Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Too Big Too Change

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

IM des business with ()% of Fortune 500 companies. Their customers are great and a pleasure to work with. Top Corporate Leadership communicates effectively and seems to know about the local level challenges.

Cons

Top Leadership understands the challenges but can't seem to alleviate them for the local offices. There are so many obstacles to success it is hard to stay focused on the goal. Customers have very bad experiences. High turnover. Local Management lacks leadership. Local offices are corrupt, harbor bullies and negativity, and steal your soul as you walk through the door.

Flatten our organization so that you can fend off path dependence. Stop promoting and hiring managers that have no leadership abilities.

Pathetic

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Sure can't think of any pros other than the people I worked directly with were great people. Sr management and up in my opinion was useless.

Cons

Poor leadership, cutting every corner possible to save a dollar for the shareholders, not telling their employees whats really going on (we're making our own assumptions, believe me). If you are not sr. management, they won't listen to you. You are just a number. Ethics are slipping. Outsourcing jobs overseas. Poor communication to our customers about the changes and assuming they will just be OK with it. Laying off people without ANY consideration of training needed for those who now have to take on those tasks, aside from the fact that you just layed off key people who fully supported your business.

INVEST in your business and the departments that can help grow your business and quit taking money away from your overworked employees to line your shareholders pockets. UNDERSTAND the business instead of assuming that company you acquired is a waste of your time. It was once VERY profitable for you and you sucked every dollar out of it you could. You don't understand it and are quick to make assumptions and will affect a lot of lives on your poor decisions. Encourage job growth in the USA...and pay fair wages, instead of jumping on the bandwagon with other companies whose VPs cut all salaries but their own. Quit piling on task after task after task and expect your OT labor to decline. If an employee can't do 12 hours of work in an 8 hour day, there is something wrong with managment, NOT that employee. Take the blinders off and quit taking your employees for granted. Your employees are your BACKBONE. Take too many vertibrae out and it will collapse.

Great company, good balance between work and family. Strong management.

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Iron Mountain solution is a need, not a want, getting in front of a customer is easy as digital storage is critical for any company.

Cons

It's all about the boxes. As Iron Mountain continues to develop a digital solution around protecting a customers information selling will be easier but boxes will always be an issue.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Mountain's climb is arduous

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

The company's mission is critical

Cons

Management have their favorites and if you're not one of them, look out.

Great company

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility and no micromanagement. Training wasn't overwhelming.

Cons

Top heavy with regards to management

None.

It was a great company during its growth stage in the 90s & 00s

Former Employee - Director  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, teams, and synergies created, cultivated, and helped drive the mission, vision, and values at Iron Mountain. A very impressive service organization that worked very hard at creating consistent operations in North America. Impressive CEO and leadership team.

Cons

The Digital acquisition(s) were not in the best interest of Iron Mountain. I was not surprised that institutional investors pressured IM to deliver better returns or divest. The wrong successors were picked for some senior management transitions, but they seem to have a good team in place now.

Focus on core competencies and drive efficiency and improvement. Hire competent Associates who are qualified. Retain experience and expertise. Turnover should stay around 20-25% at the most.

A great place to work and gain experience.

Current Employee - Digital Imaging  in  Boyers, PA
    Current Employee - Digital Imaging in Boyers, PA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The managers and coworkers are wonderful to work with and it is a team atmosphere.
    Low stress.
    Managers understand if you need to schedule a day off, they are family oriented and understand if you have kids. They work with you if you want to make up the lost time.

Cons

The only con would be you usually are hired as a temp.

I had a great time with the company, until my job was outsourced...it felt like a family there

Former Employee - Tax Accountant  in  Royersford, PA
    Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Royersford, PA

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Creating budgets, working with outside consultants, great people to work with

Cons

The only thing I might have an issue with is top management has a hard time being transparent in regards to upcoming lay-offs...

Open up and be honest with employees, especially in regards to lay-offs. You demand honesty and integrity so in order to get this out of your employees you need to take the lead...

Good Money, clueless CEO

Current Employee - Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Pay - they have to pay well, else talent wont come to them
    Great work-life - Most people have 9-5 schedules, or work remotely
    Nice office location
    Perks - coffee, Quarterly Pizza, beer etc.

Cons

CEO is disengaged. He has "broken" the company into small pieces, created fiefdoms and let those people rule. Problem is "those" people are not leaders, are not smart. The head of a major BU was a truck driver - and see where the revenue and earning of that group is going.
    CEO flies private, while we have to pinch every expense.
    They have a VERY HARD time recruiting executives. CEO search took 2 yrs. CMO - 4 and still counting. Head of a major BU - 1 yr. No accomplished exec wants to touch w a 10 ft pole.
    Huge salary disparities - I knew Sr. Managers making 75K as well as 155K base. --> Come on guys be fair.

Get a new CEO. Promote within.

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons

- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Iron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!