially he seemed to be sort of a cold fish. Outsourcing contracts to India (with much bounceback & lack of understanding from same) has hopefully been mitigated. The few remaining US contract reps had to do all the work because the Indians were clueless. Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers...
    Moral has crashed. A wonderful culture has been gutted... Mass annual layoffs are now the norm... I realized that from 30,000 feet this is all meaningless. The core business of IM is not really the business of Iron Mountain (as is the case in many business)... The real business is the money borrowing business. The business is to statistically massage the numbers to appear as pristine to wall street as possible by MBA driven numerical gymnastics.This facilitates the lines of credit necessary to keep the whole ball of wax moving... Part of these metrics includes finding earnings by massive layoffs... Hence the new culture has arrived... A competitor said in a recent job interview that Iron Mountain is now just a "stock play"...

Have all Senior & Mid level management do a "field job" for 3 months so that they can have some understanding of the actual business...

Stay mute and you're all right; no guaranteed work

Former Employee - Data Entry in Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Windsor, CT

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sent there by a temp company. It was good in some ways and pretty close to home. Hours were decent and while no room for advancement into a full time permanent job I enjoyed the data entry and typing while there.

Cons

Boss a good person but turned a blind eye/deaf ear to problems including when the issue of staff in that department with trash mouths who were loud and too disruptive for me to concentrate, got to be too much for me. I have since been ostracised simply because I asked nicely to have my seating arrangement changed so I could continue to be as productive as I was before. Just as quickly as when they extended the offer to have me come back, so did they rescind the offer once I re-checked for having my desk moved elsewhere.

It would be more beneficial whether it be temps or permanent staff, to enforce a quiet, or quieTER work area. The other thing is, written or not written, policiesx
     such as abiding by the dress code were not always enforced. One time seven years ago I got sent home TWICE to change into another outfit when the same type of outfit was okay another day prior and then all of a sudden became an issue. Even boss does not always adhere to dress code rules. A good pressure cooker for workpmace animosity if I do say so myself.

Okay Company to Work For

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

Culture, Consistency, Professional Client Support, Nimble Flat Organization, Decent Bonuses

Cons

Reorg, Lack of Understanding of Unique Business Units

Iron Mountain corporate has made huge changes to unique business units, severly affecting the function and adaptability in competitive markets. Decisions which are seen as "strategic" is nothing close to it as they compare Records Management operational models with a business line that is vastly different, therefore setting up the business line for failure. Key management attempted to understand this unique business line and altered organizational structure without trying to understand the complexity. This was the 3rd or 4th wave of changes in a matter of years (all of which hasn't improved our business line) but made it worse as they continue to perform "analytics" which drive their decision-making and give them the false notion that it will catapult the business. Learn to understand the business in a deep manner.

Good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc (more than 5 years)

Pros

IRM has a good workflife balance.

Cons

Can be a political environment aka boys club

Listen to your employees and the market place drivers.